My Experience of Test & Go

KhaoYai

6 hours ago, Emeraldisle said:

Not sure where to ask this but here goes.

I have a "Certificate of recovery from Covid 19".

Is this sufficient to apply for Test and Go when it resumes?

you need 2 jabs.

your recovery certificate might save you 10 days hospital/hospitel, if your result is positive.

If you do have 1 jab plus recovery you can use it for 90 days, but airlines might have an issue with it.

If you dont have any jabs it's7 days AQ hotel

My plane arrived together with 2 or 3 others more or less at the same time, hundreds of people in front of me. We have to wait 1,5 hours to finally reach the immigration counter. I have to wait another 20-30 minutes while other guests to the same hotel were collected. The hotel was called ".... Airport Hotel" but the van needed some 20 minutes to get there, without traffic jam and mainly on the highway. I arrived the hotel some 3 hours after the plane was landed.

Immediately I was tested at a desk in front of the hotel and got the result after 13 hours. Surprisingly the quarantine allowed freely moving in the building, the court and the restaurant. Staff and room were very nice, however as the T&G package was cheap the buffet was not pleasant, probably better I would have ordered from the menu. When I checked out they gave me a ATK test set which I used some days later recognizing that it was officially useless.

I installed the Mor Chana app on 2 phones, one with a European sim, the other with a Thai sim. One does not work, the other shows always the same, never ever got a message, never ever someone was asking me if I installed it on my phone. It's useless.

I live in 5 minutes walking distance from a well-known private hospital and 10 minutes to drive to the university hospital, however they are not allowed to do the second PCR test but only 3 recommended ones on the list. I called all 3. The nearest No 1 was fully booked on that day and it was already my 7th day. No 2 send me directly to No 3 where I arrived after a 20 minutes ride by Grab. As there was not the smallest hint in English where the test station is located I have to ask 5 people and going around to find it temporarily installed in the parking space in the basements of building no 3. Exactly on the "plastic wall" in front of registration desk there was the first paper pinned with some short information in English. The test itself was done in a nearby "tent". I got the result by e-mail on the same day.

What else to say than "amazing Thailand".....

Edited by AlfonsV
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, it's all changed now. When the Test & Go scheme resumes (applications open on Feb. 1, they say), travelers will have to have an official first and second test in an approved SHA-Plus hotel, with booking of room on both Day 1 (arrival day) and on Day 5, and wait for the 2nd test result before checking out or mingling in public areas. I was required to remain in my albeit very comfortable room before getting the arrival test result at about 6:30 AM. 

I arrived BKK on 13th January.  Test was quick and easy in a car park on way to hotel. (Note they only put swab up one side of nose, that was it, cool)

Reached hotel and was told to downliad morchana App, but I noticed the tracker part is switched off unless you activate that.

One night quarantine in hotel. Phoned reception in morning 7am they said result is negative, Scan the QR code and Im free to go.

5 days later I'm in Chiang Mai and its a walk in affair at Lanna hospital. Just over 1 hour wait, including a lot of paperwork to fill, then the 2nd PCR test was very painfuly done both sides of throat and both nostrils pushed so far up that it made my nose bleed.  The nurse (volunteer?) Was shocked but still kept the swab which by now was covered in blood.

2 days later I got email to say result wad DETECTED ,I phoned hospital to confirm it was positive. This is where the 'fun' starts ...

In short, 14 hours of phone calls and emails yesterday to the hospital. They told me I have to isolate in my hotel, cancel my travel plans, cancel my next hotel, cancel appointments I'd planned for 3 years, which I duly did.

They can not tell me how long I'm required to isolate.  Basicslly they are only intetested in contacting my insurer.  They then tell me that my insurer doesn't  have 'a deal' with their hospital, so I have to pay 100,000 to 200,000 for quarantine.

When I tell them I cant afford that, the communication stops.

