Prawit demands action on zebra crossing and traffic law enforcement in Thailand following death of doctor

webfact

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT,
B.E. 2522 (1979).

Section 70. The driver who drives a conveyance reaching a junction, pedestrian crossing, stopping line, or roundabout must slow down.

Section 4 (13) “Safety zone” means an area on the road having the sign apparently viable all the time provided for a pedestrian to stop for crossing the road,
or for a person stepping up or down a vehicle to stop for crossing the road;

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Why are you just repeating what the article says? 

Because they only bother taking action when it's someone high up in society that is effected,injured or killed. (In this case a Doctor)  Yet, there have been thousands  upon thousands of people needlessly dying on the roads in this country each & every year due to poor driving and a lack of law enforcement, but that never seemed to matter! What part of that do you not understand? 

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaopad999 said:

Because they only bother taking action when it's someone high up in society that is effected,injured or killed. (In this case a Doctor)  Yet, there have been thousands  upon thousands of people needlessly dying on the roads in this country each & every year due to poor driving and a lack of law enforcement, but that never seemed to matter! What part of that do you not understand? 

The article made precisely that point, it was pointless just to repeat it. What part of that do you not understand?

On 1/27/2022 at 12:00 PM, berrec said:

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT,
B.E. 2522 (1979).

Section 70. The driver who drives a conveyance reaching a junction, pedestrian crossing, stopping line, or roundabout must slow down.

Section 4 (13) “Safety zone” means an area on the road having the sign apparently viable all the time provided for a pedestrian to stop for crossing the road,
or for a person stepping up or down a vehicle to stop for crossing the road;

Must slow down ??........  But i did officer ...... i slowed from 95mph to 80 mph

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 8:47 AM, actonion said:

For any foreigner who holds a driving licence from thier country  to fail a Thai driving test  i would condider it an insult,,.... to be told you failed from an examiner who  probably  doesnt  know half the rules of the highway code +++

There is a thai highway code......they just are not given it to study......and if they did STUDY......they would still NOT understand !!!!

Just sitting eating lunch in front of 7-11 at this crossing and the stop light was activated. An elderly farang was trying to cross and no vehicles were stopping even though the light was red for traffic. He was shouting at them. After a few minutes I activated the light and not a single vehicle stopped. Never trust a motorist here. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 7:20 AM, 473geo said:

Sure will make it easier to slap offenders with a fine, they will learn to stop! Right now I fail to notice zebra crossings, there can be a lot going on around you in Thai traffic, which is why I advocate lights crossings need to be clearly visible.

???? Buffoon. I assume your on holiday on Thailand!!

3 hours ago, leither69 said:

???? Buffoon. I assume your on holiday on Thailand!!

You are of course welcome to your opinion, honesty can beget such feeble  comments.

Zebra crossings as stated by many in the thread are poorly marked, faded, no above road level signage, in some cases very poorly positioned, yes I occasionally  roll over crossings# on occasion before I see them, let alone check either side to see if there are people behind parked cars waiting to cross. 

Without improvement to clearly identify people are waiting to cross, parking next to crossings stopped to give the motorists a clear view, traffic facing a red light, there are limited options to fine people, even if there was inclination to do so.

Edited by 473geo