Gallstones surgery

fridog

HI,

I am in early 50s and I was diagnosed with a few gallstones, one about 2.6 cm, a few others smaller. No gallbladder wall thickening or signs of inflammation. They seem to be asymptomatic, as I don't have any particular issue and discovered them during a routine US check. The GI suggested surgery but I'm not particularly fond of surgeries for a series of reasons which would be long to explain here.

Instead, I repeated the US after 1 year (a couple of months ago) and apparently the big stone increased to 2.8 cm, which led the GI to insist again on the surgery. I know it's a relatively low-invasive procedure (laparoscopy) but another doctor (not GI though) told me gallstones don't usually need to be treated unless they cause symptoms.

On the other hand, I have read that these situations can suddenly evolve into acute inflammation with a lot of pain and requiring emergency surgery.

So, now I am wondering what to do. Anyone with related experiences or stories to share?

Thinking about having mine removed as well. Stones were initially diagnosed and seen several years ago in Singapore (2013 i think). Was asymptomatic since then but lately had bouts of unbearable pain in lower right rib area and I already suspect the stones as cause of it. I'm in my early 40s and also not fond of surgery (Spondylodesis in Heidelberg Germany in 2002 with subsequent 8 weeks of "Kur" rehab still etched in my brain). 

Will one day need to have laparoscopic cholecystectomy done of course. Was quoted 300k+ THB by a leading hospital in BKK. 

• Like 1

Don’t you feel any discomfort?  indigestion, pressure in the side?  I had the same diagnosis at 55 years old (now 62) The doctor advised me to eliminate them and I ignored him.  I opted for Chinese medicine and have been taking herbs prescribed by a renowned Chinese Doctor in Chiang Mai to dissolve the stones. 1 year later I entered Bangkok Hospital urgently with the worst pain I have ever had in my life.  3 days later I returned home without a gallbladder but happy to feel like a boy.

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, mvdf said:

Will one day need to have laparoscopic cholecystectomy done of course. Was quoted 300k+ THB by a leading hospital in BKK. 

A friend of mine had his removed by laparoscopy at Samitivej for about the same price you're mentioning. He had health insurance, though.

Just now, fridog said:

A friend of mine had his removed by laparoscopy at Samitivej for about the same price you're mentioning. He had health insurance, though.

I also have health insurance but i doubt they will cover costs as i have had the stones for probably a decade (i think they can tell by the size lol).

• Like 1

Decrease fat intake in diet, increase grapefruit juice/apple juice intake to 2 glasses daily at least. 

Tablepoon of olive oil daily, for a few months.

Reduction of fat in diet is essential

How is your cholestrerol?

3 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

Don’t you feel any discomfort?  indigestion, pressure in the side?  I had the same diagnosis at 55 years old (now 62) The doctor advised me to eliminate them and I ignored him.  1 year later I entered Bangkok Hospital urgently with the worst pain I have ever had in my life.  3 days later I returned home without a gallbladder but happy to feel like a boy.

Sometimes a vague feeling of pressure to my right-low abdomen but now I'm not sure anymore if that's suggestion or a real thing. In any case, is very mild and occasional.

Just now, RJRS1301 said:

Decrease fat intake in diet, increase grapefruit juice/apple juice intake to 2 glasses daily at least. 

Didn’t worked for me. ????

Just now, RJRS1301 said:

Decrease fat intake in diet

Very very hard to do when the in-laws cook. Not easy to explain "stones" and why her excellent cooking is incompatible with them. 

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

increase grapefruit juice/apple juice intake to 2 glasses daily at least. 

Can do. Thanks for the tip.

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Reduction of fat in diet is essential

How is your cholestrerol?

Goo luck with that! Lol

I'm taking statins for my cholesterol since 2017. Before it was extremely high, now at the upper level of the so called normal range

Edited by fridog

2 minutes ago, fridog said:

Sometimes a vague feeling of pressure to my right-low abdomen but now I'm not sure anymore if that's suggestion or a real thing. In any case, is very mild and occasional.

That’s not suggestion, mate. Remove it. Soon or late will do the face.

• Like 1

"I am in early 50s and I was diagnosed with a few gallstones, one about 2.6 cm, a few others smaller. "

2.6 cm is massive!! That is more than an inch! I think you mean 2.6 mm??

