Thailand road carnage: Nation's latest "at-the-scene" fatalities - it's getting even worse, three more a day

webfact

I have been driving for 54 years, inc 25 years as a European coach driver, and in all that time  and inc 10s of thousands of coach passengers nobody has ever told me to slow down on bends, well as many people have told me, you learn something every day.

• Thanks 1

Nothing is never going to change in a positive way if the police doesn’t act as such and start to stop & fine the Thais for a change, whether on their scooter ( who drive against the traffic, jump the red lights continuously and needless to say wear a proper helmet not those plastic egg shells that they wear or whilst driving their car watching their phone instead of looking who’s around them ???? 

Lots of work to be done on implementing a proper driving training to start with but where are you going to find clued up Thai instructors ????????‍♂️
As a biker myself, the most fun is to ride fast into the bends leaning over with a knee down but these could never manage to ride that way since they can’t even ride/drive in a straight line for a few minutes ????????‍♂️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

So anybody that witnesses anything, it is only anecdotal evidence and somehow needs to be thrown out! OK, you win!

As I said , you don't appear to understand what anecdotal evidence is.

"evidence in the form of stories that people tell about what has happened to them"

Edited by Thunglom

53 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

They won't wear helmets, but they ALL wear a mask on a motorbike. Even when driving alone! Can someone explain this logic to me? It's baffling.
If the Thai govt can use the same tactics as they do to get people to wear masks, for helmets as well, I think it would be a huge improvement.

who are "they" - be precise.

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

"evidence in the form of stories that people tell about what has happened to them"

40 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Stop arguing. I stated some FACTS as part of the relating of my observations (not perceptions) I wasn't under the influence except for knowing what I was doing, over a two hour period. My EVIDENCE could be proved by repeating the exercise with two lawyers and a judge accompanying me or maybe with your good self for you to verify my findings. Would that be permissible? You can call things what you like but I DID see (about) 206 motorcyclists without helmets!

THE END!

Edited by ChrisKC
typo
  • Like 1

Police need to started enforcing the law on Helmets on a regular bases. At the same time helmets need to be made for the job intended. Not what is on the market now for poor people to buy, a piece of plastic that just about keeps the rain out and does nothing when you hid the ground to protect your head. My helmet cost (BMW) Police issue £400.  But you can buy decent one for around £100/150.  What price a life or serious injury????

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Stop arguing. I stated some FACTS as part of the relating of my observations (not perceptions) I wasn't under the influence except for knowing what I was doing, over a two hour period. My EVIDENCE could be proved by repeating the exercise with two lawyers and a judge accompanying me or maybe with your good self for you to verify my findings. Would that be permissible? You can call things what you like but I DID see (about) 206 motorcyclists without helmets!

THE END!

They re not facts and not repeated - you are just engaging in confirmation bias. - confirmation bias (“confirmation bias,” the tendency people have to embrace information that supports their beliefs and reject information that contradicts them). This is common on threads about road safety - it also degrades the discussion to a series of Thai bashing.

Edited by Thunglom
  • Confused 2

30 minutes ago, Black Angus said:

Police need to started enforcing the law on Helmets on a regular bases. At the same time helmets need to be made for the job intended. Not what is on the market now for poor people to buy, a piece of plastic that just about keeps the rain out and does nothing when you hid the ground to protect your head. My helmet cost (BMW) Police issue £400.  But you can buy decent one for around £100/150.  What price a life or serious 

You'd be lucky if you could get the average Thai to pay 150bt for a piece of useless plastic.

3 hours ago, Ramdas said:

Nothing is never going to change in a positive way if the police doesn’t act as such and start to stop & fine the Thais for a change, whether on their scooter ( who drive against the traffic, jump the red lights continuously and needless to say wear a proper helmet not those plastic egg shells that they wear or whilst driving their car watching their phone instead of looking who’s around them ???? 

Lots of work to be done on implementing a proper driving training to start with but where are you going to find clued up Thai instructors ????????‍♂️
As a biker myself, the most fun is to ride fast into the bends leaning over with a knee down but these could never manage to ride that way since they can’t even ride/drive in a straight line for a few minutes ????????‍♂️

The police here are completely useless, when it comes to traffic safety. They have no interest in acting as a deterrent. None. They are to safety, what Mylie Cyrus is to nuclear physics. They are the very definition of indifferent. They are a large part of the problem. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

They won't wear helmets, but they ALL wear a mask on a motorbike. Even when driving alone! Can someone explain this logic to me? It's baffling.
If the Thai govt can use the same tactics as they do to get people to wear masks, for helmets as well, I think it would be a huge improvement.

I'm sure if you went ahead and bought helmets for them. they would wear them! 

You are comparing a face mask worth 5 THB (and sometimes even gifted away) with a helmet (which even the worse quality ones will be in the hundredths of baht).

13 hours ago, actonion said:

Police enforcement ? i want to know how the  Police can enforce any road traffic violation  when they dont know  the rules of the Highway code themselves

My Thai brother inlaw  is a Policeman  while spending time with him and a  couple of his collegues, i questioned them,  in a light hearted way,  on questions   in the Highway code, not even one  of them could answer any questions  put to them,  but they thought long and hard   before admitting they didnt know the answers 

Lots of police in Thailand but zero policing.

