Omicron Variant Now Causing COVID Infections in All Provinces of Thailand

webfact

'Infections' are just that whilst 'cases' is those testing positive. That's why 'cases' are low - there's not much testing. Many will carry the symptoms rather than get tested.

The numbers 'In treatment' seem to be going up by a few hundred daily, offset by those recovering - that's Hospital, Hospitel and Field.

83K In treatment atm.

Edited by TorquayFan
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

With almost 70% of the Thai population fully vaccinated, stop the worry and just keep on vaccing!

Everyone that is vulnerable should get a vaccine, and of course the government should provide them for free to all.  But enough mandates.  It's Omicron and we all know the deal.  

20 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Yes indeed. It will be a sharp awakening for both the government and the population. While the Omicron variant, now an A & B version, is said to have less effects than Delta, for vulnerable people it can still be serious if not treated quickly.

A 50 year old fit and healthy friend of mine in the UK, while he followed all the Vaxxes and took extra care, still caught the infection. He said he suffered extreme tiredness for several days that needed bed rest most of the time. Whatever long effects that may arise, he doesn't know.

While not life threatening for him right now, be very wary that's it's not necessarily an easy ride back to full health.  

You have, in part, nailed the problem.  It's got a fairly high rate of breakthrough infections and with unvaccinated people, it is capable of hitting them quite hard.   Most of the people I know who have gotten it so far have had 5 days of being quite sick.   

The problem, of course, is that if you have huge numbers infected, then you will get a certain percent who will require medical attention and hospitalization and that stresses the health care system.   

The other problem, here in the US, is so many people are out sick it is exacerbating the supply chain problems right down to the local level.  We have stores that have had to close because they do not have enough employees to even make a remedial effort to function.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tomyami said:

let it rip the sooner its through life can resume take about 3 weeks my country open at 6am 22/01  inc night clubs. masks for another couple of weeks some people still nevious but hosp & deaths stopped so it ended CMO said "no medical reason for any more restrictions"

Next week the headless chickens will do some flips and flops sure, i think mid feb they will cop on.

I plan end of feb with maybe 72 hour test and fully vaxed will do the trick or might be normal

72 hour test & fully vaxed ? I agree but my only concern are fake certs . Fake vaccination certs are that authentic looking , they are even registered within the UK NHS data system and the 72 hour pre-flight pcr test cert is easily faked , apparently . I do not know the easy fix , however there has just been an announcement in the UK that a wonder pill , that can defeat both the flu and covid strains , has been developed which may nullify the dangers of covid and enable a return to some sort of normality .

5 hours ago, Petey11 said:

Should be no problem keeping it below 10K cases a day with the limited testing they do.

So, if I read right, 1400 international travelers ( tourists?) were tested between the 11 th and 17 th of Jan, and 90:% of these were Omicron. ??? Those aren’t the figures I’ve seen published , or am I reading wrong ? 

7 hours ago, riverhigh said:

I am so bored with the situation. Why bother trying to control a virus that is uncontrollable. In my opinion governemnts around the world should let Omicron do it's thing and let us get on with our lives. Many of the people who land up in hospital have only themselves to blame for making bad life choices. Overeating, too much sugar in their diets (diabetes), drinking excessive alcohol, drugs, etc, Their poblem not mine.  There is a small minority that have been dealt some bad cards in life but that should not mean the vast majority of healthy people being locked up. As to elderly group, which I belong to, I do not feel they have the right to deny the young people their youth. Elderly people have to accept that they are nearing the end of their life lease and stop making demands on healthy young people.

Best bit of good sense I've ever read here. I had to check that I hadn't posted that myself. If I had the good fortune to know you, I'd buy you a drink. 

9 hours ago, arithai12 said:

It doesn't matter much if they test few or many, what matters is the fraction of infections.

If the number of tests is more or less constant, then the infections not rising is good.

In fact, I would argue that even the fraction of infections doesn't matter, what should matter is how many need serious medical care.

And the fractions of infections is based on ???????????? the number of people tested.

Why are so few people tested ???????????? got to keep the figures below 10k could well be an answer.

They have now admitted that Covid is in every province so if they divide the total population by the number of tests then use that number and multiply the positive cases it would give a fair indication of the situation, but their calculator still seems to have a problem with the display showing the correct amount of zeros.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dialemco said:

It looks  lije there is far more Omicron infections in Thailand than reported  as it is so infectous nearly everyone will be infected from local transmissions thus restrictions on incoming foreigners no longer necessary if they have negative  PCR within 72 hours before entering Thailand. 

Absolutely. How many construction workers for example have mild Covid symptoms but still go to work and how many of those don't report that they have Covid for fear of being told to stay at home for 5+ days with no pay.