So I took a test myself (negative) this is 3 days after their 2nd PCR and sent them a photo.  I will do the same on days 4 and 5.  

So my plan is 5 days isolation in my current hotel with 3 negative lateral flow tests then I'm outa here unless they resume communication to say otherwise.

I AM DOUBLE VACCINATED, ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG I HAVE TO SELF ISOLATE ETC AFTER A POSITIVE TEST IN THAILAND??  Help!!

Edited by Never Been Abroad
Spelling and grammar corrected
  • Sad 2

lucky they have allowed you to self-isolate at some random hotel.

For what they wanted to charge you 100-200k?

Obligatory is 10 days hospital/hospitel, even if asymptomatic. Might let you go for self-isolation after the PCR on day 7th. Entirely to doctor, based on symptoms, age, underlying and how much they are overstretched.

Your ATK/lateral don't count.

You have to do PCR, but they don't accept it also - your 10 days self-isolation or quarantine runs from the first positive test. Again, if you keep in touch with them and completely asymptomatic (has to be confirmed by at least health volunteer checking daily on your symptoms), they might let you go earlier.

Keep in touch with them to get recovery certificate. Would allow you domestic and international travel for a minimum 90 days, even if positive.

Edited by internationalism

I arrived Jan 9 after getting the ThaiPass in early Dec. Amber Hotel Pattaya. Got to BKK Airport at about 10 pm (from ICN) and got through the check points (ThaiPass mainly, I think they looked at my Vax cards). Insurance.. - At the hotel at 2 am they had a testing station so we tested. Results came back about 11 am next day. Nice. I did the day 5 test at Nong Rang out in Issan, had to test one day and go back the next. 

Upon leaving we had and ATK RT to get back into the US. We did this at the Holistic Health Center in Naklua. Good deal there, 450 bht each. Korean Air approved us to go. 

We got lucky by getting our TP approved not long before the ban. But they kept their word, we were Grandpa'ed in. 

On 1/22/2022 at 11:32 AM, KhaoYai said:

Nang Rong?

Nong Rang or Nang Rong, you ask.

There seems to be a village (Ban) Nong Rang in subdistrict (Tambon) Chae in Khon Buri District (Amphoe) in Nakhon Ratchasima Province on Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ban+Nong+Rang/@14.5471315,102.2961396,1884m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x311be5a12dc618ab:0xc84f63c40f73f492!8m2!3d14.5475622!4d102.3021904

There does not seem to be a place called Nang Rong in Thailand on Google Maps.

6 hours ago, Puccini said:

There does not seem to be a place called Nang Rong in Thailand on Google Maps.

I know Isaan pretty well. Nang Rong is on highway 24, about 30km South West of Buriram. The postcode is 31110 and it is indeed on Google Maps.

Its not a massive place but it does have a hospital.

I have never heard of Nong Rang but don't doubt it exists. I do however, doubt that the village you suggest has a Covid testing facility. I suspect Tango777 actually means Nang Rong.

lucky they have allowed you to some random hotel.

They have not given me any clear instruction on self quarantine or relocation, this is the problem.

For what they wanted to charge you 100-200k?

yes, they quoted 100,000 -200,000 depending 

Obligatory is 10 days hospital/hospitel, even if asymptomatic.

That's what I heard, but things change I guess/I hope.

Might let you go for self-isolation after the PCR on day 7th. Entirely to doctor, based on symptoms, age, underlying and how much they are overstretched.

I wish I was communicating with a doctor but my cummunication (which is now one way) has been with Lanna hospital public relations dept.

Your ATK/lateral don't count.

LOL, did these mickey mouse tests ever count?  Unfortunately It is the only tests I have access to, so I have to do something.

You have to do PCR, but they don't accept it also

Seems very extreme and unfair to not accept PCR

- your 10 days self-isolation or quarantine runs from the first positive test.

Okay, another 3 days of the hotel staff going to 7 Eleven for water and fruit and snacks.

