Prawit demands action on zebra crossing and traffic law enforcement in Thailand following death of doctor

webfact

5 hours ago, 473geo said:

First cars parking near the crossings would have to be stopped, crossing lights would really need to be installed to give a signal to motorists people are waiting to cross, not easy to see many poorly painted road marked crossings. 

Also yes stopping for a pedestrian at the moment when the driver behind cannot see the road markings is a definate invitation to be rear ended.

Upping the fines alone is not enough!!

When there is no enforcement it does not matter what the fine or penalty is. The laws are already there enforce them!

2 hours ago, tandor said:

..RIP to this woman and all others who have been struck on pedestrian crossings; however it would help a great deal if all crossings were -

a)  Maintained regularly, ie road paint,

b)  Flashing signals,

c)  Signage and road markings so as approaching vehicles are alerted,

d)  Keeping the approach and departure sides of the crossing clear of any parked vehicles,

e)  Crossing attendants where applicable.

Good points Tandor, and I would add to that; "education", because no Thai I have ever spoken to here actually realises what these pedestrian crossing marks are for, nor have I seen them in the car or motorbike tests I have taken.

There is no education, or at least no meaningful education, as to the rules of the road here, sensible driving, when to/not to overtake and many more which would take pages to explain.

Thai society and drivers are setting themselves up to fail and become potential killers.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Such violations have been recommended by a committee to be increased to 4,000 baht and are expected to be announced in March and implimented in July. 

How many more will die by then. Complete clowns.

5 hours ago, big dendrobenaes said:

it is a PEDESTRIAN CROSSING.....nothing to do with a pavement.......

Big dendrobias I think you are being silly. Geoffggi effectively said that IN SOME COUNTRIES pedestrian crossings are referred to as pavement crossings (or crosswalks in the USA). You (and I)  perhaps know them as pedestrian crossings but people from other countries would not recognise the term 'pedestrian crossing' and its function.

6 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

In most civilised countries a zebra crossing is referred to as a pavement crossing the road, and the police are quick to fine anyone who does not stop or allow pedestrians to cross.

n crossing'

52 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I’m confused why the RTP haven’t contended on yet. It’s got to be worth at least 50,000B an hour. 

Same. It's such easy money. All I can assume is either they are too dim to work it out or it just takes too much energy for what must be the most unfit (and often obese) police force in the world.

Road safety in Thailand is virtually non existent, to survive you need to be completely mindful of that.

People in power giving lip service to the public is however very much the norm here.

It's a complete disgrace and the Police are only the foot soldiers of those that are really to blame.

The RTP are controlled by the Military and we all know who is in charge of the Thai Military.

11 minutes ago, dutchweller said:

Well me crossing a zebra crossing while a green walk light and a red no turn signal did not help me the Thai guy ran over my foot and broke my toe.

Police were more concerned that I might have damaged the "red plate" car when I slammed my hand down on his side panel when screaming in pain.

I was expected to pay for "damage" 

The Driver and the police could give stuff the driver rand a red and struck a pedestrian on a Zebra.

The driver even made the excuse that he thought green walking man light ment he was allowed to drive over the Zebra.

This is the la k of care, training, honesty that Is dragging this place down.

It will always be a Developing 2nd tier..

Screenshot_20220125-174719_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20220125-174731_Photos.jpg

Dude, you got to be more careful, accidents happen everywhere. 

Try being more focused when out and about, never let your guard down. 

6 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

In most civilised countries a zebra crossing is referred to as a pavement crossing the road, and the police are quick to fine anyone who does not stop or allow pedestrians to cross.

zebra crossings do work in Thailand.
Yes in other countries they have Pedestrian crossings where pedestrians should be safe.
In Thailand they have zebra crossings. They do work. Have you ewer seen a zebra hit by a car, while crossing a zebra crossing ???????????

• Haha 2

They might be more costly, and maybe more problematic access wise, but I don't think there is a single pedestrian bridge in Pattaya. Not even over Sukhumvit. A ramp would allow access to just about everybody. Ok, they wouldn't look too good on Beach Rd, but on 2, 3 and Nua, Klang and Tai? No need to police them either. And extra space for street vendors!

44 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Most westerners who come to Thailand thinking that people will stop at Zebra crossing is in for a rude shock.

Not just Thailand, in fact, almost all countries in East Asia except Japan but Japan has an efficient train system.

Singapore and Hong Kong both manage it. 

• Thanks 1

A post has been removed:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules will result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Well, the Thai authorities are now going to "discuss" the issue!

I wonder what there is to discuss? Carry on as now and ignore any enforcement -- or to enforce by legislation the security of pedestrians on zebra crossings and prosecute all drivers that do not stop?

Of course, any "enforcement" has to be "enforced" by the RTP!

Everyone is missing the point.

This  is a corrupt, morally bankrupt country where life is cheap and no one gives a damn about anyone other than themselves.

My friend was recently hit by a driver who did not stop - no police investigation.

Parents don’t seem to care that their kids are out in the early hours with the family motorcycle.

Children ride a motorcycle to school - the teachers don’t say a word.

500 baht to the cops absolved you of all crime.

Drinking and driving is rife.

The equivalent population of a small town is slaughtered on the roads every year.

No one cares.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Dude, you got to be more careful, accidents happen everywhere. 

Try being more focused when out and about, never let your guard down. 

The guy Literally Sped up at a red NO TURN Light while we were following the flow of PEDESTRIANS on a Marked crosswalk
Meaning I was walking with  a group of people in front of me and this guy came out of a red light turning right. 
I was very carful  but there are some things you don't expect.
The guy clearly had no idea or was just indifferent to any road rules or actually wanted to maim or kill someone.. that's just normal here.
Accidents are unexpected This guy literally barged his car through a group of people thinking he had rite of way THATS NOT AN ACCIDENT! 

Bit like the Ahole that mounted a Footpath and killed people who were waiting at the bus stop?

Edited by dutchweller
  • Like 2