Are you experiencing “Pandemic Fatigue” here in Thailand?

webfact

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Taking the covid vaccine dramatically improves your life span expectancy

Effects of covid-19 pandemic on life expectancy and premature mortality in 2020: time series analysis in 37 countries

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj-2021-066768

Unless one of the "unlucky" ones that died with covid anyway.

Like I said, when your time is up it's over.

One thing I respected the Saudis for was their attitude towards death- "it is written". Not for them the cursing of God for allowing their relative to die. Buried them next morning and carried on.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Unless one of the "unlucky" ones that died with covid anyway.

Like I said, when your time is up it's over.

One thing I respected the Saudis for was their attitude towards death- "it is written". Not for them the cursing of God for allowing their relative to die. Buried them next morning and carried on.

Yet Saudi has 72% of its population covid vaccinated, perhaps they now want to live a little longer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryan754326 said:

I don’t see how the fact that I’m not living permanently in Thailand diminishes the point I was making.  
There are many people who have no choice but to spend every day doing a job that has a greater potential of killing them than covid does 

When you look at the numbers, do you think that the average moto-taxi driver in Thailand should be more worried about catching covid from his passengers, or being run over by a truck that is using the wrong lane to pass?

Has it occurred to you that COVID is in addition to all other risks?

The presence of those other risks does not negate the risks from COVID.

Yes there are many people who do risky jobs (more risky than COVID?)

However, millions, billions more, regardless of occupation, are at continual risk from COVID and all those in high risk jobs have the additional risk of COVID.

It’s COVID filling up ICU units and overloading health services across the globe, not work related accidents.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Has it occurred to you that COVID is in addition to all other risks?

The presence of those other risks does not negate the risks from COVID.

Yes there are many people who do risky jobs (more risky than COVID?)

However, millions, billions more, regardless of occupation, are at continual risk from COVID and all those in high risk jobs have the additional risk of COVID.

It’s COVID filling up ICU units and overloading health services across the globe, not work related accidents.

Many jobs are in fact riskier than covid to the majority of younger people who are in good health. My example of a Thai moto-taxi driver is just one, and the numbers back that up. 

It doesn’t seem to occur to you that for many of us who are statistically at a very low risk of dying from covid, it’s an easy choice between taking our chances out in the world, or hiding inside and going broke. 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ryan754326 said:

Many jobs are in fact riskier than covid to the majority of younger people who are in good health. My example of a Thai moto-taxi driver is just one, and the numbers back that up. 

It doesn’t seem to occur to you that for many of us who are statistically at a very low risk of dying from covid, it’s an easy choice between taking our chances out in the world, or hiding inside and going broke. 

COVID is a ‘Public Health Threat’ and is being met with ‘Public Health Responses’.

What some individuals perceive to be the major risks in their day to day life is an irrelevance.

Sorry for the inconvenience this causes you.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ryan754326 said:

There have always been hiccups in ordinary folks lives, for instance, my grandparents, 1914/18, my parents, 1939/45, no ifs or buts, get on with it...????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2022 at 3:54 PM, Bkk Brian said:

Yet Saudi has 72% of its population covid vaccinated, perhaps they now want to live a little longer

???????????????

I never said they wanted to die. I said the relatives reaction to death was more accepting than what would happen in a western country. NOT the same thing.

On 1/26/2022 at 11:13 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

COVID is a ‘Public Health Threat’ and is being met with ‘Public Health Responses’.

What some individuals perceive to be the major risks in their day to day life is an irrelevance.

Sorry for the inconvenience this causes you.

The entire point of my argument is that the public health responses aren’t taking into consideration who is actually at serious risk from covid, and who is not.  
What you call an inconvenience has destroyed many peoples lives and businesses. There are restaurants in my area that were open for decades, that have shut down over this, and now those people are left trying to rebuild their lives from scratch. 

I don’t think my “perception” of risks in my day to day life is irrelevant either. It’s no perception, the numbers prove it; I’m at extremely low risk of anything bad happening if I catch covid (again).

What do you think would happen if everyone perceived covid to be as dangerous as you do, and just decided it wasn’t worth the risk to go to work anymore?

Medical systems would have collapsed long ago (along with rest of the economy) due to lack of tax revenues, rather than from too many people showing up at hospitals.

