ICE vs EV, the debate thread

KhunLA

34 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Our 2 MG EV's are the first new cars I have ever had not needing warranty work (yet).

My MG EV is four years old. The only warranty work: The small battery went flat about a week after I took delivery. They came to the house and swopped it for a new one.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The challenge for EU is not so much all the new name Chinese brands arriving in Europe, the real danger is if European manufacturers start producing EVs for the Europen market in China ????????.  Then it is game over for the Europen car industry and million of jobs are lost 

It's hard to argue with Economics, and also Legislation...

Edited by JBChiangRai
Spellong

3 minutes ago, macahoom said:

My MG EV is four years old. The only warranty work: The small battery went flat about a week after I took delivery. They came to the house and swopped it for a new one.

I had a huge problem with a Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2, it destroyed batteries every 12 months.  On test at the dealership it wasn't charging the battery properly.  They sent up an expert from Ford in Bangkok who said it was a "feature", they tried to keep the battery 70% charged only because of heat in Thailand.

I am in favour of planned replacement of 12v batteries every 2-3 years.  I changed the battery on my youngest daughter's Suzuki Ciaz at 3 years old just before she left for 1st year University.

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

You seem to indicate that (lack of) charging stations is one of the main reasons you are not interested in getting an EV at the moment. Tell us, honestly, why sort of mileage do you incur annually and some approximation of the breakdown. Is it 90:10 long journeys vs short journeys? Or 50:50? Or 20:80? I average 500 km per week. Even if there is a CS next door to me, I won’t need to charge there as I can just plug in at the comfort of my own home.

Even the UK you say. Is it fair to compare the charging network in Thailand to that of a third world country? Bear in mind also the different (not sure if this is the right word to use) demographics of vehicle owners between the 2 countries. In the UK, a lot of vehicle owners don’t have dedicated off street parking. In Thailand, I would wager that the majority of vehicle owners live in landed properties with a driveway or porch. Less need for public CS.

I am not interested in getting a new car any time soon..............????

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

SeñorLA's MG is displaying the wrong unit for milage.

I don't understand what you mean. The only distance unit I can see is kms.

Sorry, I deleted my calculation as I need to check it. I may have made a mistake.

Edited by macahoom

8 minutes ago, macahoom said:

I don't understand what you mean. The only distance unit I can see is kms.

That said, there does seem to be something a bit crazy about Khun LA's calculation:

The screenshot of his dash display shows 12.3km/kWh which, by the way, seems to be an unbelievably low figure.

And in his calculation he uses the 12.3 figure for kWh/100kms - (12.3kWh/100kms).

Doesn't make sense. Or maybe I'm missing something.

12.3 kWh/100 km is the correct value, it is just displayed in the wrong unit (km/kWh).

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What type of battery does your MG have?

I have no idea.

And I've just realised it's lasted 4 years, which is longer than any battery I've ever had over the past 18 years in Thailand. 

I've just had a look at my MG app and the voltage of the battery is 13.0V. That's pretty healthy, I think.

Edited by macahoom
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The challenge for EU is not so much all the new name Chinese brands arriving in Europe, the real danger is if European manufacturers start producing EVs for the Europen market in China ????????.  Then it is game over for the Europen car industry and million of jobs are lost 

It’s called Globalisation, great for some, not so much for others

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Jack Cook said:

Cars are made to drink gas. I just simply wouldn’t even get in a so called EV let alone buy one. I’d like to know what would happen if every car in just Bangkok, let alone Thailand had to plug in. There is no good or rational answer to that question ????????????????

Do you mean every car plugging in? or every EV plugging in?

The former is impossible, the latter is probably but eminently possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

As you’ve never been in an EV, you obviously won’t know anything about the ride and performance of an EV. You obviously won’t know that plugging it in at home every evening for a few hours is as easy as taking your shoes off. You also won’t know that if you have solar power, it costs almost nothing to charge the car.

Seems like there’s a lot about EVs that you don’t know.

Wow, what kind of shoes do you wear?

• Haha 1

As if fossil fuel conglomerates didn't have windfall profits of late.  They get huge subsidies:

"Globally, fossil fuel subsidies were $7 trillion in 2022 or 7.1 percent of GDP'

Source:  IMF Fossil Fuel Subsidies Data: 2023 Update

And they'll (corrupt govts) will tell you your tax $$$ are going toward slowing or solving MMCC/GW ... ????

Reads more like they are perpetuating it.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, KhunLA said:

As if fossil fuel conglomerates didn't have windfall profits of late.  They get huge subsidies:

"Globally, fossil fuel subsidies were $7 trillion in 2022 or 7.1 percent of GDP'

And they'll (corrupt govts) will tell you your tax $$$ are going toward slowing or solving MMCC/GW ... ????

"Globally, fossil fuel subsidies were $7 trillion in 2022 or 7.1 percent of GDP..."

The way the left comes up with the $7 trillion number is hilarious. That people like you (apparently) believe it is even funnier. 

• Sad 1

On 9/29/2023 at 5:37 PM, KhunLA said:

What is the subsidies on your EV?