Thailand to resume registration for quarantine-free ‘Test and Go’ program on Feb 1

snoop1130

6 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Can you suggest another country in Asia with less crazy entry regulations? 

Singapore….stringent, but not crazy.

Japan. S Korea, Malaysia, Indonesia….all seem sensible enough with varying levels of restriction.

I haven’t checked every country in Asia because I can’t be bothered.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Japan. S Korea, Malaysia, Indonesia….all seem sensible enough with varying levels of restriction.

I can't get into any of those countries. Entry of foreigners is prohibited. Except for Bali, where there is quarantine. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Astonishingly idiotic....

OK - Test & Go with 1 night makes sense...

.... but the 5th night highlights an utter degree of paranoia combined with utter stupidity and all because a handful of people have ‘travelled on’ before getting a result which was positive.

I can’t fathom the idiocy of discussion in that room when these decisions were being made....

Can they ever come up with anything straight forward, without ifs & buts, & 101 other conditions?

Is Thailand the only country that receives foreign tourists and travelers? What conditions are imposed by other countries!

If foreigners ever dream of being treated on a level playing field in Thailand, other nations has to start applying some of these creative conditions to Thai traveler's abroad.

Is there ever an end to silly decisions!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tomyami said:

Cambodia 72 hour per flight if vaxed no quarrantine or test on arrival, what planet are you on!!

All over social media havent see 1 positive reaction second T&G after 5 days is a money grab and a BIG inconvience 2 hotel + the place you in first 5 days not health a precaution

I read the plight of few other tourists, who were 'hospitelised' for being tested positive during their stay after 'test & go'...

Few of them got fined for overstaying the visa period, upon departure at the airport...

But then, they were not allowed to leave the country, as they were locked up in a hospitel!

You just cant win

Edited by mjakob007

As far as I'm concerned, this is still not quarantine-free.  I will be quarantined if I test positive for Omicron.  That seems a very likely outcome right for anyone traveling in the next couple weeks.  By Feb 1 hopefully we all have antibodies but this policy makes zero sense from any angle I can see.  I'm not going until I'm not threatened with arrest for being sick or have de facto zero chance of such a medical arrest.  

Edited by wealthychef
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, mjakob007 said:

I read the plight of few other tourists, who were 'hospitelised' for being tested positive during their stay after 'test & go'...

Few of them got fined for overstaying the visa period, upon departure at the airport...

But then, they were not allowed to leave the country, as they were locked up in a hospitel!

You just cant win

By definition, there cannot be an overstay for hospitalizations during Test and Go. 

10 minutes ago, koele2 said:

You have to always assume the authorities are making decisions based on how to wring the most money out of the tourist.  Health and safety is a distant second.  If you look at things in those lens, everything will make sense and you will never shake your head in disgust and astonishment again!

There are far easier ways for the authorities to make money than by imposing an extra RT-PCR test for tourists. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JomtienEats said:

Seeing as Omicron is already endemic and highly transmissible in Thailand, you've got a good chance of contracting covid between day 1 and 5.

You're then treated to 10 days of non symptomatic hospital quarantine which your insurance is lucky enough to pay for, provided they are fool enough to insure you against such an eventuality, which they assuredly will not be.

If you're lucky, you'll be out in time for your return flight.

Let the madness end.

Dont forget if you overstay due to covid, immigration will fine you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If you need to book 5 nights in SHA+ approved hotels, it means you'd have to be in a 5-night quarantine as well as taking 2 PCR tests (for those  fully vaccinated).This sounds more like ‘Get scammed and Go’.
Hopefully they are not turning the country into next Sri Lanka.
Here it says book the hotel for Day1 and Day5, and in the 4 days in between you are free to go anywhere.
This is so confusing.

Welcome to the ‘Land of Confusion' IG.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/test-go-registration-back-on-travellers-can-apply-for-entry-for-feb-1

04F96DCA-D787-4459-AB7A-690F11DCF517.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

They do some nutty things in India.......and China.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tony M said:

Must have SHA+ or AQ or AHQ accommodation booked for the 1st and 5th nights (for the PCR tests) ?   And you can go anywhere for days 2, 3 and 4 ?   Am I missing something here ?

<deleted>, that's probably the most bizarre restriction on the planet, who actually thinks these things up, ????????

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The restrictions with test and go were already quite substantial, and the process was not the easiest to handle. And now, they are adding a 5th nite, with a hotel quarantine? Will it be as expensive as the 1st nite? Do they actually think that more than 50,000 tourists a month will buy into this?

Feels like more extremely timid, highly cowardly, fear based ideas from the small men. Granted, it is better than a 7 day sandbox, but my questions is, will they ever just man up and do the gender proud?

Obviously cobbled together by a "committee" of vested interest Generals.. I thought soldiers were supposed to be brave.?

• Like 1

I figured something like this would happen.  4 days ago I got my TP for the 7 days quarantine, for the 4th of February.  I live in Khon Kaen so traveling back & Forth would be ridiculous, but it'd be nice to not be in lock down for no good reason.  On top of that my car is there in Bangkok at my usual hotel and just the other day they started their ASQ status.  It could have been very nice to be in a one day quarantine with my car with me.  I wonder if I could get it changed... but I'll bet you can't apply for the Test 'n Go until the 1st.  If anyone has any insight I'd love some input.  Tim

1 hour ago, Canadian Snowbird said:

Sorry Thailand, but that just doesn't work having to go back again for that 2nd test. You're just setting people up to fail on the 2nd test.

Indeed.  It feels like a Venus fly trap!  Let's see how many tourists fall into it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, worrab said:

This is more than crazy!! I am going to UK in June and returning end of July and live in Bang Saphan Noi. So unless this changes, again, I will have to stay in Bangkok for the duration???

Based on government demands throughout the pandemic I'd guess that the rules will probably change several times before the end of July. I'm supposed to to travel to/from Dubai in a month and still have no idea whether I'll be able to without running a risk of quarantine when I return a couple of weeks later. I'd say my chance of going is 10% at best. But who knows? Rules might well change again at the end of the month. Or tomorrow.