Thailand road carnage: Nation's latest "at-the-scene" fatalities - it's getting even worse, three more a day

webfact

On 1/21/2022 at 9:03 AM, Dmaxdan said:

But remember that many Thais regularly get the pedals muddled up so slowing down for anything isn't that straightforward.

It truly is a phenomenon.

They just won't slow down for anything, exept when slamming brakes on at last second.

I have always wondered what brain mechanism (or lack of) causes this.

Fascinatingly, it isn't just driving; it can be observed in walking too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thunglom said:

THat's because they had right of way - look up your Highway Code.

That is funny. I think you are referring to the BHHWCU (bizarre highway habits we cannot understand) codes. Anyone on a highway traveling in a straight path always has the right of way, worldwide. Some jokers just don't know much, don't care, don't get the laws of ingress, or don't have a sufficient self preservation instinct. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

That is funny. I think you are referring to the BHHWCU (bizarre highway habits we cannot understand) codes. Anyone on a highway traveling in a straight path always has the right of way, worldwide. Some jokers just don't know much, don't care, don't get the laws of ingress, or don't have a sufficient self preservation instinct. 

TH Highway Code for Thailand is available in English - unfortunately it dates back to 1979, but the only updates appear to have been recently to cater for the change in speed limits.

Priority in Thailand is by default, to the left. A mirror image of France and most of the EU.

Edited by Thunglom
  • Confused 1

Just now, Thunglom said:

(bizarre highway habits we cannot understand)

This is so true - Foreigners just don't get driving in Thailand - they think everyone should drive as they do at home - wherever that was - 

If you find yourself shouting at other drivers in Thailand I have to say the problem is probably with you.

10 hours ago, Saanim said:

It's not easily comparable: what is the percentage of the 330,000,000 riding a bike?

Ever seen in US hundreds of bikers waiting for the green light at a Bkk intersection?  Most of them trying to get a pole position - not so different view as the GP racing.

I've been riding motorcycles since my first trailbike at 10 years old (39 years ago). I ride motorcycles in Bali, for months at a time, most years since 1997. Never been in an accident, the driving attitude there is MUCH safer. Everyone has a 'we're all in this together' attitude. Thailand however.... completely different story. Look, driving danger is a worn out subject in Thailand, same arguments and same points and nothing ever changes. Thai people are obviously satisfied with their roads, or it would be a political platform, which it hasn't been. It all comes down to: Thailand is for Thai people and everyone else is foreign, so why bother when they don't welcome the interference or insight? The only reason I got dragged into this pointless thread was someone made the error of comparing the US numbers as worse than Thailand's for some reason, so I offered the per capita numbers to correct the misdirection. If someone thinks the numbers aren't relevant, they can counter argue with facts and I'll be happy to reconsider. Otherwise, there's better use of my time than research the inconsequential for a result that will never take effect. Peace out.

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, you can argue that he is effective at manipulating the system, corrupting everything and everyone around him, and maintaining power. But, how effective has he been at running the economy, restoring tourism, and bringing happiness to the people? So, at a minimum, he has created a sad and truly dismal result. That is pathetic. 

Yes, the results aren't very good but Thai politics is Machiavellian, apart from party politics he must also look over his shoulder at the military as well as being careful to satisfy various powerful figures who keep him in power. I obviously don't know him but since he is a military politician I assume he is only interested in his own position of power and at that he has done rather well so as a person he isn't pathetic, probably a dangerous man to cross with a bank account that we can only dream of. A man with one eye on the army and another on public opinion, he is in out of his depth but he has claws kept well hidden.....for now.

8 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

Thai people are obviously satisfied with their roads,

Are the roads in Bali better than in Thailand? And of course, when looking everywhere in Bali? 

Any other 3rd world country where the roads are so good as in Thailand? Up to the last village?

Not to speak about roads somewhere in the 1st (2nd) world country...  

9 hours ago, Thunglom said:

This is so true - Foreigners just don't get driving in Thailand - they think everyone should drive as they do at home - wherever that was - 

If you find yourself shouting at other drivers in Thailand I have to say the problem is probably with you.

Well, there is a big difference between not getting some of the things Thai people do on the highway, and sheer recklessness, tremendous lack of skill, a staggering lack of situational awareness, not planning on what to do next, tailgating at 120kph, taking stunning risks with your entire family on board, and manifesting the kind of impatience that compels you to pull out in front of a car doing 120kph, when you could have waited 2 more seconds, and had a clear highway. None of that is about a cultural difference. All of that is about inane ignorance of safety. I do not shout at others on the highway. I just shake my head in wonder. 

c1_1827429.jpg

3261268.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Are the roads in Bali better than in Thailand? And of course, when looking everywhere in Bali? 

