ICE vs EV, the debate thread

KhunLA

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

And every ICEV that I owned in TH, recommended 10k kms for oil change.  Maintenance aside (we know which cost more), I stuck with only electric & petrol.

You can distract all you want.  As everything else, is in ADDITION to just the fuel.  Kind of supports my side of the discussion.  Feel free to subtract 10-20-30% of maintenance cost ot any number, it's still adds to the 300k.

Nobody know what EVs or ICEVs are going to be worth in 8 yrs.  And with a 300k head start, don't think the BEV owner is going to be disappointed.   Gets to drive a better performing vehicle in those 8 yrs.

In 8 yrs, nobody may even want ICEVs, except collectors ... :coffee1:

How many countries plan on stopping or restricting the sale of ICEVs in 2030/2035 ?

Many different types of Oil used nowdays

1. Mineral Grade

Mineral grade oil has a relatively short service life and cannot resist high temperatures well. The mineral base oil is obtained from the crude oil refining process by using the part at the bottom of the distillation tower to be purified through a few steps. Therefore, there are still some contaminants left and some properties are still no at their best, resulting in quick deterioration of the oil. The drain interval for cars is 5,000-7,000 kilometers or 4-6 months, whichever comes first, and 1,000-2,000 kilometers for motorcycles.

2. Synthetic Technology Grade

Semi-synthetic or synthetic technology grade engine oil has a longer service life than that of mineral grade. It contains two types of base oils which are synthetic and mineral base oil (the proportions of those vary from brand to brand). The properties of semi-synthetic oil are between synthetic and mineral oil. The drain interval is at 7,000 - 10,000 kilometers or 6-9 months, whichever comes first for cars and 3,000 kilometers for motorcycles.

3. Fully Synthetic Grade

This type of engine oil has the longest service life. It is produced from synthetic base oils that have undergone a number of refining and improvement processes to obtain the highest purity oil, or is an oil synthesized from a chemical process to achieve high lubricating and heat resistant power.

It has low friction and evaporation rate, and can resist deterioration well. These qualities will help prevent wear with strong oil film while also improving engine performance. This grade of an engine oil has longer service life with a drain interval of approximately 15,000 kilometers or 9-12 months, whichever comes first for cars, and about 5,000 kilometers for motorcycles.

https://pttlubricants.pttor.com/en/knowledge_bit_detail/3/64

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Apples and oranges indeed. It's always cheaper to drive a sh*t-box. 

I think you can get a four-door diesel pickup for 700K 

2.8L, not so sure about that.   I'm very sure about I would never want one.  Something I would never own, a diesel.  Way before BEVs.  That's just one disgusting & harmful fuel.   Yet to be in any diesel vehicle that I thought wasn't a POS, noisy, vibrates, and smells if nearby when running.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

2.8L, not so sure about that.   I'm very sure about I would never want one.  Something I would never own, a diesel.  Way before BEVs.  That's just one disgusting & harmful fuel.   Yet to be in any diesel vehicle that I thought wasn't a POS, noisy, vibrates, and smells if nearby when running.

I said diesel, not 2.8l, try to follow along. 

12 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I said I think you can get a four-door diesel pickup for 700K. 

Not everyone wants or needs a pick up, especially an inexpensive one.

Apples & oranges again ... distraction.

Pretty sure the petrol savings will be in the same ballpark +/- 10 or 20%,  250k vs 300k

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Of course you can. He's clueless. Here's a superb specimen of a Diesel pick up, four doors and from 2021. The wonderful Isuzu.

https://www.one2car.com/en/for-sale/isuzu-d-max-s-bangkok-metropolitan-kanchanaphisek/14865352?auc=true

Seriously, a 3 yr old pick up.  Why not show listing for a plane or a boat ?

Why do you bother embarrassing yourself.  This is how my post count is so high, as someone pointed out the other day.  Most like the last 10 ish, wasted on BS replies to silliness.

