Thailand to resume registration for quarantine-free ‘Test and Go’ program on Feb 1

snoop1130

24 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

A bit like your suggestion that covid is the fault of tourists arriving at BKK.

No, I particularly meant and stated omicron Covid which had not been found in nearby countries at that time.   First Thai case came in from Spain! You are many many months behind us. 

Look up 'gibberish' too!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, JomtienEats said:

Seeing as Omicron is already endemic and highly transmissible in Thailand, you've got a good chance of contracting covid between day 1 and 5.

You're then treated to 10 days of non symptomatic hospital quarantine which your insurance is lucky enough to pay for, provided they are fool enough to insure you against such an eventuality, which they assuredly will not be.

If you're lucky, you'll be out in time for your return flight.

Let the madness end.

Spot on.

2 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Learn the basic facts before you start deflecting.

That link is about Alpha... again you are late and talking of the wrong subject. That was 6 months ago. You seem only to want to be offensive in light of being completely out of date and apparent anti-Thai rhetoric. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, MarkyM3 said:

I agree 100% and I'm hardly looking forward to arrival in Feb for 5 months with things as they stand.

Howeve, in Asia at least, the picture is hardly better. I planned to travel in the region and, as of now, can't even get into Malaysia or Vietnam. Philippines is 5 day quarantine I believe. Singapore does have quarantine free entry but several tests post-arrival. So the Asia picture isn't great. Perhaps South America etc. are better destinations for those who are flexible.

FWIW, I just spent Christmas and New Year in the US and the atmosphere was very normal. I took one antigen test 24 hours before departing UK and that was it. A recommendation to do an antigen on day 3-5 and I was given a kit when arriving in Chicago. No obligation though and it would be home isolation on your own account. The UK and US figures are high but hospitalisation/death rates have not climbed in a corresponding manner and they will be the first out of this Omicron wave. Shutting up shop simply is a waste of time here and the sooner we learn to live with this virus, the better. 

Excellent post.

What is really worrying is that people seem to be accepting this "new normal" of illogical money making entry rules.

It's as if after 2 years they are being conditioned to jump through hoops.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

That link is about Alpha... again you are late and talking of the wrong subject. That was 6 months ago. You seem only to want to be offensive in light of being completely out of date and apparent anti-Thai rhetoric. 

https://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/who-closing-borders-ineffective-in-fight-against-covid-19/

What don't you understand?

23 hours ago, Tony M said:

Must have SHA+ or AQ or AHQ accommodation booked for the 1st and 5th nights (for the PCR tests) ?   And you can go anywhere for days 2, 3 and 4 ?   Am I missing something here ?

Wait for the detail Tony.  Pretty sure it will be 1 night in a hotel and 2 tests booked. Doesn't make any sense otherwise.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Thanks 1

So what about expats on day 5 who go home to chiang rai, Nan Khon Kaen wherever…they have to go to a SHA hotel where?

why can’t they just test from a nearby hospital in their hometown or any tourist wherever they may be traveling…

you surely can’t make them return to bkk for one night just for a test/night in a hotel? 

just have people send the test results by email to a central location…

just craziness….

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

It has not worked so far in Phuket, with Tourists being allowed to wander all over the island at will, after leaving their Accommodation.

But I guess its a small price to pay for a few Tourist Dollars.

It's not for a 'few tourist dollars.' Its one of a number of strategies being introduced to help start the economy  again and as  such has widespread  support.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And there you have  it. Just Thai bashing basically

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarkyM3 said:

Howeve, in Asia at least, the picture is hardly better. I planned to travel in the region and, as of now, can't even get into Malaysia or Vietnam. Philippines is 5 day quarantine I believe. Singapore does have quarantine free entry but several tests post-arrival. So the Asia picture isn't great. Perhaps South America etc. are better destinations for those who are flexible.

Cambodia is worth a check, I believe if you are fully vaxx you only need a rapid test on arrival.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Cambodia is worth a check, I believe if you are fully vaxx you only need a rapid test on arrival.

Cambodia vaxed and 72 hour preflight and go no test on arrival

Edited by tomyami
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mjakob007 said:

There has been several instances of visitors being levied fine for overstay.

but then, who has the nerves to argue about this, when one could potentially miss a flight and cost even more

Many visitors are fined for overstays. But zero for those who test positive during Test and Go.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It doesn't seem to have enlightened you... you keep going on about what happened 6 months or more go. Omicron was first detected in Thailand in a USA/Thai  who flew in from Spain, other cases, 2 in CM, a Brit and German who flew in under Test and Go. A Newspaper I cannot quote was attributing most Thai Omicron to Test and Go arrivals at Bangkok. 

