Thailand's COVID-19 cases continue to surge with 8,263 new cases

webfact

Posted after the holidays?

Thai News Reports: Is it prohibited to travel across the provinces? The Ministry of Public Health recommends that if it is really necessary, you can travel normally. But you must strictly follow public health measures. #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1479715259413893122

• Confused 1

Taken from the Pattaya News report:

Among 7,802 local new domestic cases, excluding the cases in the prisons, the highest number of infections listed by provinces was discovered in Chonburi with 847, ฺBangkok with 669, Ubon Ratchathani with 552, Samut Prakan with 542, and Phuket with 385.

The fatalities were 8 men and 6 women (All Thais) with an average age between 23 to 93. 88 percent of them had prior health issues or were elderly.

Two of them reportedly had previous chronic health problems. Nine of them were aged more than 60. Three of them did not report personal health problems.

https://tpnnational.com/2022/01/08/thailand-reports-8263-daily-covid-19-infections-with-14-additional-deaths/

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Thai virologist says Omicron may account for 30% of new COVID-19 cases

Dr. Yong Poovorawan said that RT-PCR tests in Thailand do not examine the S gene in the virus, which means that they cannot detect the presence of the Omicron variant.

Read more: https://thaip.bs/AUchCcR

Well they better get busy doing full genomic sequencing then. Strange the PCR tests in Thailand cannot detect the S gene drop out but they do in other countries

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Posted after the holidays?

Thai News Reports: Is it prohibited to travel across the provinces? The Ministry of Public Health recommends that if it is really necessary, you can travel normally. But you must strictly follow public health measures. #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1479715259413893122

Another insanity laden recommendation.  People know they need to follow health measures.  The reason Omicron spread like it did in certain locations was the people did follow the rules and partied 2021 into the past.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is expected to surge. That is the nature of Omi. The surge means little unless it is accompanied by a large increase in deaths. This thing will just burn itself out quickly.

The surge is good, not bad. Stop the panic and stop the nonsense. 

I agree. There is worldwide hysteria over what has become a rather ordinary illness now. I'm not a Covid denier and that was not true of previous strains but this is what I've read and seen first hand. I think at this point many either profit or enjoy the societal control Covid panic fosters and want to keep the party going as long as possible. There is nothing stopping most places including Thailand from reopening and reaping a huge economic benefit other than paranoia and delusion at this point. Covid has melted the brains and reasoning of millions. 

Edited by wasabi
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Want to know the difference? Western countries had taken the path of making wearing masks no longer mandatory and that lead to where they are today. Now they've reversed that decision. Thailand didn't take that path. 

And all those football fans attending the matches packing into stadiums without wearing masks, those had to be great spreaders and contributed to current figures. 

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Thai News Reports: 533,948 people were vaccinated yesterday.

Most people were receiving their booster dose.

71.4%

64.8%

10.8%

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1479698448202940416

People will have noticed that previous articles talk about omicron being as dangerous as the flu in a heavily boosted population.

As you can see from the above boosted figure, 10%, that doesn't include Thailand.

That figure could keep domestic and border restrictions in place for quite a while to come.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So Chonburi is still following suit with 10% of the daily numbers reported.  I wonder how many ATK test positives through the centers they set up they have had.

Drove past Treetown in Pattaya last night and the mobile testing station wasn’t even there? Didn’t notice any bars open in the complex either but wasn’t paying too much attention?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sitti said:

Want to know the difference? Western countries had taken the path of making wearing masks no longer mandatory and that lead to where they are today. Now they've reversed that decision. Thailand didn't take that path. 

And all those football fans attending the matches packing into stadiums without wearing masks, those had to be great spreaders and contributed to current figures. 

Yet the curve they are seeing is a spike and like an icepick with just as sharp as a drop backwards.  Us will be seeing what the UK and SA are seeing within the month and Thailand hopefully by February. Quote below from an earlier post and link I posted.

"Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Rochelle Walensky said Friday there is a good chance that the U.S. will follow the "ice-pick"-shaped curve of South Africa's omicron surge of the COVID variant, but cautioned that it could roll through different parts of the country at various times, as previous waves have."

21 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

I appreciate all the posters who take the time and effort to publish all the daily figures.

However, what the Thai government feed to the masses is a total disgrace.

Anyone who knows what's going on on the ground in Pattaya, knows that these figures wouldn't even cover bar/entertainment staff that have tested positive and our self isolating.

The Thai government are not only feeding their citizens lies they are sucking some knaive tourists into a covid testing incarceration trap.

It's a disgrace. The unofficial figure in the UK, for a virus as contagious as measles, is 500,000 infections a day.

Yep, there are a lot of bars closed, some even with signs up saying that it’s because of Covid?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Trip Hop said:

Yep, there are a lot of bars closed, some even with signs up saying that it’s because of Covid?

Your previous post you were,nt paying attention? 

14 minutes ago, Trip Hop said:

Drove past Treetown in Pattaya last night and the mobile testing station wasn’t even there? Didn’t notice any bars open in the complex either but wasn’t paying too much attention?

8 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

PCR test positive cases, total of 9,508 official new infections. 14 official covid deaths recorded.

