ICE vs EV, the debate thread

KhunLA

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You can bet your left nut marine insurance companies are watching mixed EV/ICE shipments very closely. As Ian Fleming wrote, once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, the third time it is enemy action.

Packing a mix of said vehicles like sardines is looking more and more risky, in the light of videos showing EV fires. It would not surprise me if insurers either hiked their premiums, or refused insurance unless suitable isolation of EV's is adopted.

Either way, that cost gets passed on to the car buyer.

Would it surprise you to know that I agree with you?

But I suspect what we have is a short term problem because future battery technology probably won’t be so disastrous when that highly unlikely event occurs ie it catches fire.

So now the argument is, don't buy an EV, since you can't charge at home with solar, because the solar panels will catch fire.

I await someone to post you can't park EVs in the sun, as they'll catch fire.

What silliness next ?

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I await someone to post you can't park EVs in the sun, as they'll catch fire.

What silliness next ?

I parked my EV in the sun whilst I charged it from my solar power, and when I returned to it it, it had turned into a giant, fluffy marshmallow, covered in chocolate and sprinkles.

The moral of this is only buy an EV and solar power, if you like marshmallows

Edited by JBChiangRai
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I parked my EV in the sun whilst I charged it from my solar power, and when I returned to it it, it had turned into a giant, fluffy marshmallow, covered in chocolate and sprinkles.

I park my EV in the blast proof bunker 500 metres from the house.

A seismic detector lets me know if there is a problem with charging.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Would it surprise you to know that I agree with you?

But I suspect what we have is a short term problem because future battery technology probably won’t be so disastrous when that highly unlikely event occurs ie it catches fire.

Not at all, you can be rational on the odd occasion.

There are always improvements to be had in any technology. One I like is a gold-based battery for mobile phones which can handle recharge cycles 100 - 1000 times the recharge capacity of current lithium-based batteries.

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

The moral of this is only by an EV and solar power, if you like marshmallows

I use Banana Boat sunscreen 50+, over the entire car, 30 mins before sun exposure of course.  One must read the instructions.  Reapply after it gets wet of course.  

I'm stocked up with a few 1000 tubes, though I did have to refinance the house to buy.  But as a prepper, you can never be too careful.  Who needs milk when you have an EV.  Priorities ????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Not at all, you can be rational on the odd occasion.

There are always improvements to be had in any technology. One I like is a gold-based battery for mobile phones which can handle recharge cycles 100 - 1000 times the recharge capacity of current lithium-based batteries.

I can see a big problem with that, the batteries are going to get stolen

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I did not know the Ford Taurus was available in EV. That car always looked as if it had melted in the sun.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I did not know the Ford Taurus was available in EV. That car always looked as if it had melted in the sun.

The Walkie-Talkie building in London has one side of glass that is concave, and it was focusing the sun’s rays onto cars parked on the street below and melting them.

8 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Not for the batteries anyway, though I need another new battery in mine, only lasted 12 months, official apple battery too.

Should last longer than that. My OPPO A37 battery is still working after about 6 years.

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

IPhone 11, max capacity down to 77%

Fortunately, EV batteries retain their capacity much better.

Not on the Nissan Leaf, they don't. That's another Cadogan rant.

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Not on the Nissan Leaf, they don't. That's another Cadogan rant.

The Nissan leaf had a big problem, it’s batteries are air cooled, not liquid cooled, and in my humble opinion on suitable for hot climates. Maybe they have addressed that, and now they’re liquid cooled, I don’t know.

22 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

If I may ....

However, I'm not sure why you say "it is almost certain both fires were started by EVs"? If you said "it is almost certain that, once the fire started, regardless of cause, if EVs then combusted, the ensuing blaze would have been intense".

LFP batteries use lithium iron phosphate as the cathode material - again my understanding 

is that the oxygen component is too tightly bound for combustion even in thermal run-away

Cause of both fires ... unknown, but had o EVs ????

LFP ... still await the first real news of 1 fire ????

Agree, the facts just don't seem to matter to the anti EV'ers.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Oh course his phone will state full charge at 100%, if that's what he's reading instead of capacity.

But how long does it last vs when new ?

Edited by KhunLA

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Cause of both fires ... unknown, but had o EVs ????

LFP ... still await the first real news of 1 fire ????

Agree, the facts just don't seem to matter to the anti EV'ers.

Blinded by your purchase...????

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Oh course his phone will state full charge at 100%, if that's what he's reading instead of capacity.

But how long does it last vs when new ?

Apple iPhones have the ability to tell you the maximum capacity of the battery, it starts out at 100% but a year later mine is down to 77%. It still charges up to indicated 100%, but it’s 100% of 77%, I trust that is as clear as mud? 

• Thanks 1