Omicron and Natural Immunity

webfact

4aa50f2ca815ebf78ac28111b04e8e2c_small.png

Article by Silada Rojratanakiat

Remember when parents purposely exposed their children to chickenpox to boost immunity? People now try to catch Omicron for the same reason.

After two years of humanity desperately attempting to avoid COVID-19, some in Thailand now feel it is impossible to remain virus-free indefinitely. Omicron is about to become the predominant COVID-19 variant in Thailand. This strain is highly infectious, which means that a large number of people, both vaccinated and unvaccinated, will get infected during this wave. As a result, some people strive to catch Omicron just to get it over with. Because Omicron causes fewer illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths than predecessors like Delta, some believe it functions as a "natural vaccine."

However, Omicron may not be a live virus vaccination.

The COVID-19 patients’ "recovered" status is a sort of immunity to COVID-19. A person is deemed properly immunized if they have recently been infected and recovered. The question is which induces a more robust immune response: a natural infection or a vaccination? While the answer is not straightforward, the short answer is that no one knows. It is largely determined by the variant and the time in which a person tests positive.

Although a milder variant of the COVID-19 virus may have the potential to act as a natural vaccine, there is no prediction or knowledge of how an infection’s impact may differ from person to person. One person may benefit from enhanced immunity, while another may realize that the sickness is more severe than expected. The difference in immune responses after natural infection may be due to the virus level to which the person was exposed.

COVID-19 vaccines, on the other hand, have been shown to work reliably and are significantly safer as they are developed in a clinical setting. The main advantages of vaccines are predictability and safety, and they are designed to elicit a strong immunological response. Each person gets the same dose of the jab, and the medical staff is aware of the amount administered. COVID-19 vaccines have been tested in tens of thousands of individuals with no adverse side effects, but if there are any, they are much less serious than those associated with natural infection.

Do not gamble!

As with prior COVID-19 strains, patients infected with the Omicron variant are less likely to be hospitalized or turn worse than patients in preceding waves. Despite being milder than other variants, Omicron can still be catastrophic for some. A person cannot pick which strain to be infected with, so there is no way to tell whether one has been exposed to the Omicron or the still circulating and more severe Delta.

Another issue is "Long COVID" which refers to symptoms such as weariness, brain fog, difficulty breathing, and others that persist after COVID-19 infection. Even minor infections may result in Long COVID. No one knows if they are going to be one of those who can endure an infection with few long-term consequences.

The impact on vulnerable people is another compelling reason to avoid collecting COVID-19. Anyone infected with COVID-19 may infect others, including those who cannot receive the inoculation for medical reasons, are too young, or are otherwise unprotected. A transmission chain may drastically increase patient numbers, straining an already overworked health care system and labor. Nobody should make the situation worse by hoping to become ill.

Trying to get infected is not a good idea. It is a risk for both fully vaccinated and non-vaccinated people. First, the severity of a COVID-19 infection cannot be predicted. Second, immunizations and boosters already provide good protection. Third, any illness may cause a chain reaction that can be harmful to others. The best course of action is to obtain shots and conduct oneself in a COVID-appropriate manner.

What about herd immunity?

The COVID-19 pandemic’s long-term goal was frequently cited as "herd immunity." When a significant majority of the population is immune, the virus cannot find a host. Omicron, which may speed up endemicity and cut hospitalization and death rates, is said to be a potential game-changer. Then, the world may achieve herd immunity.

Nevertheless, herd immunity is time-sensitive, notably in the case of COVID-19. Antibody protection tends to be only temporary and may not be effective against future variants. Infection with a particular variant may not generate sufficient immunity. Sustained immunity is unlikely if COVID-19 keeps mutating. If a new variant that evades the antibodies emerges, it may be a restart.

Thus, rather than infecting enough people and then creating natural immunity, which is a risky approach, herd immunity should be achieved by vaccination. Omicron may provide a temporary increase in natural immunity at a terrible cost since it is impossible to anticipate who will emerge unscathed from the infection.

Go get a booster.

It is absurd to seek natural immunity when vaccines and boosters are safe and effective. Because natural immunity deteriorates with time, no guarantee taking Omicron will protect against the next unknown variant. It is too early to speculate on the possibility of Omicron as a natural vaccine. In the meantime, go get a booster. As an example, consider the flu shot. It is intended to help mitigate the severe effects on a seasonal basis. That seems to be the situation with COVID-19. Everyone desires that it will become endemic, which is a worthy objective to strive towards.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-01-25

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Someone Else said:

So if boosters are so great why aren't they offered to those who were vaccinated 2X with Pfizer here?

They are.  Several locations are doing boosters right now.  Thai PBS in conjunction with THG is a great example.  Book via QueQ.  Super easy and very well organized.  I got mine Friday.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Someone Else said:

Not for 2X PFE recipients, read more carefully.   