Rapid tests positive cases, 1,766 bringing the total of PCR and ATK results to 11,274

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/

Rolling 7 day average chart (up to 6th Jan)

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

image.png.1a44df15b2475492a81f81d9d21ead55.png

image.png.3dc741a16df40d1fbab818f708a7a5f3.png

Its interesting to note how low the number of ATK positive tests are.

The PCR testing must be ramping up significantly.

And Anutin has said there is a rise in both Omicron, - and also Delta.

If he is to be believed, then there could possibly be a whole world of hurt coming Thailands way very soon.

Until this statement, I thought the new wave of Infections were from Omicron only, but if there is a resurgence of Delta also, that changes a lot of parameters for dealing with this outbreak.

Edited by Cake Monster
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, mommysboy said:

In UK, the death rate appears very low. We really need a bit of proportion and context here. 

Also in the UK, the unsung hero appears to be AZ, due its T cell protection, and that may bode well for Thailand too.  It really is a life saver for old people, and possibly the best overall.

I believe Thais are more accessible to public health advice, and this combined with some regulation may keep cases down to around 50k a day imo, compared with 170k in UK and some European countries.

Testing numbers will limit  the published  cases in Thailand.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Top official describes the popular ‘Test and Go’ entry as a loophole exposing Thailand to Omicron

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) on Friday did not go as far as public health officials had demanded by banning alcohol sales nationwide. Nonetheless, it is believed that a further tightening of regulations has begun. Business leaders are warning the government the country cannot deal with further lockdowns with confidence among foreign tourists already damaged by the suspension of incoming tourism with 87% of potential travellers rejecting the complicated Sandbox schemes.

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2022/01/08/test-and-go-blamed-for-omicron-in-thailand/

Test And Go off the table for good the article says.

Whilst even i wouldn't be as pessimistic as this, it really does show that the Thai authorities are likely to do anything, at anytime, in a gross overreaction to a weakened variant like omicron.

450,000 tourist arrivals in 2021, the vast majority in the last 2 months of the year on the  Test-Wait-Maybe-Go-Hospital scheme.

Strip out necessary returnees and it's a drop in the ocean.

This Thai government is heading down the road of big brother CCP.

Two years into this pandemic and it's clear as day, they couldn't care less if tourism ever returns.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Test And Go off the table for good the article says.

Whilst even i wouldn't be as pessimistic as this, it really does show that the Thai authorities are likely to do anything, at anytime, in a gross overreaction to a weakened variant like omicron.

450,000 tourist arrivals in 2021, the vast majority in the last 2 months of the year on the  Test-Wait-Maybe-Go-Hospital scheme.

Strip out necessary returnees and it's a drop in the ocean.

This Thai government is heading down the road of big brother CCP.

Two years into this pandemic and it's clear as day, they couldn't care less if tourism ever returns.

Guess we need to wait and see what is actually agreed upon and how those already approved will be treated.  As I indicated earlier I know many Thais who had been given the time off from work in the US, made and paid for flights and obtained the Test N Go Approval for arriving just before the Chinese New Year.  I myself also have a return and an approval for February through the Test N Go and await what they decide to actually implement, it does not affect me as harshly as it will my friends as they can only take 2 weeks off from the restaurants they work in.

Whatever they publish and move to they need to notify each person approved and give them an option instead of just saying to bad so sad Canceled.  An option to change to a 7 day AQ for my approval here in BKK would be better for me then flying to Phuket and then back to Bangkok, but then TIT.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

Get days of no reports then we now have 2 in one day! Creeping up now from 54 earlier reported.

Health officials on Saturday (Jan 8th) reported 75 new COVID-19 cases, 43 of which were found in Hua Hin.

Elsewhere in the province, 6 cases were found in Pranburi, 9 cases in Sam Roi Yot, 2 cases in Kuiburi, zero case in Thap Sakae, 4 cases in Bang Saphan, 1 case in Bang Saphan Noi, and 4 cases in Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan. No new deaths were reported today.

A cluster from the male surgery wards at Hua Hin Hospital has a cumulative total of 23 cases.

https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-news/jan-8-prachuap-reports-75-new-covid-19-cases-43-cases-in-hua-hin/

Edited by worrab
correct copy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yesterday the Chonburi new case numbers was 1,342. Today they really expect us to believe it has gone down to 847.

I stopped believing the numbers months ago when the testing was reduced. I know anyone with any intellect just sees these numbers as 'pie in the sky'.

When you have the Muppets running the show with Kermit and Mr Piggy. What do you expect!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The confusion is very evident.  Elsewhere in the world these numbers would be close to 2x's what it was 2 days ago, and so on. Today we should be seeing almost 12k cases if we extrapolate from 2 days ago.  Someone is either confused as to where to gather the numbers from as we can see by both the above sets of numbers, and then the possibility of a lack of testing this entire week. 

Maybe people have tested positive on the ATK tests and instead of retesting with a PCR test they have gone into self isolation or better yet since they are asymptomatic they do not give a flying f and need to continue to work as there is no life line for them as there is in the western countries.

yes, the numbers are all just part of the grand social engineering scheme. there's no proper testing nor modeling done in thailand. they should be doing mass testing of various areas, then sequencing (to learn more about how it is spread, and which variant subset, etc). they aren't and won't and so it's a guessing game on the part of all of us.

14 hours ago, Trip Hop said:

I saw pics posted elsewhere showing some open, well lit up bars..... didn't seem to be a lot of customers though.