Prawit demands action on zebra crossing and traffic law enforcement in Thailand following death of doctor

webfact

10 hours ago, meechai said:

Yeah what ever..........Start with the fact the poor doctor was killed by a Cop who then left the scene without so much as a sorry

I haven't really caught all the news reports on this topic....

So, what if anything has been reported about what's become of the cop who (allegedly?) hit and killed this lady doctor?

Suspended, arrested, given another medal for his uniform???  ????

Seems a bit odd that there's zero mention of what's become of the cop in the OP report.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

typical of the authorities scurrying to act because the death involved a doctor and one of the police's own.

Thai watchers will follow the fallout with interest but few will be holding their breath that real change will result.

More lip service, dithering and inaction and eventually sweeping the issue under the carpet are far more likely if past form is anything to go by.

This reporter knows what's up, good on him for calling it out. Thailand authority doesn't care about the regulars, just look at their past records. The fewer regulars the better.

37 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I haven't really caught all the news reports on this topic....

So, what if anything has been reported about what's become of the cop who (allegedly?) hit and killed this lady doctor?

Suspended, arrested, given another medal for his uniform???  ????

Seems a bit odd that there's zero mention of what's become of the cop in the OP report.

He became a monk to make merit for her death. Seriously.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gandtee said:

The problem is that when you stop, the pedestrian thinks it's safe to cross, then some a******e doesn't stop and runs them down. I'm very wary and aware when stopping for pedestrians as I don't want to put them in danger.

Yes.  But if the numerous cops 'serving their time' in inacive posts were ordered to spend their shifts walking across pedestrian crossings there might be more police interest in enforcing the law and improving driving habits.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Singapore and Hong Kong both manage it. 

Zebra crossings with no traffic lights is not the same as Zebra with traffic lights.

In Spore, most Zebra crossings have traffic lights because it is a densely-populated small island. Not sure about HK, but I would imagine the same because it is also densely-populated small island.

In Thailand, most zebra crossings are without traffic lights and it's not compulsory for people to stop.

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, EricTh said:

In Thailand, most zebra crossings are without traffic lights and it's not compulsory for people to stop.

I expect that it's the same as in other countries I know: it is not compulsory if someone intends to cross, but if a pedestrian is already crossing (like the case of the unfortunate lady) then you must stop. But this is academic. The reality is that there is no pro-active enforcement of any rule, starting with the speed limit, only the punishment after the accident.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 473geo said:

First cars parking near the crossings would have to be stopped, crossing lights would really need to be installed to give a signal to motorists people are waiting to cross, not easy to see many poorly painted road marked crossings. 

Also yes stopping for a pedestrian at the moment when the driver behind cannot see the road markings is a definate invitation to be rear ended.

Upping the fines alone is not enough!!

And the lights that are installed need to work 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

Zebra crossings with no traffic lights is not the same as Zebra with traffic lights.

In Spore, most Zebra crossings have traffic lights because it is a densely-populated small island. Not sure about HK, but I would imagine the same because it is also densely-populated small island.

People including the cops don't stop at the red lights at cross walks 

15 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

so it only matters when a doctor is killed?. What about all the other thousands of people that are killed on the roads every year, why not take action then? 

I only cross zebra crossings when a number of people gather and all go at once, otherwise you will have to wait for an all clear road as traffic totally ignores zebra crossings totally, never have I seen it any different, I think most drivers don't know what they are. 

This has been a thorn in my thigh for more years than i can remember, nobody cares , you put your life in danger every time you cross on a Zebra crossing,it takes strong laws and heavy fines,maybe 10 K baht, it also has to be embraced by Thai society completely. It can work,it does here in Australia and many other countries that are 'Civilised' in there driving laws.However it takes everybody to get behind it.

17 hours ago, itsari said:

Hollow words from previous statements on traffic laws in Thailand . 

Let us hope that something will be done this time around .

I would say they have to enforce prison sentences in addition to fines and loss of licence points.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

"Big Pom" - as he is known - was commenting in his capacity as the head of a committee meant to reduce traffic accidents.

Well he's certainly got enough "sleeping policemen" in the ranks, maybe he could get them strategically placed out on the road?

3 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Then leave enough space between you and the vehicle in front to see the road surface - and stop!

That won't last in Bangkok traffic.... they don't leave enough room for a cyclist to wear elbow pads. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I always stop for pedestrians on the zebra crossings and red traffic light crossings but it's dangerous, I always pull to the left and look in my mirrors because very few drivers stop. 

Makes me a little anxious, worried if I'm going to get hit from behind 

I think it is more dangerous doing that, just like roundabouts, if we follow what we practice in the West it just confuses the locals here. They do not know what you are doing.

20 hours ago, meechai said:

Yeah what ever..........Start with the fact the poor doctor was killed by a Cop who then left the scene without so much as a sorry

Anarchy is way over due & would be a vast improvement over this ruling class of swine

By the way, how does a mere cop able to afford a rather expensive Italian superbike like a Ducati?

Hitting a cow in India is a far worse offense than killing a pedestrian here in a zebra crossing. It is not uncommon that a mob lynching follows the injury or death of a holy cow...