Thailand road carnage: Nation's latest "at-the-scene" fatalities - it's getting even worse, three more a day

webfact

6 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Was there not a survey done on Thai traffic police recently that exposed 70% of them could not answer basic questions on the Thai Highway Code?

Interesting ....I did'nt see that 

if I may, in my view ……

”Poor driver and rider training is the major cause.

Lack of helmet wearing, drunk driving, lack of proper police enforcement and political lip service to the issue are contributing factors

A122CB56-3963-431A-A0D7-555B1EDFECCA.jpeg.9561144a39c695468c060fe521a91a1b.jpeg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, greenmonkey said:

I do feel that the standard of driving has deteriorated recently. Out where i live in Nonthaburi the drivers seems to be speeding much more and driving much more recklessly and aggresively. I really have seen a marked difference. They drive without any fear or any saftey in mind. I have seen 3 crashes in the last couple of weeks all in the exact same spot (sharp u-turn bridge). I have seen crashes in my local makro and a pedestrian getting hit by a car, many scooters being attended to in the aftermath of accidents... it really seems to be spiralling.

Must be a side-effect of the Sinovac Covid-19 vaccine. Long Covid?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

This is the first time I've ever seen the media talking bout how and who gators the information, There are former stat available that give a much clearer picture but the media don't seem to know they exist.

Remember it is most dangerous if you are a vulnerable road user, in particular motorcycles which comprise around 75% of all fatalities.

In a car or pickup , you are slightly LESS vulnerable than in the USA

Edited by Thunglom
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Only yesterday, I had decided I would count the number of motorcycles with Riders and passengers without helmets.

It was the quietest time of the day and I was out for two hours on my bicycle

I counted 206 that included 3's on a bike, babes in arms. Not to mention, other observed offences and of course unobserved offences as in some having no licence and so it goes on - and on!

Multiply this by a whole day, a month on just one road 0f 20kms, then multiply again by all the towns and cities in Thailand and one arrives at a number so large that one's "gasted" couldn't be more flabbered.

I find it distressing to know some of these people will have left home alive but won't return!

Personal anecdote is not data - that's not how you do it. You need to count (at least on a clicker) ALL the traffic - it then it needs to be  counted over a long period. You then need to define "quietest time of day" - e.g. period of times of day/night - then classify all the traffic and define how many people were on motorbikes. Then how many of those were wearing not wearing helmets and who are passengers etc.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Way too many fatalities for 66 million people, and wait when they legalize the growing of marijuana and drivers will partake in using it now that it is legal...

Alcohol, corruption and the lack of mobile traffic patrols are main factors contributing  to roadway deaths.  Legalization of marijuana and roadway deaths attributed to it remains to be researched. Saying it will is hardly measurable.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Here's a silly comment.  At 16  - under age drinking, under age driving and the two combined?

Not underage driving in PA, USA ... did you read this part:

"Save your silly comments"

Legal drinking age back then was actually 21, now it's 18.  I was getting drunk and driving at 15, if need to know.  Common where I grew at ????  after working a 12 hour shift ... and yea, that was illegal also.  But, want to play, got to pay, means you got to work.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Thunglom said:

Personal anecdote is not data - that's not how you do it. You need to count (at least on a clicker) ALL the traffic - it then it needs to be  counted over a long period. You then need to define "quietest time of day" - e.g. period of times of day/night - then classify all the traffic and define how many people were on motorbikes. Then how many of those were wearing not wearing helmets and who are passengers etc.

It is NOT an anecdote. These are accurate figures, either I saw them as stated or I am guessing/fabricating them. This is a general forum, I am not creating statistics for the Transport Dept. or for any official use. And it WAS the quietest time of day. I know the road well! If it helps you, while I didn't count those who WERE helmeted I guessed it was about 50%. My exercise had to take account of riding my bike at the same time and nothing to do with other vehicles - only the helmet issue which was easy to do! Sorry, maybe there were 209 or 203.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1