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2022 at 11:18 PM, transam said:

There have always been hiccups in ordinary folks lives, for instance, my grandparents, 1914/18, my parents, 1939/45, no ifs or buts, get on with it...????

I’ve always accepted the reality that bad things can happen in life, and I’m grateful that I haven’t had to deal with a war in my lifetime, but getting on with it is exactly what most people seem to want to do at this point. 
There is no longer any good reason for those who are at low risk to be under any social restrictions. The UK government has apparently figured this much out, and is lifting them. All that it took was for a bunch of public servants to get caught partying, while everyone else was supposed to be locked down… And for people to see that those making the rules weren’t actually as scared of this virus as they wanted the general population to be. 

Edited by Ryan754326

3 hours ago, Ryan754326 said:

I’ve always accepted the reality that bad things can happen in life, and I’m grateful that I haven’t had to deal with a war in my lifetime, but getting on with it is exactly what most people seem to want to do at this point. 
There is no longer any good reason for those who are at low risk to be under any social restrictions. The UK government has apparently figured this much out, and is lifting them. All that it took was for a bunch of public servants to get caught partying, while everyone else was supposed to be locked down… And for people to see that those making the rules weren’t actually as scared of this virus as they wanted the general population to be. 

What are your qualifications to quote "There is no longer any good reason"...?

54 minutes ago, transam said:

What are your qualifications to quote "There is no longer any good reason"...?

I'm more of a ... "there never was any good reason" person.  

Is it even a 'pandemic' as that is supposed to be something that affects a large portion of the population.  What is considered large portion now.  1-3-5-10 %

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I'm more of a ... "there never was any good reason" person.  

Is it even a 'pandemic' as that is supposed to be something that affects a large portion of the population.  What is considered large portion now.  1-3-5-10 %

Here's the definition of a pandemic:

an epidemic occurring worldwide, or over a very wide area, crossing international boundaries and usually affecting a large number of people.”

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/3/9/21163412/who-coronavirus-covid19-pandemic-world-health-organization

On that basis, yes it is a pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 10:11 AM, Scott said:

Here's the definition of a pandemic:

an epidemic occurring worldwide, or over a very wide area, crossing international boundaries and usually affecting a large number of people.”

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/3/9/21163412/who-coronavirus-covid19-pandemic-world-health-organization

On that basis, yes it is a pandemic.

So worldwide, < 5 % (4.688%) of the population, infected, and < 0.1 % dying from.  Thailand so much less than even those numbers.

Here's webster's definition, a wee bit different than WHO's

Definition of pandemic

(Entry 1 of 2)

1: occurring over a wide geographic area (such as multiple countries or continents) and typically affecting a significant proportion of the population

Not sure < 5 % or < 0.1 % counts as as significant proportion.

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling comments removed
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

So worldwide, < 5 % (4.688%) of the population, infected, and far less % dying from.  Thailand so much less than even those numbers.

And that's a pandemic .... OK, if the scaremongers say so.  

They redefined vaccine, why not pandemic.

However you don't really believe those official numbers of worldwide infections do you? Or the official deaths?

x3 in the lower bound and far more in upper bounds of estimates, from WHO and other sources. Thats just so far, there is still a very long way to go yet, Omicron is far from done infecting people in the world yet.

IHME estimate 125 million Omicron infections a day worldwide

On 1/29/2022 at 10:54 AM, Bkk Brian said:

However you don't really believe those official numbers of worldwide infections do you? Or the official deaths?

x3 in the lower bound and far more in upper bounds of estimates, from WHO and other sources. Thats just so far, there is still a very long way to go yet, Omicron is far from done infecting people in the world yet.

IHME estimate 125 million Omicron infections a day worldwide

X10 on the death rate, and still less than 1% of world population.  Not sure that falls under ...

... "affecting a significant proportion of the population"

IMHO anyone, obviously, others disagree.

Love it when people state ... can't trust the numbers.

If you're going make them up along the way, why bother quoting anything.

So, I'll go by what I personally know & see.  Few that I know contracted, and NONE died of covid.  Sort of matches the #s I posted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/29/2022 at 11:10 AM, KhunLA said:

X10 on the death rate, and still less than 1% of world population.  Not sure that falls under ...

So, I'll go by what I personally know & see.  Few that I know contracted, and NONE died of covid.  Sort of matches the #s I posted.

Its not about not trusting the numbers its just pure common sense that not all cases are counted especially in underdeveloped countries.