Any other 3rd world country where the roads are so good as in Thailand? Up to the last village?

Not to speak about roads somewhere in the 1st (2nd) world country...  

Hell no, mostly near impossible to get out of second gear was my recollection. There was a nice toll road from the mainland though that one got a view of flying in and out. Rural areas of Thailand get a poor deal wrt roads.... but the highways are often pretty good. 

KOMCHADLUEK: Anger on social media over a police officer who hit and killed a doctor who was on a pedestrian crossing. Cars had stopped to let her cross but he was driving a big bike at speed. He was slightly injured and allegedly then left the scene

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1485070174307123201

A tragic consequence of the appalling road safety culture in Thailand. Driving is routinely shockingly irresponsible. It’s very dangerous to stop for people at pedestrian crossings because drivers in other lanes often roar straight through, hitting those who started to cross.

Quote Tweet

Khaosod English

(1/3)Family of Waraluck Supwatjariyakul urges anyone who has an information about the driver of a red Ducati big bike to contact police after Waraluck was killed on a crosswalk on Phya Thai Road in front of Bhumirajanagarindra Kidney Institute Hospital, Bangkok, at 3.10pm Friday.

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1485069164952039426

UPDATE: Man behind Ducati big bike which killed a pedestrian at a crosswalk has now been identified as Pol Lance Corporal Norawit Buadok. #WhatsHappeningInThailand #Thailand #KEImage

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Thunglom said:

The road accident rates and resultant injuries, disabilities and fatalities would disagree with you there.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, anchadian said:

KOMCHADLUEK: Anger on social media over a police officer who hit and killed a doctor who was on a pedestrian crossing. Cars had stopped to let her cross but he was driving a big bike at speed. He was slightly injured and allegedly then left the scene

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1485070174307123201

A tragic consequence of the appalling road safety culture in Thailand. Driving is routinely shockingly irresponsible. It’s very dangerous to stop for people at pedestrian crossings because drivers in other lanes often roar straight through, hitting those who started to cross.

Quote Tweet

Khaosod English

(1/3)Family of Waraluck Supwatjariyakul urges anyone who has an information about the driver of a red Ducati big bike to contact police after Waraluck was killed on a crosswalk on Phya Thai Road in front of Bhumirajanagarindra Kidney Institute Hospital, Bangkok, at 3.10pm Friday.

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1485069164952039426

UPDATE: Man behind Ducati big bike which killed a pedestrian at a crosswalk has now been identified as Pol Lance Corporal Norawit Buadok. #WhatsHappeningInThailand #Thailand #KEImage

Policeman on a big bike killing a young woman then fleeing the scene.

Despicable and out of control.

• Thanks 1

One time there was a statistics that most of road accidents happen on Kho Samui, not sure how are the current figures.

And that's because the tourists feel free to drive, something what they do not feel at home. So, on the narrow roads accidents happen, mostly by bikes, not only by the local people.   

11 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The road accident rates and resultant injuries, disabilities and fatalities would disagree with you there.

the number of collisions per day in Thailand are about the same as in the UK. 350 per day.

When you shout at other drivers it is because you don't understand how they are driving - they are experienced and know what's going on. 

If you really want to understand Thai driving just assume you are in a boat on a river - then it all makes sense.

22 hours ago, Thunglom said:

That is just so much rubbish, the drivers ( I use the term very loosely ) here do not have a clue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

That is just so much rubbish, the drivers ( I use the term very loosely ) here do not have a clue.

Sadly that is the attitude of so many foreign drivers who come to Thailand. They have a bizarre sense of entitlement and no idea what their own driving ability is really like.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Saanim said:

One time there was a statistics that most of road accidents happen on Kho Samui, not sure how are the current figures.

And that's because the tourists feel free to drive, something what they do not feel at home. So, on the narrow roads accidents happen, mostly by bikes, not only by the local people.   

Samui has a much larger proportion of foreigners on their roads than the rest of Thailand. 

Many hire motorcycles without any insurance - they don't even have a motorcycle licence from back home. Because they are on holiday they don't war appropriate clothing and have no experience of diving on the roads of the island. One problem is that threads are frequently covered in sand; a perfect device to get an unsuspecting biker to slide off a the slightest opportunity. They also have no idea of the Thai Highway Code and many have never driven on the left before.

