First meeting of House of Representatives this year collapses due to lack of quorum

webfact

Thai-PBS-World-logo-39-1.jpg

The first meeting this year of the House of Representatives suffered a setback yesterday (Wednesday) when it was abruptly adjourned due to the lack of a quorum.

The meeting began in the morning and lasted until, in the early evening, a party-list MP of the Tairaktham party stood up and asked Deputy House Speaker Suchart Tancharoen, who was chairing the meeting, to conduct a head count of MPs present in the chamber before the deliberation of a government-sponsored loan bill for educational purposes and four related bills of the opposition parties, noting that the bills are important and that sufficient MPs were present to make a quorum.

Only 227 MPs were counted as being present in the chamber, which was ten short of half of the existing 473 House members required for a quorum. Suchart immediately adjourned the meeting.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/first-meeting-of-house-of-representatives-this-year-collapses-due-to-lack-of-quorum/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-01-20

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

They call this a demcracy ?

At least after a day long meeting realised not enough for quorum , late but at least the bills were not passed. Really sharp speaker to not know not enough members to fill a quorum. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

They call this a demcracy ?

At least after a day long meeting realised not enough for quorum , late but at least the bills were not passed. Really sharp speaker to not know not enough members to fill a quorum. 

The previous Chief Whip was suspended owing to the futsal court corruption scandal.

A new whip was put forward, but maybe he hasn't been "confirmed" yet?

And head enforcer thamanat is persona non grata these days.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

The previous Chief Whip was suspended owing to the futsal court corruption scandal.

and no person able to count heads through the door into the chamber?????

4 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

and no person able to count heads through the door into the chamber?????

...and/or none of the support staff tasked to regularly (perhaps every 30 minutes) check the numbers? 

Checking, anything, in the LOS seems to be wrong by many.

At my old uni I asked numerous times, starting 60 days before each course started whether the textbooks / course materials were ready/had been ordered/what was the anticipated arrival date.

Why did I (and most other professors) check this often? Obvious answer, because again and again day 1 of the new cousr came, no students have received their new books/materials.

So I (and other profs. ask the bookroom supervisor "what's happening?"  

Most often the reponse was "But professor we're very busy."

"Well can you please order the books much earlier?'

Response: no esponse, just head down and play with miss kitty items on the desk. 

Many times I checked 2 or 3 days before day 1. Nothing ready. So I got one of my regular/reliable students to take a copy of the textbook from my library to an outside printer and got the first 2 or 3 chapters copied (at my expense), a set for evey student in the upcoming course.

I would then give these copies to the bookroom supervisor and request they hand them out when students came for their new books/materials. Often the response was 'but we're very busy'.

Again and agin some books arrived but not enough. Again a discssion with the bookroom supervisor would reveal the books were ordered very late (even 2 or 3 days before start date),  which revealed that the publishers rep. in Thailand didn't have enough copies so had to wait for more copies from abroad. 

I ask 'have you been checking with the book rep when the extra books will arrive?' Response 'we're too busy to check things, professsor can you please call the publisher's rep. and check'.

Or, but professor why can't 2 or 3 students share one book? My response 'you're forgetting that the students have paid for a personal textbook' again head down and no response.

Reality was that the person involved was a part-time senior military officer. One would hope that the military unit did regular checks of numerous items.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

...and/or none of the support staff tasked to regularly (perhaps every 30 minutes) check the numbers? 

Checking, anything, in the LOS seems to be wrong by many.

At my old uni I asked numerous times, starting 60 days before each course started whether the textbooks / course materials were ready/had been ordered/what was the anticipated arrival date.

Why did I (and most other professors) check this often? Obvious answer, because again and again day 1 of the new cousr came, no students have received their new books/materials.

So I (and other profs. ask the bookroom supervisor "what's happening?"  

Most often the reponse was "But professor we're very busy."

"Well can you please order the books much earlier?'

Response: no esponse, just head down and play with miss kitty items on the desk. 

Many times I checked 2 or 3 days before day 1. Nothing ready. So I got one of my regular/reliable students to take a copy of the textbook from my library to an outside printer and got the first 2 or 3 chapters copied (at my expense), a set for evey student in the upcoming course.

I would then give these copies to the bookroom supervisor and request they hand them out when students came for their new books/materials. Often the response was 'but we're very busy'.

Again and agin some books arrived but not enough. Again a discssion with the bookroom supervisor would reveal the books were ordered very late (even 2 or 3 days before start date),  which revealed that the publishers rep. in Thailand didn't have enough copies so had to wait for more copies from abroad. 

I ask 'have you been checking with the book rep when the extra books will arrive?' Response 'we're too busy to check things, professsor can you please call the publisher's rep. and check'.

Or, but professor why can't 2 or 3 students share one book? My response 'you're forgetting that the students have paid for a personal textbook' again head down and no response.

Reality was that the person involved was a part-time senior military officer. One would hope that the military unit did regular checks of numerous items.  

A check? Like on rifles, you mean?????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

A whip is exactly what most of these members deserve.