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

So, I'll go by what I personally know & see.  Few that I know contracted, and NONE died of covid.

Two years on and I still don't know anyone that had it in this country or overseas. Certainly no one I know has died.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Common sense?

You cannot get a job as a Doctor, scientist etc by putting on your CV

1.  Qualifications .........................Common Sense....................................????

Well, perhaps you would.....????

Just now, transam said:

You cannot get a job as a Doctor, scientist etc by putting on your CV

1.  Qualifications .........................Common Sense....................................????

Well, perhaps you would.....????

I don't think anyone that is posting about covid has an infectious disease medical qualification, yet all of us are giving our opinions. Lets remember it's OPINION on an ANONYMOUS forum, not a gathering of qualified scientists and medics.

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2022 at 11:10 AM, KhunLA said:

Thank god for that...... OK every one, panic over, KhunLA says, as he doesn't know anyone that has contracted Covid we can all relax now and go out...????

He also says, all those he knows that have not caught Covid didn't die from it either.....????

Who da thought.......????

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 11:20 AM, Bkk Brian said:

Its not about not trusting the numbers its just pure common sense that not all cases are counted especially in underdeveloped countries.

Obviously, and I've posted those thoughts previously.  Death #s are a bit different...sort of. 

So again, fall back on common sense, word of mouth (my social media), and personal experiences, or lack of, when covid involved.  Not  pandemic IMHO, actually, not even close.  <1% worldwide, and that's greater than 10X the amount recorded dying from, so that's just silly, to call that a pandemic.

Again, just my opinion.  All welcome to their own.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't think anyone that is posting about covid has an infectious disease medical qualification, yet all of us are giving our opinions. Lets remember it's OPINION on an ANONYMOUS forum, not a gathering of qualified scientists and medics.

That's an assumption, ol' bean.....????

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

I do....????

I'm not claiming that no one on here knows anyone that did, but I'm pointing out it hasn't yet reached a level at which anyone I know has succumbed.

If a Martian were able to read this forum, IMO they could be excused for thinking that carts are being pushed around the streets to carry all the dead away.

• Haha 1

Just now, KhunLA said:

Obviously, and I've posted those thoughts previously.  Death #s are a bit different...sort of.  That goes both ways, as early on, anyone 'suspected' / untested of have covid was listed as covid death.  Many reports of gunshot & accident victims listed as.  

So again, fall back on common sense, word of mouth (my social media), and personal experiences, or lack of, when covid involved.  Not  pandemic IMHO, actually, not even close.  <1% worldwide, and that's greater than 10X the amount recorded dying from, so that's just silly, to call that a pandemic.

Again, just my opinion.  All welcome to their own.

The opinion of the professionals however;

IHME estimate 125 million Omicron infections a day worldwide

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Thank god for that...... OK every one, panic over, KhunLA says, as he doesn't know anyone that has contracted Covid we can all relax now and go out...????

He also says, all those he knows that have not caught Covid didn't die from it either.....????

Who da thought.......????

Reading comprehension ... "Few that I know contracted"

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

The opinion of the professionals however;

IHME estimate 125 million Omicron infections a day worldwide

I've said it before, but that isn't the significant number IMO. Hospitalisations and deaths are the numbers to watch. How many of those 125 million only had very mild symptoms or none at all and only knew infected because had the test?

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've said it before, but that isn't the significant number IMO. Hospitalisations and deaths are the numbers to watch. How many of those 125 million only had very mild symptoms or none at all and only knew infected because had the test?

Yes but I was in a discussion about infections with the poster. 

I have no idea how many are mild or or even no symptoms and how many are serious and lead to death but with Omicron its far less than in previous variants, thats why WHO and other experts always recommend looking at excess deaths:

"COVID-19 deaths are a key indicator to track the evolution of the pandemic. However, many countries still lack functioning civil registration and vital statistics systems with the capacity to provide accurate, complete and timely data on births, deaths and causes of death. A recent assessment of health information systems capacity in 133 countries found that the percentage of registered deaths ranged from 98% in the European region to only 10% in the African region.

Countries also use different processes to test and report COVID-19 deaths, making comparisons difficult. To overcome these challenges, many countries have turned to excess mortality as a more accurate measure of the true impact of the pandemic."

https://www.who.int/data/stories/the-true-death-toll-of-covid-19-estimating-global-excess-mortality

• Like 1