Finance Ministry Considering EV Import Duty Rates Revision

snoop1130

On 1/12/2022 at 9:48 AM, Bandersnatch said:

You don't know anything about EVs or Solar  - everything you have said so far has proved you don't know what you are talking about. 

You don't have an EV or Solar yet you think you are an expert! All you are doing is humiliating yourself with your ignorance.

Piece of advice  - when in a hole stop digging 

Where are the links that prove you are right and he is wrong?

On 1/12/2022 at 10:55 AM, tingtong said:

Just plugging in for overnight to his own wall socket is still a long way from reality to a tenant on the 16th floor of a Bangkok condo...

And that is also a long way from people living in rural Thailand who have limited electricity at their homes, a limited income and no solar power or the money to set one up.

It amazes e that so many farangs that post here just think of themselves and don't consider any other people.

Over 70% of the Thai people live outside of the cities and rely on ICE powered vehicles to get around.

Would I buy an EV? Not until they have a range of some 600km and can be fully charged in 30 minutes.

IIRC the battery pack cost about 50% of the vehicle price and a maximum life of about 10 years.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pabs said:

...To fully charge an EV it will take 10 plus days...

The time to charge an EV battery from 0% to 100%, which nobody ever does, depends of course on the battery size and the available power supply. On the basis of what vehicle with what battery size and what power supply did you arrive at "10 plus days"?

Out of curiosity, I went to my garage just now, unplugged the car from the CEE socket and plugged it into the regular 240 socket. If I read the screenshot below correctly, the battery was being charged at the rate of 2 kW per hour.

Screenshot_20220116-195312.thumb.png.f50dc27b2ead83ed5c14003df48238a3.png

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pabs said:

Nice graph but it dont back up your argument. To fully charge an EV it will take 10 plus days and thats on the charge every day without driving it. And you wont have enough power left for the rest of your house. So you will be living in the dark at night. Charging an EV for a couple of hours wont get you far, ok for a quick trip to the Kwik e mart and thats about it. .  EV's are unsustainable and not realistic so tax away tax tax tax.....   https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=104605515456506&id=100077211727232&__tn__=KH-R

You really are an idiot! You can't even read a graph - did you you finish elementary school ????  You are still claiming it takes 10 days to charge an EV.

My house is off-grid and my EV is charged everyday from my solar - I have shown you the evidence and you are still talking rubbish.

You claim you have solar but clearly know nothing about it  - you are a joke   ????

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

Where are the links that prove you are right and he is wrong?

Did read the whole topic? I don't think so.

He said: 

"EV's are the most unsustainable and unrealistic approach to transport" - see pic of my EV being charged from home solar - I save 5,000 Baht/Month on gasohol

"EV need fossil fuel to charge"  - He didn't see the solar panels in the picture of my house!

"Using a domestic rooftop solar system, it will take about 2 weeks to make one full charge"  - see my graph of my solar production. An 11kWh 3 phase wall charger can charge a 60kWh battery in 5 hours not 2 weeks

"solar panels have a  life span of 10 years"  - https://www.cnet.com/home/energy-and-utilities/how-long-do-solar-panels-last/  - 30 Years

He claims he has a solar system  - I have asked to see his a pic of his 6kW inverter  - nothing

He talks about 250watt panels which haven't been on sale in Thailand for over 10 years 

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

And that is also a long way from people living in rural Thailand who have limited electricity at their homes, a limited income and no solar power or the money to set one up.

It amazes e that so many farangs that post here just think of themselves and don't consider any other people.

I built my house in Rural Thailand a few years ago and installed a solar well pump on the first day of the build - nobody locally had seen one before and many people came to the house to ask about it, the cost and where to buy - they are now everywhere here.

On visit to my local Primary school, I noticed the students watering a dry patch of dirt. I was told that they were trying to grow some vegetables. I saw that there was a pond nearby, so asked why they didn’t pump the water onto the land. (stupid question) – no money for pump and no money for electricity even if they had a pump. So I set about a little project that would help the school and hopefully be educational.  I purchased a 320 watt solar panel; Pump; DC motor and control box.

2.jpg

2a.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I save 5,000 Baht/Month on gasohol

You must drive a lot (5000bht = 1600Km in a car or 6,000km on a scooter).

Did you include the write off for the car battery (over 10 years) in your savings?

Doubt I spend 200bht/month on petrol/diesel.

What was the cost of your total solar install?

One thing I do notice about solar 'experts'

They usually overestimate their savings and underestimate their costs.

I can't see how an EV is viable at the moment, at the end of 10 years the cost of battery replacement will probably exceed the second hand value of the vehicle.

If you buy a 1,000,000bht EV, you'd really need to write off 100,000bht every year in costs.

So that would be an extra 8,500bht/month on the costs side.

Your 5,000bht/month savings probably turns out to be an extra 3,500bht/month in expense.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You must drive a lot (5000bht = 1600Km in a car or 6,000km on a scooter).

Doubt I spend 200bht/month on petrol/diesel.

What was the cost of your total solar install?

Apparently I drive less than the average American but more that the average Brit - so does that mean I drive a lot?

About 5 years power for my house and my car would pay for my solar system  

39 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Apparently I drive less than the average American but more that the average Brit - so does that mean I drive a lot?

About 5 years power for my house and my car would pay for my solar system  

Assuming batteries last forever and nothing breaks.

A new Tesla battery costs $22,000 (700,000bht) and will need replacing every 10 years (or less).

I've seen a Tesla car battery that only lasted 8 years.

And a Tesla powerwall completely dead in under 10 years.

@Crossy has had at least 2 GTI failures in less than a year.

Edited by BritManToo

4 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

You really are an idiot! You can't even read a graph - did you you finish elementary school ????  You are still claiming it takes 10 days to charge an EV.

My house is off-grid and my EV is charged everyday from my solar - I have shown you the evidence and you are still talking rubbish.

You claim you have solar but clearly know nothing about it  - you are a joke   ????

Can you please stop insulting other posters that disagree with you. It is non productive and a waste of space.