Living Next To Central World? Smart or Stupid?

Genix

On 1/14/2022 at 7:03 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Langusuan is a new and upcoming neighborhood

That's funny.

When I arrived in Thailand more than 20 years ago I walked along Langusuan to find a suitable apartment. At least at that time I couldn't afford any nice apartment in that soi. ???? 

On 1/14/2022 at 5:10 PM, Genix said:

Weekends for nightlife I to go to Asok/Nana/Thonglor a lot but nighttime traffic isn't too bad.

A friend once lived near work about an hour away from Sukhumvit. Then he moved to Sukhumvit about an hour away from his work. His reasoning was this: If I live an hour away from entertainment then likely I will only seldom just go there for a beer because it is far away.

I agree with that. It's good to live near to where you want to have a beer or two - and of course no drunk driving.

And about traffic: Get a motorcycle! I ride in Sukhumvit and sometime to the Central World area or Silom etc. in the worst traffic. With a motorcycle that is just about acceptable. With a car it would be horrible to do that regularly.

BTS is obviously an option but often it is: motorcycle to BTS, going up the station, riding on the BTS, going down the station, and another motorcycle to the destination. Possible but far away from fast or convenient. 

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

What is this condo that you have found like?

Good point.

In any event the OP has already made his decision. 

Just looking for confirmation that he is doing the right thing. 

Next will be post in motor forum "should I buy a Honda" 

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Good point.

In any event the OP has already made his decision. 

Just looking for confirmation that he is doing the right thing. 

Next will be post in motor forum "should I buy a Honda" 

Ha I don't think it'll ever come to owning a car in Bangkok, Grab is cheap although there are times a car would be nice.

Motorbike sure, although probably not ... yet.

Condo is the Magnolias condo btw. Very nice, offer owner rental & residence programs.

Thanks for all the answers - much appreciated.

Yes, it seems to be a great area considering everything. Central, nice sidewalks, clean, everything is super close.

Only downside would be the protests, but it's worth the trade-off imo.

5 minutes ago, Genix said:

Condo is the Magnolias condo btw. Very nice, offer owner rental & residence programs

Everyone is different. 

Checked out the complex.

Looks very nice. I'm sure many would love it.

Just goes to show...opposite for me. Would not be a condo where I would like to live. 

Location very good but condo opposite to what I would choose.

Just goes to show ...one size does not fit all.

28 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Everyone is different. 

Checked out the complex.

Looks very nice. I'm sure many would love it.

Just goes to show...opposite for me. Would not be a condo where I would like to live. 

Location very good but condo opposite to what I would choose.

Just goes to show ...one size does not fit all.

I see why some would not like it. Can feel like a hotel, seemed quite busy etc. 

Not finalized anything still hunting near by but it's my top choice (& happy choice).

15 minutes ago, Genix said:

I see why some would not like it. Can feel like a hotel, seemed quite busy etc. 

Not finalized anything still hunting near by but it's my top choice (& happy choice).

To buy or Rent. 

Overlooked that if you previously posted.

You stated....

"I see why some would not like it. Can feel like a hotel, seemed quite busy etc."

That's the absolute deal breaker for me along with some private ownership.

I'm starting to break out in a sweat.

Edited by DrJack54

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

To buy or Rent. 

Overlooked that if you previously posted.

You stated....

"I see why some would not like it. Can feel like a hotel, seemed quite busy etc."

That's the absolute deal breaker for me along with some private ownership.

I'm starting to break out in a sweat.

Just rent

40 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

In that case not a big deal. 

As for purchase a place like that would be last on my list.

What floor size. One bedroom.

Kitchen inside? 

The pics looked nice. 

2 Bedroom. Negotiating & deciding between their ~90sqm and ~108sqm (all 3 potential condos facing Ratchmari Rd)

The 108sqm has a separate kitchen while the smaller one has the kitchen combined with the living room.

The 2nd bedroom will be converted into a home office where most of my time is spent so not too worried about having a separate kitchen - foodpanda/grab is a daily anyways ????

16 minutes ago, Genix said:

2 Bedroom. Negotiating & deciding between their ~90sqm and ~108sqm (all 3 potential condos facing Ratchmari Rd)

The 108sqm has a separate kitchen while the smaller one has the kitchen combined with the living room.