6 inch ruler. - csp1446320

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, fridog said:

Goo luck with that! Lol

I'm taking statins for my cholesterol since 2017. Before it was extremely high, now at the upper level of the so called normal range

Worked for mine, have to be consistent with it, diet change is essential.

• Like 1

I had some occasional pains in my lower side/abdomen for a few years. The NHS in the UK could't find the cause. ☹️ 

Afterwards, I moved to Thailand and a couple of years ago had a bad attack. The wife and family forced me to go to hospital which was a private hospital upcountry. It was discovered I had stones in my gall bladder using Ultrasound. I was advised these could cause septic shock which could be fatal. I had the gall bladder removed by laproscopy at a final cost of 170K baht. No more attacks. ????

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

"I am in early 50s and I was diagnosed with a few gallstones, one about 2.6 cm, a few others smaller. "

2.6 cm is massive!! That is more than an inch! I think you mean 2.6 mm??

2.6 cm or 26 mm

I was quoted  a price around B120,000 for gall bladder removal surgery here in Korat.  A friend insisted he accompany me to another hospital which is part of a university here.  The Doctor spoke perfect English,  was entirely professional in every way,  and I was utterly convinced he was the person I was going to use.   I then learned the price was just a little above 50% of the first quote.   (Both quotes were for a private room).   As it turns out,  the next time I had an attack was 10 months later,  while I was in Scotland,  and I had the procedure done there.   If anyone is interested,  and feels the journey to Korat is worthwhile,  let me know and I'll provide more details.  

1 minute ago, IGCKorat said:

I was quoted  a price around B120,000 for gall bladder removal surgery here in Korat.  A friend insisted he accompany me to another hospital which is part of a university here.  The Doctor spoke perfect English,  was entirely professional in every way,  and I was utterly convinced he was the person I was going to use.   I then learned the price was just a little above 50% of the first quote.   (Both quotes were for a private room).   As it turns out,  the next time I had an attack was 10 months later,  while I was in Scotland,  and I had the procedure done there.   If anyone is interested,  and feels the journey to Korat is worthwhile,  let me know and I'll provide more details.  

I understand there are two methods of removal. One being through a surgical cut and the other being Laproscopy. What was you quoted for and was it a State hospital or private?

Expect it is the size of stone prompting recommendation to operate as normally not needed unless you have symptoms that make you want (from my reading) but of that size it seems they can also become a cancer issue so probably best to have operation.  You do not want cancer if you can avoid (been there skin, bladder and liver)  I have several of .4 to .7cm gallstones but nothing like the over inch size you report.

Wife had operation 2 years ago - in her case had symptoms and 79 so doctors recommended doing then as after age 80 they did not routinely perform.  Cost was 215,000 in a well rated private Bangkok hospital.  Quick recovery from a very simple operation with nothing more than minor laparoscopy cuts.

• Like 1

The procedure was laprasotic,  and the hospital is privately owned by the university.  It is a teaching hospital,  which may keep costs lower.  I must stress if I was in one of the international private hospitals in Bangkok,  I could not have hoped to encounter a more professional and reassuring Doctor.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fridog said:

So, now I am wondering what to do. Anyone with related experiences or stories to share?

I was full of them 8 years back, told I would die without surgery.

Lots of pain from an infection, hospital, intravenous antibiotics.

Didn't fancy having my gall bladder taken out.

Learned what the rising pain was like before hospital.

Kept antibiotics ready for when the initial pain warned me.

Had two minor attacks shortly after, nothing for the past 7 years.

Lost some weight (around 25Kg), exercised more.

Gallstones are made of cholesterol, if you reduce your cholesterol the gallstones will disappear.

But if you don't have the will power ...............

PS.

The big ones don't harm you.

It's the little ones that work their way into the bile duct that cause the problems.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

In that case, I understand it is classified as 'big'. You should arrange treatment without delay.

Absolutely.

A stone that size can easily block the common bile duct leading to pancreatitis, sepsis and possibly even death. This happened to my father-- he survived but barely and after a harrowing stay in ICU.

Gallbladder removal is a very simple and very common procedure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Absolutely.

A stone that size can easily block the common bile duct leading to pancreatitis, sepsis and possibly even death. This happened to my father-- he survived but barely and after a harrowing stay in ICU.

Gallbladder removal is a very simple and very common procedure. 

Thanks for the advice,  I will consider this seriously