It's basically a poorly researched opinion piece rife with weasel words and statements like "know one knows....".   This thread is about the article, not your unnamed "experts".  Not sure why folks can't finally admit Omicron is mild for just about everyone.  

My point is propaganda efforts like this have no credibility when not backed by action.  This is why some are just resigned to catching the current variant. 

Ummm....just got my booster Friday there.  I've had 2 Pfizer jabs already.  Got both jabs in the US, just over 6 months ago.

Omicron is mild on an individual basis, but over all, far from mild.  Look at the global disruptions it's causing.  Hardly mild.

As you know, we're still figuring out this virus.  And new variants are cropping up that complicates matters.  So makes sense when they admit not everything is known.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FinChin67 said:

I believe I got covid infection but home test shows negative. What is a reliable test to buy that detects omicron / delta? Not planning to go to hospital now…

I think the saliva test is the best right now.  It's better detecting Omicron.

• Thanks 1

This Jan. 14 report from German media outlet DW seems to have a pretty good overview on the various findings related to so-called natural immunity vs vaccines as relates to Omicron. In short, there are mixed and sometimes conflicting findings for now.

Omicron: Is 'natural immunity' better than a vaccine?

As omicron outbreaks take over, many people are asking: Could the immunity you get from a COVID infection be the best protection against the virus, especially as it continues to mutate? We looked at the latest science.

"The omicron wave is so new there is no conclusive data available yet on the quality of immunity provided via infection, but it's likely to be similar to other variants, said Schulze zur Wiesch. That means that if you've been infected with omicron over the past few weeks, you're probably safe from reinfection for the next few months.

But because omicron has a higher transmissibility rate than previous strains, higher levels of antibodies are needed to prevent infection. Immunity gained via only two vaccines or infection to earlier COVID variants (like delta or alpha) won't necessarily prevent omicron infection, he said, adding that regardless of whether you've been previously infected or double-vaccinated, a booster is your best defense against reinfection."

https://www.dw.com/en/omicron-is-natural-immunity-better-than-a-vaccine/a-60425426

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Someone Else said:

This is why folks in this situation consider just intentionally catching Omicron for enhanced immunity and evading detection.

44 minutes ago, Someone Else said:

My point is propaganda efforts like this have no credibility when not backed by action.  This is why some are just resigned to catching the current variant. 

There is a huge difference (IMHO) between intentionally trying to get something and being resigned that it may happen.......

If by being resigned means that you are not going to be a hermit but take basic precautions and still live your life and if you get it so be it then that will be quite a few people.

A world of difference between that view and your original statement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Someone Else said:

It's basically a poorly researched opinion piece rife with weasel words and statements like "know one knows....".   This thread is about the article, not your unnamed "experts".  Not sure why folks can't finally admit Omicron is mild for just about everyone.  

You have made two posts so far with a number of assertions backed up with absolutely ZERO sources of credible information. You then call others who have made posts countering your "argument" with credible sources "propaganda efforts like this have no credibility".

Hypocrite much?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Remember when parents purposely exposed their children to chickenpox to boost immunity?

Indeed, they likely didn't appreciate it later in life when shingles appeared.

Also, like all the other variants that came before, Omicron is likely temporary.

It's already split into two sub groups, the new one of which is spreading faster.

I fully expect it to become someting like a cold, which brings me to the golden question :

H
how many people died of all the other cold viruses (all 200+ of them including the many strains of one of them) every year pre 2019 for say the previous 10 years?

When it finally reaches parity with previous numbers then we have to simply ignore it I guess.

Edited by ukrules

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Ummm....just got my booster Friday there.  I've had 2 Pfizer jabs already.  Got both jabs in the US, just over 6 months ago.

This is about "jabs" in Thailand, not US.  For those who received 2X PFE late summer in THAILAND (not US), we are not offered boosters at this time.  US experience irrelevant.

2 hours ago, JCauto said:

You have made two posts so far with a number of assertions backed up with absolutely ZERO sources of credible information. You then call others who have made posts countering your "argument" with credible sources "propaganda efforts like this have no credibility".

Hypocrite much?

Which assertions(s) are you talking about?

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Now... Plenty folk who are dual vaccinated with Pfizer have received Moderna doses - but they have had to pay for those vaccinations at private hospitals (at a cost of approximately 1650 baht - at MedPark & Bangkok Hospital amongst a few others nationwide). 

And finally...  Thailand does not Jail or hospitalise asymptomatic foreigners. 

People (both Thai and Foreigner) if testing PCR positive are checked for symptoms, if they have no symptoms they are sent home to isolate.

Given your comments, I can see why you may have struggled to secure your booster - You have been listening to gossip and paid attention to more colourful and inflammatory but ultimately flawed information instead of boring facts.