Again, if you keep in touch with them and completely asymptomatic (has to be confirmed by at least health volunteer checking daily on your symptoms), they might let you go earlier.

Does the cleaner count as a health volunteer?  I find it strange and exasperating that the hospital can't even tell me this basic information. 

Keep in touch with them to get recovery certificate. Would allow you domestic and international travel for a minimum 90 days, even if positive.

The holy grail.  A 'recovery certificate' would certainly ease my anxiety.

So today is Monday, I'm holding onto the slim possibility that someone will be in their office and respond to my emails. 

While I'm very grateful for your reply, I'm stuck in the same place, in a small room with no windows, while time ticks away on my 4 weeks in Thailand.

Probably irrelevant and hard to prove, but I feel the blood covered swab caused a false positive.  

Unlike the 2 guys whos mugshots appeared on the news, I haven't  A.run away from hospital, or B. agreed to pay any moneys, so I honestly think that's why they are ignoring me.

As a previous poster said, it seems the morchana App is not really being checked.  Even at the airport on arrival nobody scanned the QR code of my Thailand pass, at best they had a quick eyeball to see if the name matched the passport. 

If I left my hotel right now, nobody would be any the wiser, and in my view nobody would be at any risk.  I am negative.

My concern now, is, am I breaking any laws if I do so, and would I emcounter any problems with immigration when I leave the country?  With 100s of thousands of tourists and more coming every day, how can this system be policed, even by volunteers? 

if no direct communication with hospital, ask receptionist for help to go to hospital before/after work (pay a few hundred baht) with any documents, letters, even your dated atk tests, copy of your passport. They should give back some feedback how long you suppose to be at hotel. Possibly written. 

there suppose to be health volunteer checking daily your temperature and symptoms, bringing medicines and food. At least you should be able to communicate with them by line with your symptoms.

don't leave hotel before day 10th.

On that day go to hospital personally, if nothing clear before that.

Don't move before - they might run police search on you, later issue arrest warrant. You won't be able to leave country with a warrant 

Even though I believe that no-one checks and the second test is simply a box ticking exercise, I decided that I didn't want the slightest chance of any problem when I visit Thailand again.  I have now obtained my Day 7 PCR test result and decided to upload it.

To recap: Although the Morchana App is telling me I have notifications (now 24) when I visited the notifications page whilst I was in Thailand, there was nothing there - I only got the notifications when I returned to the UK.  So, now armed with the PCR result and a notifications page rammed with notifications, I proceeded to upload my result.

Firstly (using my phone), when I clicked on the link, I just got a blank page - here we go again. I then entered the unique URL on my laptop and hey presto, there I was with a request to enter details.  I was asked to enter a Lab number - no Lab number on my result so I just entered the hospital number - probably the same.  I was then asked for my 'release date' - so it was a prison ????.  I have no idea what they mean do I just entered the test date and uploaded the result.

Hey presto, I have now moved from 'Medium Risk' to 'Very Low Risk' on Morchana.  So at least one part of the system works.

I'd love to know which cut price outfit, uni student or someone's brother in law, handles the Thai government's IT but they are bloody useless.  The only site that seems to work reasonably well, providing you have a QR code, is Thailand Pass. I know some have had problems but I've done a few now and each one (with a QR) was approved within seconds.

Edited by KhaoYai

20 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I know Isaan pretty well. Nang Rong is on highway 24, about 30km South West of Buriram. The postcode is 31110 and it is indeed on Google Maps.

Its not a massive place but it does have a hospital.

Thank you. There it is, indeed, Nang Rong district in Buriram province. I am upset that I was unable to find it.

OK so it is my understanding that if My Test and Go was approved prior to the Dec 22 suspension that I DO NOT have to book a second SHA+ hotel for night 5?  I will be given a list of hospitals to conduct my day 5/6 second test.? Flying in Feb 5th but received my QR code in mid Novmber