EDIT:  check that, 12 added posts on this thread since the so easy to understand original one was posted.  Mind boggling silliness, some extreme.

No matter what y'all pick in the 700k range, the BEV will save you 250-300k over 8 years.   If not much more, depending on the price or petrol.

Why I don't even bother with these threads any more.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Seriously, a 3 yr old pick up.  Why not show listing for a plane or a boat ?

Why do you bother embarrassing yourself.

No matter what y'all pick in the 700k range, the BEV will save you 250-300k over 8 years.   If not much more, depending on the price or petrol.

Why I don't even bother with these threads any more.

3 years old, yes from 2021, nothing wrong with that. A plane or boat, lol, I love this guy...

Of course a BEV will be cheaper, but for 489,000 Baht you get a REAL car from Isuzu, you know, one which you can actually drive around Thailand without paranoically checking the battery level , lest you be stranded at a petrol station without an electric charger...

Plus, you won't feel like you're driving a dead remote.

Edited by Cameroni
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You can get a new Isuzu 4-door diesel for ~750K

Dontbother.jpg.fdd9b18ab0b5cac386eebb47fb628958.jpg

Well, I did start the thread.  And you're not far behind :coffee1:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, atpeace said:

On a less serious note -  anybody enjoy camping?  I just realized with an EV I could do it with AC.  Setup a canopy outside the car, and sleep on an air mattress in the car at night in bliss. If I had the MG my bro in-law has with the huge sunroof to star gaze...  lots of sweaty nights camping in Thailand but not with an EV.   

This thread is a good read but I think we all know who will be proven correct a few years from now. I'm just waiting to sell the ICE truck and make the switch.  Have excess solar so 95% of my driving will be free!

The best car for camping is of course the VW Camper Van California.

https://www.sanook.com/auto/71649/

Avaliable in Diesel, Petrol and soon Hybrid. No Electric version, alas.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

The best car for camping is of course the VW Camper Van California.

https://www.sanook.com/auto/71649/

Avaliable in Diesel, Petrol and soon Hybrid. No Electric version, alas.

Spent a year travelling N America in a VW camper.  Perfect for that situation but for weekend trips in hot Thailand I would go the EV route.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, atpeace said:

Spent a year travelling N America in a VW camper.  Perfect for that situation but for weekend trips in hot Thailand I would go the EV route.

Nice, but why? The VW Camper has aircon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

No, you'll feel like you're driving a noisy, smelly, nasty farm vehicle.

I've driven a VW Touareg Diesel. It's got about as much in common with a farm vehicle as a 50 year old woman with virginity.

A very refined and powerful SUV.

31 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

I've driven a VW Touareg Diesel. It's got about as much in common with a farm vehicle as a 50 year old woman with virginity.

A very refined and powerful SUV.

Sorry weren't we discussing 700k THB three year old diesel trucks? Yet you have now brought in a $90-125k "luxury" SUV. Shifting the goalposts much?

Honestly, what has the Touareg got to do with what we were talking about? Absolutely nothing. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fruit Trader said:

I guess you have achieved ROI on your solar system.

Reading comprehension, or are you simply ignoring the obvious he already stated ?

2 hours ago, atpeace said:

Have excess solar so 95% of my driving will be free!

Like myself and many others that have solar.   The system is enough, hopefully for the house.  Mine is barely enough, and only because we are conservative with electric use after sunset.  Actually could use another 5kWh inverter and 10 more kWh of ESS, to really be enough.

But during the day, more than enough excess to keep the EVs charged up.  Which makes ROI even faster.   Not that ROI is important to myself, I just prefer the independence, and the saving is just a really nice plus.

Our solar system would cost exactly the same, whether having EVs or not.  Something that goes way over the anti EV/CH/Solar folks.   Spew the same old false narrative.   Tiring actually.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, atpeace said:

@ 2:30 of the vid

24 hour camping  ... 

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 2