Thailand to resume registration for quarantine-free ‘Test and Go’ program on Feb 1

snoop1130

39 minutes ago, au82tiger said:

I figured something like this would happen.  4 days ago I got my TP for the 7 days quarantine, for the 4th of February.  I live in Khon Kaen so traveling back & Forth would be ridiculous, but it'd be nice to not be in lock down for no good reason.  On top of that my car is there in Bangkok at my usual hotel and just the other day they started their ASQ status.  It could have been very nice to be in a one day quarantine with my car with me.  I wonder if I could get it changed... but I'll bet you can't apply for the Test 'n Go until the 1st.  If anyone has any insight I'd love some input.  Tim

There seems to be problem with Thai people, in print/text, using "the" instead of "a".

One sees it all the time, ie "passengers must have the ticket for travel" instead of "passengers must have a ticket for travel".

My guess is that tourists will be required to book into a hotel, anywhere, for the 5th day test.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

Hopefully as time progresses the Government will realize that to test again on day 5 is not the best tactic, because arrivals will have been wondering around the Country with a risk of becoming infected. 

Perhaps that is what they are hoping for 10 days in hospital at an extortionate cost

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Yes. But why test again on day 5 now? Tourists have 5 days roaming around during which they may catch the virus. Lots of covid here, my daughter is isolating at home with it as we speak. So the day 5 test serves what purpose?

The purpose is to continue to give the hotels and associated hospitals extra income!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

This is NOT Test and Go . 

The second test does not make it TEST AND GO. It makes it test and test again then go after 5 days, except in Thai logic the 5th day is really the 6th day. 

If you are coming on holiday for a week or two, this is utterly ridiculous and fraught with risk of testing positive and thus ending up in a hospital for 2 weeks. 

It's essentially just the Sandbox programme isn't it ?

Test Go Test Go

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Astonishingly idiotic....

OK - Test & Go with 1 night makes sense...

.... but the 5th night highlights an utter degree of paranoia combined with utter stupidity and all because a handful of people have ‘travelled on’ before getting a result which was positive.

I can’t fathom the idiocy of discussion in that room when these decisions were being made....

Most unfathomable Thai officialdom decisions are easily explained by reference to Hanlon's Razor and the Dunning Kruger effect. Or perhaps more simplistically by the 'Thai Thick gene ' ???? 

• Like 1

My feeling and was hoping to go in jan/feb now it be after sonkran in april, last year thats when it shutdown, the 10 days isolation when found positive more lightly with omicron for the next month or 2

The new rule to enter Thailand is just one big sandbox.

Might go Cambodia in march for a month first.

Edited by tomyami
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fulhamster said:

The sole purpose of the 2nd hotel booking is purely baht

I thought it was because some infected people were not showing up as positive on-arrival testing. Perhaps not having been infected long enough, (could be infected en-route). There were a few cases and hence the day 5 testing came in....

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

By definition, there cannot be an overstay for hospitalizations during Test and Go. 

There has been several instances of visitors being levied fine for overstay.

but then, who has the nerves to argue about this, when one could potentially miss a flight and cost even more

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I thought it was because some infected people were not showing up as positive on-arrival testing. Perhaps not having been infected long enough, (could be infected en-route). There were a few cases and hence the day 5 testing came in....

Previous people arriving with a thai pass fully vaxed and 72 hour found to be less than 2%

locals mostly untested, poor quality vaccines and most social interaction are the bigger risk put the two together who is more likely to infect....

and its not the one who has to pay

Edited by tomyami

14 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I thought the 300 baht surcharge should cover for health insurance for at least a month or two. 

Does anybody have full details of:

- how it works/

- what is covered/

- how long the cover lasts/

- can it be extended etc?

13 minutes ago, tomyami said:

Previous people arriving with a thai pass fully vaxed and 72 hour found to be less than 2%

locals mostly untested, poor quality vaccines and most social interaction are the bigger risk put the two together who is more likely to infect....

and its not the one who has to pay

Locals have been vaccinated with AZ or Pfizer in some cases and is not the issue.... that is a diversion.

.......2 in a hundred foreign arrivals can infect a lot of people, Treetown might be an example! Omicron certainly did not walk here. 

19 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

You just know that come 10th February there is going to be a whole host of stories and posts on here about catching covid whilst out in the general populace for 4 days between first and second test !

I'll stick with my 7 days hotel AQ. Chances of catching covid between 1st and 2nd test in AQ hotel is pretty remote compared to mixing with the 142th per million ranked untested thais. Don't mind sacrificing a few days as  I should be in country for minimum 14 months

Coming to same conclusion. I arrive on 3rd Feb from the UK.

This day 5 test means a risk for picking up C19 while walking round outside, assuming you pass the day 1 test, and then facing the possibility of hospital/hospitel sanctions and the aggravation around getting an insurer to pay for it if asymptomatic.

It would be handy to be let out of the room, though, to go poolside/sunbathing as I'd assume that's low risk if ensuring socially distancing/hygiene (and not expecting many guests about anyway....).

In any case, the TP website still shows the Test & Go option hasn't been updated  so it's not selectable as of now. I'm not willing to wait more than 8 days before I make my TP application so if it's not sorted by next Monday then I am just applying via the AQ method.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, MarkyM3 said:

You do realise the vast majority of C19 cases are coming in across the porous land borders and have been since the start of the pandemic. Foreigners arriving by air, being double or triple vaxxed and tested before and on arrival, carry a relatively low risk. 

People testing positive on day 5 of this scheme will most likely have picked it up in Thailand. 

I recall that was the case early in the pandemic.. shrimp processors etc.  I have not seen data or informed posts to confirm this... land borders are officially closed aren't they still?

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, simola said:

Who in their right mind would want to go to Thailand for a holiday? Day 1 and 5 tests. Bars and pubs closed. Restaurants on curfew. Public still scared to death through lack of information and communication.  There are so many other countries that will welcome you with open arms. 

Indeed, I'm only coming in Feb-June for essential personal business that has been on ice for 2 years. Two of my friends who want to travel to the region have dropped the idea. 

• Like 1

Just now, jacko45k said:

I recall that was the case early in the pandemic.. shrimp processors etc.  I have not seen data or informed posts to confirm this... land borders are officially closed aren't they still?

I think they are but I'm mainly talking about people crossing illegally from Myanmar, which has hundreds of miles of borders with Thailand. As do other countries. Myanmar in turn borders Bangladesh, which borders India etc..  

I just don't see what this T&G scheme is achieving, it's AQ-lite and is a real fudge. 

• Thanks 2