• Like 1

that  is why i once wrote legalising cannabis in thailand won't make things "easier". if "many" thais can't figure out driving drunk is dangerous, will they be able to "understand" driving under the  influence of LEGALISED" drug is  dangerous as well?

note: i respect thai people, have many thai friends, love thailand, speak more or less the language: if someone find my comments direspectful, it's just bad faith.

Only yesterday, I had decided I would count the number of motorcycles with Riders and passengers without helmets.

It was the quietest time of the day and I was out for two hours on my bicycle

I counted 206 that included 3's on a bike, babes in arms. Not to mention, other observed offences and of course unobserved offences as in some having no licence and so it goes on - and on!

does the 206 include the motorbikes going the wrong way or jumping the medians ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not underage driving in PA, USA ... did you read this part:

"Save your silly comments"

Legal drinking age back then was actually 21, now it's 18.  I was getting drunk and driving at 15, if need to know.  Common where I grew at ????  after working a 12 hour shift ... and yea, that was illegal also.  But, want to play, got to pay, means you got to work.

I believe some States still hand out driving licences at 14 and 15 year-olds

Edited by Thunglom
  • Like 1

Those most significant part of this photo (there are crashes all over the world - the majority in Thailand are motorbikes.) is the "ambulance"

A pickup truck! no less. - and to cap it all with lowered "boy-racer" suspension!

The emergency services must contribute hugely to the death toll on Thai roads.

Poorly trained medics who are known to fight over who attends an accident with no central emergency services, inconsistently and ill-equipped vehicles attached to hospitals that may or may not have a fully-fledged A&E department and then probably don' have trained staff either.

It is scandalous.

1010909317_6-34-1024x576.jpg.b0f278aded76fbeda9bd89ce7fd661df-2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, keithkarmann said:

Low standard of all education not just driving education. Coupled with the thinking that they can never do anything wrong and the "I am Number 1" attitude. It is always someone else's fault.The government could sort things out but it is too late now.

It does not help when the thinking is that they will go to a better life when death happens.

Exactly. Successful Road Driver Training here must include somehow overriding the fatalistic passive Culture. Follow Thai Pilot Training methods perhaps ? They don’t seem to crash much …

17 hours ago, Enoon said:

Drunk about to crash their car:

image.jpeg.cb191d492ac8ac81815f6f86ba1c3481.jpeg

Stoner about to crash their car:

image.jpeg.074fc72e072d9231fb3f4fad2461c64f.jpeg

Apparently it's OK to wipe yourself and others out if you're wide awake and non-violent, but distracted due to uncontrollable laughter, bingeing on snacks, staring at that cool sunset or having a "really fantastic idea".

You can add "texting on their cell phone" to the list as well

20 hours ago, ezzra said:

Way too many fatalities for 66 million people, and wait when they legalize the growing of marijuana and drivers will partake in using it now that it is legal...

I don't think that something being legal or illegal bothers a Thai much, it would however be illegal to drive while under the influence of marijuana but then so is drink driving.....enough said. In the UK DUI of drugs has overtaken drink driving and even though the police are equipped with drug testing swipes for cocaine and marijuana they seem powerless to stop it, even old ladies get arrested now after testing positive for drugs. The thing is I doubt if the police have the equipment to test for drug driving and since they aren't even very gung ho on drink driving I suspect that accidents will now climb as joints will now be dirt cheap and freely available and also not so detectable at a roadside stop.

• Haha 1

Strangely enough, there has been an increase in the number of road accidents and deaths in the UK and Ireland over the past year too. Many people have reported deteriorating driving standards generally.

I wonder what they might have in common with Thailand.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Stoker58 said:

Strangely enough, there has been an increase in the number of road accidents and deaths in the UK and Ireland over the past year too. Many people have reported deteriorating driving standards generally.

I wonder what they might have in common with Thailand.

Perhaps drivers wearing the masks wrong!!!

Although here in Thailand, I get an impression it is people driving home blind drunk!

• Like 1

Just yesterday two people cut out in front of me, on motorbikes coming from a side street, on two different occasions, and did not even glance in my direction, even though I was on a main road. Where is the survival instinct? Who enters a road without looking for traffic? Why such nonchalance? Why such recklessness? 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mywayboy said:

Dont know their A!@% from their Elbow.

Not much grey matter between the Ears sadly. 

My Mrs  thought  the rear brake on her Honda Wave was a foot rest  wondering why she  repeatedly  went over the handlebars when braking, always applying (the only)  front brake

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Just yesterday two people cut out in front of me, on motorbikes coming from a side street, on two different occasions, and did not even glance in my direction, even though I was on a main road. Where is the survival instinct? Who enters a road without looking for traffic? Why such nonchalance? Why such recklessness? 

That is standard, in fact I steer clear of the extreme left when approaching junctions.......(except when going around a bend when the opposite direction traffic will be over on their right). If I tried to do this the hairs would stand up up my neck.... and slowing or stopping means I might get hit from behind!!