I am done with you and your infantile cartoons that you think prove something.

You haven't answered one point that has been put to you.

Do you think Thailand's pathetic proactive testing rate would have even picked up omicron in the country?

What about the WHO article saying travel border restrictions are a waste of time?

Do you think Thailand can eridicate a globally endemic virus?

Now stop defecting and attempt to answer a few simple questions.

According to Reuters, its the same as before but you have to agree to a second test (which I doubt will be free) and your movements being checked. No mention of a second night in a hotel.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-resume-quarantine-waiver-vaccinated-arrivals-feb-2022-01-20/

Edit:

However, I've just read a press release from TAT that says 'confirmed payments for accomodation on Day 1 and Day 5, two RT-PCR tests and a pre-arranged airport transfer on Day 1' so god knows, its madness is its correct.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

According to Reuters, its the same as before but you have to agree to a second test (which I doubt will be free) and your movements being checked. No mention of a second night in a hotel.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-resume-quarantine-waiver-vaccinated-arrivals-feb-2022-01-20/

Edit:

However, I've just read a press release from TAT that says 'confirmed payments for accomodation on Day 1 and Day 5, two RT-PCR tests and a pre-arranged airport transfer on Day 1' so god knows, its madness is its correct.

What isn't clear also (at least to me) is whether they will allow people entering after 1st February to apply for a T&G TP now or whether the TP site will not allow applications at all until 1st February. In my case, I arrive on 3rd February, so can't wait until 1st Feb to apply on the off chance it works and is turned around in less than 48 and will have to stick with my AQ arrangements. 

Cut-off for my is Monday morning UK time. I'll apply for TP via AQ at that point if no progress. Already got my 60 day SETV. 

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

A bit like your suggestion that covid is the fault of tourists arriving at BKK.

Alpha and Delta was spread in Thailand by HiSo Thai's in Thong Lor and by migrant labour crossing land borders.

No matter how many times people are told those facts, it's easier to destroy tourism to keep a virus variant out that is now endemic in Thailand.

UK will try to live with covid from March. Apparently 40-60% of those in hospital "with" covid were admitted for other reasons.

Most worrying on these threads, is that people seem to think a Test-Wait-Maybe-Go-Hospital on arrival in Thailand is still acceptable as part of the "new normal".

It isn't.

There doesn't seem to be an agreed on principle to what a new normal might be, as it's being practiced and observed differently the world over. Sometimes pragmatic and other instances quite mindless. It does vary from one cultural mindset to another. 

There shouldn't be any such pretense as to the silliness and the imaginative spirit displayed by the Thai authorities and their on-again/off-again revised [often ridiculous] every month entry/arrival programs. Almost akin to a flavour-of-the-month club.......guaranteed to be more unreasoned than the added protocol calls for. Steeped in foolishness, they keep adding unnecessary procedures with each revision/update. Almost comical. 

The "new" Feb 1 remake of the TP/T&G is a perfect reflection. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

Many visitors are fined for overstays. But zero for those who test positive during Test and Go.

I was wondering about that. I am scheduled to fly out of Thailand right at the end of my visa and wondered what would happen with my status if I were to test positive and have to delay my departure. 

9 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Yes. But why test again on day 5 now? Tourists have 5 days roaming around during which they may catch the virus. Lots of covid here, my daughter is isolating at home with it as we speak. So the day 5 test serves what purpose?

The point was that the Phuket Sandbox plan was based on the island being a controlled zone that you could travel around after you tested negative with no access to the rest of Thailand until after the 7 days and another negative test. Of course that also relied on a high vaccination rate on the island and a secure border around the island which I don't know if they achieved. The idea wasn't that bad but implementation may not have been so good. I stopped looking at the Phuket news after it became clear that probably wouldn't be an option for me.

As for the test on day 5 under Test & Go I agree it doesn't seem to make much sense unless they could achieve the same vaccination rates and border security  that they planned for Phuket which of course they can't. Even if they thought the test after 5 days was a good idea  then why do you need to go into a hotel? For the first test it makes some sense as you've been tested before leaving to travel and then you are isolated before you are allowed out after you know you are negative. As you say after 5 days if you've go it then you've already spread it before you got there. The hotel stay is ridiculous as you are already in Thailand under the same circumstances as the rest of the population but they don't need to stay in a hotel if they need a test as far as I know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

I was wondering about that. I am scheduled to fly out of Thailand right at the end of my visa and wondered what would happen with my status if I were to test positive and have to delay my departure. 

You may indeed have an overstay under those conditions, but that would be long after your Test and Go entry is over.