Thailand to resume registration for quarantine-free ‘Test and Go’ program on Feb 1

snoop1130

On 1/20/2022 at 12:08 PM, stigar said:

Sure it will.I just talked with my incurancecompany in my country.Im fully covered if i get covid while in thailand.

Same if you don't get covid but are a contact case, as such quarantined in hospital ?

• Like 2

I live in Khon Kaen, So what do I do? Do is stay in the hotrl the first day, after my Test comes back positive , I fly home to Khon Kaen, and five days later I fly back to BKK to do another day in quarantine?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

They stopped accepting new applications for that option weeks ago. Only people who already had a pass issued can still do it.

Thank you. But at present many hotels do not do the tests themselves. Passengers are dropped off at a hospital en route from the Airport to the hotel. Once tested they are  taken on to the hotel. This avoids the necessity for the hotel to employ medical staff 24 hrs. I think it very unlikely that the day 5 test will be taken in a hotel.

10 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

I'm beginning to think the day 5 test isn't about protecting people, but to get a 2nd chance at incarcerating visitors against their will and at their expense. I think this gov't enjoys that kind of power over farangs, they really don't want farangs coming and they'd rather keep Thailand for Thai people.

And this is just the beginning?

Of your thought process I mean.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

I live in Khon Kaen, So what do I do? Do is stay in the hotrl the first day, after my Test comes back positive , I fly home to Khon Kaen, and five days later I fly back to BKK to do another day in quarantine?

Just like every other time when foreigners were allowed back in, just wait a wee bit until the dust settles and it's been formally gazetted.

Last summer when foreigners were first permitted to enter/re-enter, it took a few weeks to get the AQ hotels all lined up. The same happened when Thailand Pass kicked off last November and it took about a week for the AQ to get their ducks in a row. Since AQ isn't a new game, and SHA Extra + (and whatever else they label it) is already being required for restaurants and hotels in most provinces, I will be surprised if there's NOT a list of provincial AQ hotels getting put together to support the new Test & Go rules.

Looking at the latest update from AQ.in.th , right now they only have 14 hotels in Bangkok that will do the '5-day' Test & Go package. They also say that you can pick two different 1-day AQ hotels but of course right now, they are working on the (easier) Bangkok options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pattaya1234was said:

Thank you. But at present many hotels do not do the tests themselves. Passengers are dropped off at a hospital en route from the Airport to the hotel. Once tested they are  taken on to the hotel. This avoids the necessity for the hotel to employ medical staff 24 hrs. I think it very unlikely that the day 5 test will be taken in a hotel.

Whether the hotel has on-site medical staff is determined by the hospital that they are in partnership with. Those doing the on-site testing are not hotel staff. The larger the partnered hospital and/or its proximity to the hotel will determine if testing is 'on-the-fly' or 'on-site'. Either way, the hotels typically explain where the testing is done. If they don't specify this and it is important to know, simply contact the hotel directly.

13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Whether the hotel has on-site medical staff is determined by the hospital that they are in partnership with. Those doing the on-site testing are not hotel staff. The larger the partnered hospital and/or its proximity to the hotel will determine if testing is 'on-the-fly' or 'on-site'. Either way, the hotels typically explain where the testing is done. If they don't specify this and it is important to know, simply contact the hotel directly.

So you are confident the proposed plan is going to work? Somehow, I think not! We'll see! I can see the BMW Smart cars being very busy!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It's only January. Stop panicking.

Certainly not panicking as I just have to accept whatever obstacles there will be to return. Does not change the fact that the ones in charge do not have a clue. And yes, there is bound to be at least 2 or 3 flip flops by then hopefully finishing with a PCR before flying and the vaccination certificate. We will see.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pattaya1234was said:

So you are confident the proposed plan is going to work? Somehow, I think not! We'll see! I can see the BMW Smart cars being very busy!

When Thailand soft-opened to certain foreigners last summer, despite the doom and gloom merchants, naysayers and 'what-if' fan boys, it eventually worked out just fine.

When Thailand introduced Thailand Pass, despite the doom and gloom merchants, naysayers and 'what-if' fan boys, it eventually worked out just fine.

When Thailand added Test & Go to Thailand Pass, despite the doom and gloom merchants, naysayers and 'what-if' fan boys, it worked just fine.

Then again, despite the rigmarole and personal travails of skipping in and out and in again, I'm still a glass half-full kinda guy.

22 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Locals have been vaccinated with AZ or Pfizer in some cases and is not the issue.... that is a diversion.

.......2 in a hundred foreign arrivals can infect a lot of people, Treetown might be an example! Omicron certainly did not walk here. 

Plus let's please err on the side of caution.

Nobody, including the global experts know exactly how infectious it is, what's going to happen next etc. 

