Prawit demands action on zebra crossing and traffic law enforcement in Thailand following death of doctor

webfact

Just to echo other comments, it takes a Doctor being killed to spur them into action! Zebra crossings are a nightmare here. 90% of those who actually let people cross at them are usually farangs. The shocked looks I get off Thais when I stop to let them cross would amaze you! I'll believe this clampdown when it happens as I've heard it all before. 

6 minutes ago, Xonax said:

In congested Bangkok traffic, you most often don't notice the pedestrian crossing, before it is too late to hit the brakes.

Screenshot 2022-01-25 063325.png

Yes some of the crossings are faded, but you should see a pedestrian waiting to cross. Don't just look at the vehicle in front of you. Look way ahead to be prepared. Like a Boy Scout?????

• Confused 1

As  the late Bernard Trink    stated in his column,   Thais   are puzzled about those things called "zebra"  crossings on  roadways.   All Thais know there are no zebras in Thailand,   so why bother stopping.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gandtee said:

Yes some of the crossings are faded, but you should see a pedestrian waiting to cross. Don't just look at the vehicle in front of you. Look way ahead to be prepared. Like a Boy Scout?????

I drove a cab in London for over 10 years, and believe me, pedestrian crossings really require you to look way up the street repeatedly. Your eyes get trained to pick out the orange beacons, but a lot now don't have them. It means driving with the utmost caution at all times, which, of course, is the only way. Plus, foreign pedestrians will step out looking in the opposite direction. First rule SLOW BLOODY DOWN!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I always stop for pedestrians on the zebra crossings and red traffic light crossings but it's dangerous, I always pull to the left and look in my mirrors because very few drivers stop. 

Makes me a little anxious, worried if I'm going to get hit from behind 

Been there done that, when I first started driving in Thailand I got rearended while stopped at a pedestrian crossing. I ended up paying for the whole lot. If they really want to fix the problem they should put up proper lights, that way you dont have people unexpectedly flying out into the middle of the road...

49 minutes ago, itsari said:

It is not an offense to not stop . Thailand has a rule that the pedestrian must wait until the way is clear 

31 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Nope, the law has been changed 

New rules, you must stop 

I know that the UK law has changed this year. (Most pedestrians in the UK never understood that one.)

Is that also true in Thailand?

Nothing will ever change in Thailand.

On a crossing in Korat where many accidents was happening, the government installed several cameras to watch the crossing.
A week later, all the camera wires were hanging lose in the air.
Destroyed by some people who saw their income het lost.

The answer to the traffic problem in Thailand will come after 2024 when electric vehicles will make a big part of the vehicles on the road.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

In most civilised countries a zebra crossing is referred to as a pavement crossing the road, and the police are quick to fine anyone who does not stop or allow pedestrians to cross.

Civilized being the operative word. Thailand is far from that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

If they had a Highway Code it might be a start.

they do, I was given one (in Thai) to study when I went for my previous renewal, I said don't read Thai the DLT official came back 2 minutes later with one in English. This last renewal was a 1-hour on-line app/video in English during which I had to answer questions.

• Like 1

Trying to cross the road using a Zebra crossing in Patong is similar to running across the starting grid at the Monaco grand prix there is zero chance of anyone stopping , in fact I have noticed that most drivers just speed up 

Edited by Brick Top
Spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

First cars parking near the crossings would have to be stopped, crossing lights would really need to be installed to give a signal to motorists people are waiting to cross, not easy to see many poorly painted road marked crossings. 

Also yes stopping for a pedestrian at the moment when the driver behind cannot see the road markings is a definate invitation to be rear ended.

Upping the fines alone is not enough!!

You think lights will make them stop!! Dream on

Great way to solve a national problem "MORE TALK and MEETINGS ." Then no action.

Employ some highly trained foriegn police officers to run the police academies and don't let them graduate till they are police officers not an idiot who buys a job and then spends all his time getting his money back plus some.

• Like 1

The problem about a deeply corrupted society, is that you need to completely change the mindset of the majority of people, which takes generations.

The PM can demand all he wants. Will not change the thinking of either police or the drivers. So good luck!

• Like 2