Covid testing costs for travel are exorbitant!

webfact

15 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

It would mean plane tickets are too cheap. Bring back full IATA rates for flights. There, PCR tests could even be included for free, wouldn't make a dent.

I'd prefer that. Not keen to pay a lot when travelling to a few countries, having to pay for 1-2 tests every time... Better add it to the ticket price, just like the other extra fees.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

11 minutes ago, captpkapoor said:

My return flight is for the 1st of Feb evening; destination country requires Covid test 72 hours before departure. So I really should get tested by 30th Jan Sunday - any pointers where, please? I live in Bangkok right on the river.

What kind of test?

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Not all countries  require  PCR tests such as the UK.

PCR tests are prone to generate  false positive by detecting old dead covid  material  from recovered covid patients.

With the advent of Omicron this phenomenon will increase

This is THE REAL PCR test story.

NB

UK only requires 

locator form 

lateral flow on arrival whatever that  is now

• Like 2

Concideration is being give to RAT tests prior to travel. Eventually these RAT test will become the standard. As Omicron takes hold and numbers balloon the labs will not be able to  cope and will be under so much pressure there are bound to be stuff ups caused by human error.

Already there has been close to 2,000 lab results that were wrong in one state of Australia. Resulting in a class action aginst the Labs.

Rat test are 95 - 90% accurate and inexspensive.

5 minutes ago, Paul Henry said:

Concideration is being give to RAT tests prior to travel. Eventually these RAT test will become the standard. As Omicron takes hold and numbers balloon the labs will not be able to  cope and will be under so much pressure there are bound to be stuff ups caused by human error.

Already there has been close to 2,000 lab results that were wrong in one state of Australia. Resulting in a class action aginst the Labs.

Rat test are 95 - 90% accurate and inexspensive.

Depends on the manufacturer but there are some good ones out there? There’s also a lot of bad ones too!

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

PCR tests are prone to generate  false positive by detecting old dead covid  material  from recovered covid patients.

I used medconcult in BKK..adress..sukumvit 49/9..Cheap and fast..www.medconcultbangkok.com

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Thailand will never reach tourism targets with pcr tests before flight, after flight and another one later in sanbox.

Drop all the pcrs, change to just laterals (with pcr on testing positive)  and the tourists will probably come.

And do something with the forced hospital isolation if found positive?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, captpkapoor said:

My return flight is for the 1st of Feb evening; destination country requires Covid test 72 hours before departure. So I really should get tested by 30th Jan Sunday - any pointers where, please? I live in Bangkok right on the river.

medconcult ..sukumvit 49/9..fast and cheap.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

resulting in the less wealthy forced to forgo vacations abroad as travel seems to become something only the rich can afford.

Just what TAT are looking for... weed-out the cheap Charlies and only filter in the rich.

To get on my United carrier coming to BKK from SFO I needed a PCR test. A 24 hour turn around was $100, 12 hour turn around at the highest rated outfit was $200 in Oakland. I took the expensive one because there was a lot at stake, and I would have time for another test if it went wrong. It was a drive through, and I drove by a couple of times before and could see the line of cars was never ending all day long. What a business!

5 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Do you have any source to back that claim? RNA is very unstable and rapidly degraded (unlike DNA), so I highly doubt your statement in the case of RT-PCR tests for Covid-19.

Edited by whatsupdoc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, poohy said:

NB

UK only requires 

locator form 

lateral flow on arrival whatever that  is now

That is a very recent development. I travelled to the U.K. late December and required a test both before travelling and within 48 hours of arriving. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

resulting in the less wealthy forced to forgo vacations abroad as travel seems to become something only the rich can afford.

This is good news for Thailand as they don’t want us paupers visiting anyway! ????

Expect further test price hikes!

Edited by daveAustin

1 hour ago, whatsupdoc said:

Do you have any source to back that claim? RNA is very unstable and rapidly degraded (unlike DNA), so I highly doubt your statement in the case of RT-PCR tests for Covid-19.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(20)30172-5/fulltext

It's old news so no idea why the other poster implies there is a hidden story somewhere.

Authorities are aware that PCR tests can test positive after infection.

Which is why some countries don't demand a negative test before you can go back to work after infection,

since it would take quite a while for some people to test negative.

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Just what TAT are looking for... weed-out the cheap Charlies and only filter in the rich.

It's their country; they can pick and choose. But like this, don't expect to break the 2019 arrivals record any time soon. And better not expect as many tourism-related jobs as back then either.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

1 hour ago, Virt said:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(20)30172-5/fulltext

It's old news so no idea why the other poster implies there is a hidden story somewhere.

Authorities are aware that PCR tests can test positive after infection.

Which is why some countries don't demand a negative test before you can go back to work after infection,

since it would take quite a while for some people to test negative.

Thank you for the article. It does not however tell that PCR test are prone to false positives due to "dead" virus material as claimed by the other poster.

It does say that the virus genetic material can still be found for quite a while after infection. Whether or not these virus particles are infectious is difficult to tell, maybe the laboratory test for that is not accurate enough (it might not detect below a certain threshold of virus particles, unlike the PCR test).

51 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Thank you for the article. It does not however tell that PCR test are prone to false positives due to "dead" virus material as claimed by the other poster.

It does say that the virus genetic material can still be found for quite a while after infection. Whether or not these virus particles are infectious is difficult to tell, maybe the laboratory test for that is not accurate enough (it might not detect below a certain threshold of virus particles, unlike the PCR test).

It says this in the article.

It's that not the same as saying a positive pcr test after day nice are false positive, since there are no live virus left or am I mixing up things?

No study detected live virus beyond day 9 of illness, despite persistently high viral loads, which were inferred from cycle threshold values.

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

That is a very recent development. I travelled to the U.K. late December and required a test both before travelling and within 48 hours of arriving. 

After you arrive in England you must take a COVID-19 test. This is the test that you booked before travel.

This must be a PCR test if you arrive in England before 4am Sunday 9 January. If you arrive after 4am, 9 January you can use a lateral flow test. You will be able to book lateral flow tests from 7 January.

You can take the test any time after you arrive and before the end of day 2 at the latest. The day you arrive is day 0.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, poohy said:

After you arrive in England you must take a COVID-19 test. This is the test that you booked before travel.

This must be a PCR test if you arrive in England before 4am Sunday 9 January. If you arrive after 4am, 9 January you can use a lateral flow test. You will be able to book lateral flow tests from 7 January.

You can take the test any time after you arrive and before the end of day 2 at the latest. The day you arrive is day 0.

So as I said, a recent development. 

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Thailand will never reach tourism targets with pcr tests before flight, after flight and another one later in sanbox.

Drop all the pcrs, change to just laterals (with pcr on testing positive)  and the tourists will probably come.

The government has an iron bowl so whether or not tourism improves, they are not affected. 

It's the common people who are suffering from loss of jobs and not the government officials.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Virt said:

It says this in the article.

It's that not the same as saying a positive pcr test after day nice are false positive, since there are no live virus left or am I mixing up things?

No study detected live virus beyond day 9 of illness, despite persistently high viral loads, which were inferred from cycle threshold values.

Right. It does make me wonder though why the virus particles seem no longer infectious. Like I said, RNA is very rapidly degraded unless protected by the virus envelope or some protein. Maybe some kind of blocking of the spike protein does the trick.