Prawit demands action on zebra crossing and traffic law enforcement in Thailand following death of doctor

webfact

15 minutes ago, leither69 said:

You think lights will make them stop!! Dream on

Sure will make it easier to slap offenders with a fine, they will learn to stop! Right now I fail to notice zebra crossings, there can be a lot going on around you in Thai traffic, which is why I advocate lights crossings need to be clearly visible.

This is what this type of government does talk about their concerns to show they care they only react when something bad happens. 

Get tough at meeting about what there  isn't one Thai if there is they can't speak up or do anything about it everyone comes from the same system reason no Thai is able to come up with anything to fix or reduce problem. 

The problem is clearly look in the mirror put it in the hands of a outsider with full emergency power to put everything under one system that is applied consistent throughout Thailand anyone refusing or tries to circumvent the new system is removed and that means anyone! 

Can't be fixed by a Thai!  Period! 

• Like 1

Thai police needs to enforce a "broken windows" policy regarding rules of circulation.

Crackdown mercilessly on:

- driving on the wrong side of the street

- red lights

- right of way, including pedestrian's

- reckless driving not including speeding

- driving without a permit

- compulsory class 1 insurance for all motorized vehicles

- double parking

- no "loose" passengers in the back of a pickup on main roads and highways

- failing to indicate a turn

- crossing more than 1 lane to make a turn

- crossing continuous lines on main roads

- illegal overtaking

- safety distances

I don't include speeding, because including that would just have the effect of lazy policing, i.e. speed checks on highways, where the risk of accident is the lowest.

General traffic safety would be best served if they concentrated on all of the above, in effect teaching people to behave on the roads, instead of occasionally lynching someone when something goes wrong.

It does not matter if people can pay their way out of the problem.
Just make the payment a serious inconvenience so that they will at least try to not let it happen again.

They should introduce a program where citizens can send in dashcam videos if they catch particularly bad cases of some of the offences above.

Give the uploaders 250 baht for a successful report of an actual serious offence.

Edited by tgw

Every time I try to use the zebra crossing in front of the Holiday Inn on Beach Road in Pattaya City No One (ZERO) will stop for the red light! ????????????. I usually will bang the side of the car as it goes by and hope they pull over so I can wack them! ????????????????

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I always stop for pedestrians on the zebra crossings and red traffic light crossings but it's dangerous, I always pull to the left and look in my mirrors because very few drivers stop. 

Makes me a little anxious, worried if I'm going to get hit from behind 

It might also tempt some poor sod pedestrian to cross and get wiped out by the idiot who overtakes you while flipping you the bird ...

4 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

Every time I try to use the zebra crossing in front of the Holiday Inn on Beach Road in Pattaya City No One (ZERO) will stop for the red light! ????????????. I usually will bang the side of the car as it goes by and hope they pull over so I can wack them! ????????????????

good plan if you want to catch a bullet or a machete from clueless Thai drivers believing you want to challenge them on their territory and possibly in front of their wife or mistress...

Edited by tgw

First you have to teach a very large amount of people who get behind the wheel or handle bars . about road Rules and how to approach roundabouts and pedestrian  crossings. undertaking and overtaking . after 21 years of driving here nothing changes only for the worst.    

• Thanks 1

All this fuss is surely only because she was a doctor. Many others die under equally criminal circumstances.

And this cop is the first I've ever heard of being charged with not stopping at a zebra crossing. Let's see what his penalty is. Though he's only an NCO - they tend to get hit a bit harder than the officer class.

3 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

so it only matters when a doctor is killed?. What about all the other thousands of people that are killed on the roads every year, why not take action then? 

Regrettably yes because the doctor is high Society n her parents are also reputable doctors… so they will act … sad n true ..that it a class structure in Thailand 

3 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

so it only matters when a doctor is killed?. What about all the other thousands of people that are killed on the roads every year, why not take action then? 

No, has to be young and pretty also! Mrs never stops gives the old scared the car behind will run into us defense. She was amazed in NZ when cars pull up well before you even step onto the crossing

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

DPM Prawit Wongsuwon was getting tough

Until the worth of a human being will be just a few thousand Baht and a couple of ways, Somchai can continue to kill undisturbed and  Thailand will not fix the problem of the butchery on the roads

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Makes me a little anxious, worried if I'm going to get hit from behind 

I’m even more anxious about the car behind overtaking me and hitting the pedestrian. Almost happened to me once, the pedestrian luckily seen the car and quickly jumped out the way, the overtaking car jammed on the breaks and started to scream at me as if I was in the wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 473geo said:

First cars parking near the crossings would have to be stopped, crossing lights would really need to be installed to give a signal to motorists people are waiting to cross, not easy to see many poorly painted road marked crossings. 

Also yes stopping for a pedestrian at the moment when the driver behind cannot see the road markings is a definate invitation to be rear ended.

Upping the fines alone is not enough!!

They spent 120 million plus in Pattaya on Beach row, second road years back lights all the bells and whistle including paint guards the first two weeks today it is safer to J Walk as they call it but the pigeon love it.  Drivers world wide like everything education enforcement includes enough penalty so it puts enough doubt into an individual to cause Doubt not to do it again. 

First and foremost the police responsibility must change to know the rules themselves then enforce it this nonsense of " this is Thailand " has to stop people are dying they aren't doing any favors to Thai the results they are dying. 

I have to admit I do not always stop on my motorbike.  I am well aware of most of the crossings but if a person is just entering it, or out of my way almost finishing their crossing, I go thru not obstructing their path.  Only for one reason that if I stop, a good chance someone in a car behind me will not and I am dead.  

Edited by bkk6060

"

You think lights will make them stop!! Dream on" 

There are lights outside the Big C Extra store in Pattaya, right next to a police box. Living nearby I often see traffic just drive through red lights, including big coaches. Never seen anyone get booked for it. It's just a part of that Thai Culture we hear so much about. 

Oh, and many helmet less riders stopped outside the box with no action taken. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

"

You think lights will make them stop!! Dream on" 

There are lights outside the Big C Extra store in Pattaya, right next to a police box. Living nearby I often see traffic just drive through red lights, including big coaches. Never seen anyone get booked for it. It's just a part of that Thai Culture we hear so much about. 

Oh, and many helmet less riders stopped outside the box with no action taken. 

I think we have managed to ascertain lights are only part of the solution ????

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Now the media reported on comments made by spokesman Pol Maj-Gen Yingyot Themjamnong yesterday who said that DPM Prawit Wongsuwon was getting tough.

Coming from a man who has not navigated a zebra crossing on foot in decades..

Maybe he'd like to come to my neck-of -the -woods and see how he gets on crossing the road on  a zebra crossing, without the chaperones.

3 hours ago, itsari said:

I am more worried about a car going around me and running over the person i have stopped for at a pedestrian crossing  . I seldom stop anymore .

I know your point, I stopped the other day for a pedestrian who stared to cross, I was undertook and over took by motorcycles who then ran circles around the person on the crossing who stood still.

No consideration what so ever.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Years ago (early 2000s)i was ops manager for adventure travel company in Bangkok

my opposite  in another company took over on this Monday i knew him well great guy had worked with him in Egypt.

2 of his pax arrived 6.00am checked into hotel tried to use crossing at 9.30 both killed instantly on Lan Luang

One of those days you remember vividly whichever company you worked for it was a bad day for us all

Edited by poohy