The roads in Samui have been "improved" recently - this is a joke...all they do is allow vehicles to go faster and have more serious accidents. Some of the worst road building I've ever seen.

The Tai authorities are totally inconsistent in gathering road safety statistics - it is nigh-on impossible to get regional statistics  for recent years but trying to get a long period is just impossible.

'Lack of helmet wearing and drunk driving are cited as two major causes. 

Lack of proper police enforcement, poor driver and rider training and political lip service to the issue are cited as contributing factors.'

I've been saying this for some time and so have many others. All they need now is do something about it. 

One really important thing they could teach is.  Inertia. What is it and how will it affect you in or on your vehicle. 

It's affects won't be stopped "because this is Thailand" which was one reason I was given for not needing to wear a seatbelt.

On 1/22/2022 at 5:20 PM, Thunglom said:

My wife is Thai and if someone drives straight out from the left she's the one that shouts at them. Maybe she's got it wrong as well. Oh and those Thais that fail to give way to me when I'm coming from the left.

Who knows?

2 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Sadly that is the attitude of so many foreign drivers who come to Thailand. They have a bizarre sense of entitlement and no idea what their own driving ability is really like.

I took my test on the road where I was going to drive after getting my licence not a car park round some cones. Also I have to be more careful because we have a police force in the UK.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 9:25 AM, Henryford said:

So you think a poor thai family of four should fork out 25,000 baht for good helmets. It's OK to moralise when you earn big money.

Sorry you are wrong at several levels.

First, it doesn't cost 25/4 ~ 6thousand Baht to get a decent helmet. Since the "poor family" is probably not driving 4 Ducati big bike's but more likely 4 Wave's, a 1,000B helmet is already a good protection.

Second, 1,000 B is about 5% of the cost of buying a used Wave, not to mention a new one. Or about 10 full tanks. Or a couple of small repairs on the bike. The sad reality is that they see it as 20 beers.

Third, a LOT of people do have a helmet, simply they carry it on their elbow or strapped to the bike, in the possibility of a police check. Why, is beyond any excuse.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2022 at 12:18 AM, Thunglom said:

TH Highway Code for Thailand is available in English - unfortunately it dates back to 1979, but the only updates appear to have been recently to cater for the change in speed limits.

Priority in Thailand is by default, to the left. A mirror image of France and most of the EU.

This applies to the case of two vehicles that reach a junction, when there are not traffic signs.

Only.

It doesn't not justify a car that comes from a small soi on my left when I am on a main road on my motorbike, and happily cuts in front of me forcing me to slam on my brakes.

The REALITY is that many drivers in this country think that a car has priority over a motorbike under any circumstances. And a motorbike over a pedestrian.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 9:12 PM, Thunglom said:

THat's because they had right of way - look up your Highway Code.

You don't know. The poster you replied to said they were coming from a side street. If the street was smaller, it very likely had a stop sign or a continuous white line on the asphalt.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Sorry you are wrong at several levels.

First, it doesn't cost 25/4 ~ 6thousand Baht to get a decent helmet. Since the "poor family" is probably not driving 4 Ducati big bike's but more likely 4 Wave's, a 1,000B helmet is already a good protection.

Second, 1,000 B is about 5% of the cost of buying a used Wave, not to mention a new one. Or about 10 full tanks. Or a couple of small repairs on the bike. The sad reality is that they see it as 20 beers.

Third, a LOT of people do have a helmet, simply they carry it on their elbow or strapped to the bike, in the possibility of a police check. Why, is beyond any excuse.

That last paragraph is absolutely right. The same attitude can be seen in cars and pickups. They don't have to buy seatbelts as they are in there when they buy them they just don't bother to use them, particularly in the back because they don't have to so they don't worry about the police.

12 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Samui has a much larger proportion of foreigners on their roads than the rest of Thailand. 

Many hire motorcycles without any insurance - they don't even have a motorcycle licence from back home. Because they are on holiday they don't war appropriate clothing and have no experience of diving on the roads of the island

So, that's does not comply with the view that only the Thai drivers are driving so crazy on Thai roads. 

13 hours ago, kimamey said:

My wife is Thai and if someone drives straight out from the left she's the one that shouts at them. Maybe she's got it wrong as well. Oh and those Thais that fail to give way to me when I'm coming from the left.

Who knows?

She's probably imitating you.