The 2nd bedroom will be converted into a home office where most of my time is spent so not too worried about having a separate kitchen - foodpanda/grab is a daily anyways ????

Sounds smick.

As I mentioned. You obviously end up with what's suits your lifestyle.

That area is very Farang and many like that. 

Guess it's not far from Lumpini park which would be nice.

No parks where I am. 

Also if working then the spare room would be almost necessary.

Again only by way of comparison my life is polar opposite.

We enjoy lot of travel and can sometimes take off and spends months on island.

Having a flash joint just wouldn't suit my particular lifestyle.

As for you selection of layout again personal choice..

Under cover parking?

I know you don't want a car.

I didn't have one for many years and only purchased one last year.

Love it. Bit lucky as we have the "large" room (small by comparison to what your looking at) which includes in building car space. Never ever thought I would want that. Indeed I do. 

Edited by DrJack54

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Sounds smick.

As I mentioned. You obviously end up with what's suits your lifestyle.

That area is very Farang and many like that. 

Guess it's not far from Lumpini park which would be nice.

No parks where I am. 

Also if working then the spare room would be almost necessary.

Again only by way of comparison my life is polar opposite.

We enjoy lot of travel and can sometimes take off and spends months on island.

Having a flash joint just wouldn't suit my particular lifestyle.

As for you selection of layout again personal choice..

Under cover parking?

I know you don't want a car.

I didn't have one for many years and only purchased one last year.

Love it. Bit lucky as we have the "large" room (small by comparison to what your looking at) which includes in building car space. Never ever thought I would want that. Indeed I do. 

Personally, I view it as a half expense, half investment type of thing.

I spend 80% of my life working at home (love working) so having a nice place (open, clean, nice view, spacious) is something I really value a lot as a lot of my life is spent here.

The other 20% is at the gym (good one at this condo), restaurants/cafes, and on weekends going out.

In my mid 20s and I sometimes do have "afterparties" (not big ones, more like drinks at my place rather than "party"... just whoever is in the group at the night) which has had tremendous value in expanding my social circle here (for both, personal & business).

Nothing is confirmed with Magnolias yet - still checking other options as there may be better ones.

2 minutes ago, Genix said:

In my mid 20s and I sometimes do have "afterparties" (not big ones, more like drinks at my place rather than "party"... just whoever is in the group at the night) which has had tremendous value in expanding my social circle here (for both, personal & business).

And therein demonstrates why I live in a place opposite to what your describing.

You would be my neighbor from hell.

Fortunately you would not be permitted to do any of that in the condo building where I live.

Your "friends" would not be allowed in. 

If your music troubled me I would report and problem solved.

Some places have rooms owned by folk that sub rent them (often Airbnb or similar). Often causes problems.

Not possible where I live. No private ownership. 

1 hour ago, Genix said:

A nice kitchen can make a big difference,

Assuming you or a partner likes to cook then it offers lifestyle choices.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

And therein demonstrates why I live in a place opposite to what your describing.

Fortunately you would not be permitted to do any of that in the condo building where I live.

Some places have rooms owned by folk that sub rent them (often Airbnb or similar). Often causes problems.

Yep different choices.

And to clarify (I know you didn't mean it personally): I'm defo concious of my neighbors and any loud music/shouting/rudeness/disrespect to the building is not permitted in my home. Would report it too if my neighbors made noise. 

AirBnB places are the worst in Bangkok - if one's looking to sign a 1 year lease 10000% make sure you check if it's listed on airbnb/booking else it's going to be a nightmare with your lobby being packed with bags.

3 minutes ago, Genix said:

AirBnB places are the worst in Bangkok - if one's looking to sign a 1 year lease 10000% make sure you check if it's listed on airbnb/booking else it's going to be a nightmare with your lobby being packed with bags.

Yep pre covid we traveled to Japan 3 times a year and always stayed Airbnb. 

Big backlash in Japan from residents complaining about Airbnb. So much so that the government made massive changes to the requirements. 

I was thinking about places like Trendy building Sukhumvit.

Wouldn't live there for quids. 

41 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

May I ask what is the going rate for those 2 units at Magnolia?