Beter to try to be safe for own health, family and everybody.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, simola said:

... There are so many other countries that will welcome you with open arms. 

Ooooh nooooo.... not that old chestnut again?

So many that you can't be bothered to name any of them?

PS: Cambodia (still) doesn't count.

• Confused 1

Mexico was flavor of the month only last week when the usual forum suspects gleefully pointed out that Mexico had apparently relaxed or removed ALL Covid travel restrictions on foreigners. Hot debate on food, women, accommodation , quality of life and cost of living ensued. Those ardently pursuing answers to the last couple of questions should read this.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/22/one-canadian-killed-after-tourists-shot-at-mexican-beach-resort-hotel

"... The attack at a luxury hotel compound comes amid a string of shootouts on the Yucatan peninsula’s Mayan Riviera, which have killed or injured tourists who were caught in the crossfire.

A team of at least 10 gunmen stormed a beach at a luxury hotel near Cancún in November, killing a person linked to a rival faction and dragging away another person trying to hide.

A Californian travel blogger and a German tourist were killed in October at a restaurant in Tulum, south of Playa del Carmen, during a shootout between suspected gang members. ..."

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Mexico was flavor of the month only last week when the usual forum suspects gleefully pointed out that Mexico had apparently relaxed or removed ALL Covid travel restrictions on foreigners. Hot debate on food, women, accommodation , quality of life and cost of living ensued. Those ardently pursuing answers to the last couple of questions should read this.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/22/one-canadian-killed-after-tourists-shot-at-mexican-beach-resort-hotel

"... The attack at a luxury hotel compound comes amid a string of shootouts on the Yucatan peninsula’s Mayan Riviera, which have killed or injured tourists who were caught in the crossfire.

A team of at least 10 gunmen stormed a beach at a luxury hotel near Cancún in November, killing a person linked to a rival faction and dragging away another person trying to hide.

A Californian travel blogger and a German tourist were killed in October at a restaurant in Tulum, south of Playa del Carmen, during a shootout between suspected gang members. ..."

So what are you saying?  Is Mexico worse than Thailand or is Thailand worse than Mexico?

On 1/20/2022 at 4:46 AM, stigar said:

Thats their plan.I cant understand those who is eager to go there.

<putting hand in the air>
I haven't been back to Thailand since Jan 2020.  Consequently haven't seen my wife (or dogs) for that amount of time.  No relevance that they are in the same sentence; "wife" comes first.  ????

I booked my air last week.

Today I booked my hotel.  I decided to book a hotel for 8 days.  I was already planning a return and a 7 night quarantine stay, so this will be much better (and is actually cheaper).  It will be great if I can really move freely around town on some of the days.  Paid and fully cancellable (through Agoda).

I already have international expat travel insurance through Cigna; but I priced the government version of COVID insurance and I will buy that as well.  They list "asymptomatic" hospitalization is covered (who knows the truth), but I will buy it this time just in case.  I didn't buy insurance yet as it is not refundable. 

I will wait until the 1st to apply for the visa.  I'll need to bite the bullet on the insurance before I apply.

One can only hope.  I'm tired of being here in the USA.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chaihot said:

<putting hand in the air>
I haven't been back to Thailand since Jan 2020.  Consequently haven't seen my wife (or dogs) for that amount of time.  No relevance that they are in the same sentence; "wife" comes first.  ????

I booked my air last week.

Today I booked my hotel.  I decided to book a hotel for 8 days.  I was already planning a return and a 7 night quarantine stay, so this will be much better (and is actually cheaper).  It will be great if I can really move freely around town on some of the days.  Paid and fully cancellable (through Agoda).

I already have international expat travel insurance through Cigna; but I priced the government version of COVID insurance and I will buy that as well.  They list "asymptomatic" hospitalization is covered (who knows the truth), but I will buy it this time just in case.  I didn't buy insurance yet as it is not refundable. 

I will wait until the 1st to apply for the visa.  I'll need to bite the bullet on the insurance before I apply.

One can only hope.  I'm tired of being here in the USA.

I understand you.I been 3 months with my lady last year.I have an open 6 months ticket starting late march.As long as thailand makes it more and more expencive and difficult to go there i will wait.We have another option and that is that my lady come here.Actually much easier.She can easy get a 90 day visa to my country.Anyway she have a big hairsalon so she cant just close it for so long time.

