Living Next To Central World? Smart or Stupid?

Genix

My lease expires soon (Phromg Phong) and have to find a new condo. Found one next to Centralworld.

Specifically Ratchadamri Rd - 30 second walk from the shrine.

Work remotely.

I like to go out, daily food delivery/restaurants, shopping which around there is perfect..

Is it smart or stupid? My biggest worry is the traffic.

Weekends for nightlife I to go to Asok/Nana/Thonglor a lot but nighttime traffic isn't too bad.

Thanks

Edited by Genix
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How can living where you want to live, with the facilities that you need close by be stupid?

Fair question. Because Phrom Phong and many other areas are not way behind in terms of those facilities.

If traffic is extra horrible & will affect daily life & movement, accepting 8/10 facilities is better than accepting 10/10 facilities.

2 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Perfect location. Enjoyed ever moment of it for 20 years.

You will soon find your favorite coffee shops, supermarkets, restaurants and love it.

My guess, you are going to Mahadlek Luang,  so Langusuan is a new and upcoming neighborhood. 

The Glasshouse is also nice.

Welcome.

Oh now I'm excited it ???? It is my fave part of town and I lived in Chitlom a while ago (but not sukhumvit) but don't remember what traffic was like on sukhumvit - but seems you didn't mind it.

Is traffic bad day-time wise? (not rush hour)

The building is just before Mahadlek Luang - maybe can even enter through Mahadlek not sure (Magnolias)

• Like 1

It's a catch 22 type thing, the many nearby facilities that are attractive to you will be attractive to others meaning lot's of car, motorbikes and foot traffic. 

51 minutes ago, Genix said:

Fair question. Because Phrom Phong and many other areas are not way behind in terms of those facilities.

If traffic is extra horrible & will affect daily life & movement, accepting 8/10 facilities is better than accepting 10/10 facilities.

The OP works  from home so traffic  isn't an issue

2 hours ago, Genix said:

Phrom Phong has the worst traffic in the city. If traffic is a concern, it's the last place I'd pick. 

Centralworld isn't bad. You have a lot of amenities super close. I live about 25min walk from Centralworld but in the opposite direction to you

1 hour ago, Metapod said:

Phrom Phong has the worst traffic in the city. If traffic is a concern, it's the last place I'd pick. 

Centralworld isn't bad. You have a lot of amenities super close. I live about 25min walk from Centralworld but in the opposite direction to you

Yah it's horrible, first the emporium/emquartier congestion and then the crazy asok congestion.

If traffic is less worse than phrom phong than that answers the question. 

In the past I've lived in Phrom Phong (near Emporium), Asoke (opposite Terminal 21) and Chidlom - (near Central), and in general it was very good.

Traffic can be a nuisance when going to the airport, but the Expressway entrances are not too far, and there are worse traffic jam areas in Bangkok, such as Lad Prau, Srinikarin, Nothaburi and Udomsuk).

I liked being able to walk to the cinema, coffee shops and restaurants.  There's not much night life near Central World, but the BTS can take you to the main spots in just a few stops.

My only issues were at Asoke during the street occupation and at Chidlom during the Red Shirt occupation.  These areas always seem to be the protest hot spots.

What I also liked were the parks - being able to get a park in 5 minutes to walk or run is great.  Plus taxis are happy to take you to these central locations at night.  Try getting a taxi from Asoke to Nonthaburi at 2:00 am!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Perfect location. Enjoyed ever moment of it for 20 years.

You will soon find your favorite coffee shops, supermarkets, restaurants and love it.

My guess, you are going to Mahadlek Luang,  so Langusuan is a new and upcoming neighborhood. 

The Glasshouse is also nice.

Welcome.

Agree. Best area in BKK, actually walkable! We were on Mahadlekluang 2 for eight years, would also consider Magnolias right on Ratchadamri if single (a friend stays there, very nice).

Another fantastic area very nearby is Sindhorn Village off Langsuan with the new HiSo mall... Wonderful green oasis in BKK. We would probably move there if not leaving Thailand soon. 

• Like 1

Good loacation in my opinon. Not far from almost everything. My concern would be to find somewere quiet from traffic noise and not too expensive. Otherwise convenient for most that Bangkok has to offer and easy access to BTS too.

11 hours ago, Genix said:

Oh now I'm excited it ???? It is my fave part of town and I lived in Chitlom a while ago (but not sukhumvit) but don't remember what traffic was like on sukhumvit - but seems you didn't mind it.

Is traffic bad day-time wise? (not rush hour)

The building is just before Mahadlek Luang - maybe can even enter through Mahadlek not sure (Magnolias)

Traffic is no issue what so ever. I do school runs to Silom and previously Rumrudee and it was always predictable easy, especially with the reduction in traffic since Covid.

You are within 2 km of 7 Supermarkets, Villa, Foodland, 3 x Central, the Mall group and Mega Big C so soon you will find your preferred routines. 

The area is a micro cosmos in its own right so you often see the same familiar faces, say hello and sometimes make new friends.

No matter how long you stay, you will never run out of coffee shops to explore, from Vogue to Amazon. 

20211212_115804.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Genix said:

Work remotely.

I like to go out, daily food delivery/restaurants, shopping which around there is perfect..

Sounds great for a single guy.

Restaurants,clubs, transportation.

I bet theres a lot of swanky condos for excellent prices!

I would assume its a renters market.

23 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Great location. The traffic on Ratchadamri and Rama I is no worse than any other city centre area. I work at Centralworld and walk there and back from Ploenchit every day.

And your feet never have to touch actual pavement!  No dodging motorbikes, no food carts blocking the way, no people barging out of doorways into your path.   

OK, so you have to pay to pass through Chit Lom or have you found a workaround?

Edited by dddave

2 hours ago, dddave said:

And your feet never have to touch actual pavement!  No dodging motorbikes, no food carts blocking the way, no people barging out of doorways into your path.   

OK, so you have to pay to pass through Chit Lom or have you found a workaround?

Not quite possible yet, as the skywalk ends after the Central Embassy exit at Ploenchit. Then it's back down to dodgy pavements until Chitlom. After Chitlom it's a breeze all the way to Siam and MBK.

• Like 1

Been living there 13 years. Used to be very lively area (alas full of Chinese), but everything was near, and it was very convenient. However COVID decimated the whole place, and many things closed down.

And then, of course, are all the protests around that exact area. I don't know why nearly always there, but it has become nuisance enough that I've packed up and moved elsewhere when noise started under the window again a year back.

The red shirt occupation was absolutely nerve wrecking exercise. And it could happen again. Not going to see me in the middle of it ever again, though.

20 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Convenient location .  The only thing I would consider is that iits one of the areas that are popular  for mass demonstrations.  

There will be plenty of mass demonstrations to get rid of this unelected soldier posing as a PM once this pandemic is over.

23 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Not quite possible yet, as the skywalk ends after the Central Embassy exit at Ploenchit. Then it's back down to dodgy pavements until Chitlom. After Chitlom it's a breeze all the way to Siam and MBK.

Good thing you told me; I might have just ambled off the end....