There's two types of apartments I believe.

1) Through Official Residence Program (with benefits)

2) Private Ownership (20-30% cheaper)

Last time I went to check it turned out to be through Magnolias residence (met with agent, and we toured the condos with the official employee of Magnolias). Units were 39-49 floor. They were asking 120k for the 108 sqm and 100k for 90 sqm, fully furnished which includes

- 3x Cleaning a month

- 3000 Baht worth of laundry

- 4500 baht electricity (and then double what the government charges after)

+ Waldorf Astoria room service (not sure if exclusive for resident program... but anyways I imagine their room service is pricey... just get Grab)

HOWEVER checking on HipFlat/DD/etc there are plenty going for 30% cheaper so 70-80k would get you one with okay furnishing.

IMHO doing it with independents is better than through residence program unless you really value paying that much extra for those benefits.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Hi Dr Jack

I have always rented my condo from an owner - some good some not so good.  I was not aware that there were condos where private ownership was not allowed.  Is this common in Thailand? Have I understood you correctly i.e. that you are not able to invite a friend round for dinner or a drink.  I would be very interested in finding a well managed condo which cracked down on anti-social behaviour but I would also want my friends to be able to visit.  Are you able to tell me how you go about identifying condos which do not allow private owners?  I would be interested in checking out such condos.  Thanks in advance for any advice you are able to provide.

15 minutes ago, Adelphi said:

Are you able to tell me how you go about identifying condos which do not allow private owners? 

Thats a good question. I just lucked onto this joint. I can't advise how to find one. 

You can have friends over but we never bother as there are numerous eateries etc everywhere.

It's only 8 levels ground floor is L1.

The management is strict (also friendly) and I like that. 

This is all off topic from OP so best stop there.

Living highrise for myself would be a nightmare. 

PS no children are allowed to live here. Just gets better the more I think about it. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Genix said:

There's two types of apartments I believe.

1) Through Official Residence Program (with benefits)

2) Private Ownership (20-30% cheaper)

Last time I went to check it turned out to be through Magnolias residence (met with agent, and we toured the condos with the official employee of Magnolias). Units were 39-49 floor. They were asking 120k for the 108 sqm and 100k for 90 sqm, fully furnished which includes

- 3x Cleaning a month

- 3000 Baht worth of laundry

- 4500 baht electricity (and then double what the government charges after)

+ Waldorf Astoria room service (not sure if exclusive for resident program... but anyways I imagine their room service is pricey... just get Grab)

HOWEVER checking on HipFlat/DD/etc there are plenty going for 30% cheaper so 70-80k would get you one with okay furnishing.

IMHO doing it with independents is better than through residence program unless you really value paying that much extra for those benefits.

If 70k is your budget, I would also have a look at Q Langsuan.

It is arguably a more hi-so building and might even be in a better location. 

20211208_162611.jpg

20211208_162618.jpg

20211208_162630.jpg

20211208_162637.jpg

On 1/17/2022 at 9:43 AM, Genix said:

Ha I don't think it'll ever come to owning a car in Bangkok, Grab is cheap although there are times a car would be nice.

Motorbike sure, although probably not ... yet.

Condo is the Magnolias condo btw. Very nice, offer owner rental & residence programs.

Thanks for all the answers - much appreciated.

Yes, it seems to be a great area considering everything. Central, nice sidewalks, clean, everything is super close.

Only downside would be the protests, but it's worth the trade-off imo.

Just hide way at the back of the protests with a couple of bottle of fresh milk to wash the tear gas from the eyes of the young hot girls.  Great opportunity to meet a genuine Thai keeper.

I moved to pleonchit area in bangkok from Toronto and it’s been amazing. 
really quiet, has everything I need, like it better than other areas of Bangkok like asoke, nana, thonglor, ekkamai, on nut. 
seems more modern 

Edited by dj230

You might also consider Hansar on Mahadlekluang 2. Many of the benefits of Magnolias but a much calmer, zen feel (Japanese designed) and this is big - a private lift. Attached to a hotel so can get room service, etc, but no heavy traffic - very serene - and kitchen far superior to Magnolias (more of a bachelor pad kitchen).

We lived there for eight years and loved it (get the RBSC view if possible).