I have a good incurance from my country that will cover me 100% if i get covid in thailand or other issues about my health.I wonder how thais would react if they forced to buy an incurance from a company in the country they travel to.Then we would be accused as rasists i guess.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 11:31 PM, tomyami said:

Its actually 7, 1 day in each AQL and 5 days in between can be different hotels if your out and about you might pick up covid then 10 more days,

1 week AQL looks a good alternative at least after 7days your free with more choice of hotels/location and room types, or sandbox,

Its really a gouging tourist tax, just picking the one with the least hassle and where you locate.

i am all done now re flight/Thailand pass/insurance/taxi/two RCP Tests/is  and now

another little problem raises its head.

back in the days of Test & go type 1, the hotel told me that my wife was not allowed to stay in my hotel room , and as i had to stay in the room just for one night i can understand that, but now i am allowed to go out and all is ok as long as i sleep in my hotel, but what about the wife ? she has two jabs and so have i ,we will be out together every day but will they then try and make us book two rooms ? i asked the Expert on here about six hours ago but still no answer,  and my original hotel T& G told me under no circumstances could my wife share the taxi from the airport. it seems a bit iffy if you

can be in someone's company all day but you have to pay for two rooms.

maybe the ''Expert'' will wake up and let us know the Rules...will not be surprised as the old test and go wasn't reeling in the dollar.    

17 hours ago, scorecard said:

Plus let's please err on the side of caution.

Nobody, including the global experts know exactly how infectious it is, what's going to happen next etc. 

Beter to try to be safe for own health, family and everybody.

Unusual post these days, most seem to deride and undermine the issue....  

10 hours ago, garyk said:

So what are you saying?  Is Mexico worse than Thailand or is Thailand worse than Mexico?

Per the linked above Guardian.com report, you said that you flew from Colombia to the Yucatan Mexico just last week. Why not answer that one yourself?

Edited by jerrymahoney

On 1/20/2022 at 5:41 PM, JomtienEats said:

Seeing as Omicron is already endemic and highly transmissible in Thailand, you've got a good chance of contracting covid between day 1 and 5.

You're then treated to 10 days of non symptomatic hospital quarantine which your insurance is lucky enough to pay for, provided they are fool enough to insure you against such an eventuality, which they assuredly will not be.

If you're lucky, you'll be out in time for your return flight.

Let the madness end.

Beat me to it and all that really needs to be said about the reinstatement. Anything after your first night especially if you are free to traipse all over Thailand is totally redundant. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zoza said:

i am all done now re flight/Thailand pass/insurance/taxi/two RCP Tests/is  and now

another little problem raises its head.

back in the days of Test & go type 1, the hotel told me that my wife was not allowed to stay in my hotel room , and as i had to stay in the room just for one night i can understand that, but now i am allowed to go out and all is ok as long as i sleep in my hotel, but what about the wife ? she has two jabs and so have i ,we will be out together every day but will they then try and make us book two rooms ? i asked the Expert on here about six hours ago but still no answer,  and my original hotel T& G told me under no circumstances could my wife share the taxi from the airport. it seems a bit iffy if you

can be in someone's company all day but you have to pay for two rooms.

maybe the ''Expert'' will wake up and let us know the Rules...will not be surprised as the old test and go wasn't reeling in the dollar.    

Happened to a bloke I flew in with from Oz. Flew his missus down to suvarnabhumi put her up in a room in the novotel had the fridge stocked the works. Knowing Thailand I said mate little chance they will let you stay together.

Basically the shq rooms are in a separate wing so he had to pay again and to add insult to injury his missus wasn't allowed into the shq wing to stay with him but 6 hours later he was allowed to go to the non shq wing to be with her ...amazing Thailand.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NanLaew said:

When Thailand soft-opened to certain foreigners last summer, despite the doom and gloom merchants, naysayers and 'what-if' fan boys, it eventually worked out just fine.

When Thailand introduced Thailand Pass, despite the doom and gloom merchants, naysayers and 'what-if' fan boys, it eventually worked out just fine.

When Thailand added Test & Go to Thailand Pass, despite the doom and gloom merchants, naysayers and 'what-if' fan boys, it worked just fine.

Then again, despite the rigmarole and personal travails of skipping in and out and in again, I'm still a glass half-full kinda guy.

I think your glass is/was more then half full!  Everything might have been fine for you but there are countless others for whom this was not the case. I look forward to hearing of your experience with Test and Go mark2. Good luck with that!

• Like 2

What sense does it make to keep the Sandbox program in Phuket ect?

Now that test and go started for all countries also with 2 PCT Tests in Thailand, same as the Sandbox, but only with 2 needed hotel bookings, why should someone want to book 7 days in the Phuket sandbox instead of only 2 days with Test and Go in Phuket?

1 minute ago, Crisu said:

What sense does it make to keep the Sandbox program in Phuket ect?

Now that test and go started for all countries also with 2 PCT Tests in Thailand, same as the Sandbox, but only with 2 needed hotel bookings, why should someone want to book 7 days in the Phuket sandbox instead of only 2 days with Test and Go in Phuket?

That is a very good point!