No it's not "gossip".  I've contacted numerous places in Bangkok and none offer boosters for 2X PFE in Thailand, they all say they will provide booster after 6 months.  Even PFE says their vaccine is not adequate against omicron after 3 months.  

In the past month several asymptomatic folks in my building alone have been hospitalized.  That is not "gossip", you are 100% incorrect and it's been covered in many threads here.  Something is not "gossip" or "inflammatory" just because you don't agree.

BTW, I didn't advocate for folks intentionally getting sick, just pointing out the glaring disconnect between the draconian hospitalization policy vs inadequate booster program in Thailand.  It creates a quagmire for those of us who want additional protection from a booster when they are not available, and may need to travel etc.  Thus it's quite specious to offer opinion piece that is filled with endless "maybes" when boosters aren't available to all of those who seek them in the first place.

And BTW, I thought literature like the OP posted is supposed to be supported by credible scientific literature?  The only reference offered in the entire article is from April 2021, about 6 months before Omicron was detected in SA.  This an opinion piece masquerading as valid medical information.  If any of the antivaxers infesting this forum were to post an article with valid citations it would be deleted quickly.

1 hour ago, ebice said:

A recently published CDC MMWR report findings state natural immunity was six times stronger during the delta wave than vaccination. At this point it is too early to assess natural immunity from omicron or BA.2 version.

“Importantly, infection-derived protection was greater after the highly transmissible Delta variant became predominant,” reads the report, “coinciding with early declining of vaccine-induced immunity in many persons.”1

1reference footnotes

They are referencing vaccinated people. And specifically stating getting vaccinated and boosted is the best thing to do. This was before Omicron, and says this:

The findings in this report are subject to at least seven limitations.

Initial infection among unvaccinated persons increases risk for serious illness, hospitalization, long-term sequelae, and death

Primary COVID-19 vaccination, additional doses, and booster doses are recommended by CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices to ensure that all eligible persons are up to date with COVID-19 vaccination, which provides the most robust protection against initial infection, severe illness, hospitalization, long-term sequelae, and death.

5 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Indeed, they likely didn't appreciate it later in life when shingles appeared.

Also, like all the other variants that came before, Omicron is likely temporary.

It's already split into two sub groups, the new one of which is spreading faster.

I fully expect it to become someting like a cold, which brings me to the golden question :

H
how many people died of all the other cold viruses (all 200+ of them including the many strains of one of them) every year pre 2019 for say the previous 10 years?

When it finally reaches parity with previous numbers then we have to simply ignore it I guess.

200k to 600k die every year from the flu. Not sure many die from an ordinary cold?

Luckily, Covid is starting to become endemic. As long as a deadly variant doesn't crop up. Which is entirely possible.

3 minutes ago, Someone Else said:

This is about "jabs" in Thailand, not US.  For those who received 2X PFE late summer in THAILAND (not US), we are not offered boosters at this time.  US experience irrelevant.

(Snip)  

Very few there had gotten jabs in the US. We were one of the few according to them. They kinda pushed back a bit because of that, but eventually let us get the booster. Ok?

50 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Very few there had gotten jabs in the US. We were one of the few according to them. They kinda pushed back a bit because of that, but eventually let us get the booster. Ok?

So first you say it's "super easy" and then admit you are a rare exception.  I'm sure some squeak by one way or another but the party line from every one I called has consistently been "wait 6 months" and I assure you it is anything but "super easy" in Bangkok.  

Of course it is unlikely anything will actually be available once the 6 month timepoint is reached if past experiences are any indication.  This is why people think about "getting omicron over with" rather than dealing with the endless waiting game...

Maybe these folks should focus on actually getting people boosters.  The whole thing is specious because if actually they cared about keeping people out of hospitals they'd stop the forced admission of asymptomatics.

• Like 1

I think there's a debate going on in countries around the world, and in their health agencies, on how to balance competing interests at a time when available doses of mRNA vaccines remain limited.

On one hand, there's populations of people who need and want booster doses, especially with Omicron posing increased dangers as first and second dose protections wane over time.

Versus on the other hand, large portions (one third in the U.S. and Thailand, for example) haven't even received their first two doses yet. And where should the priorities be for the doses that are available.

In the U.S., I think, there's a substantial population of anti-vax nutters who probably won't voluntarily get vaccinated no matter how many doses are available. And the U.S. recently shortened their waiting period for Pfizer and Moderna boosters to only 5 months, instead of 6.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html

In Thailand, my guess is, there's a larger population of people upcountry who either haven't readily been offered vaccines or haven't readily been offered mRNA vaccines as opposed to the Chinese ones. And Thailand almost certainly has a tighter vaccine supply line than the U.S. does.

I'd be happier if Thailand could shorten their general waiting period for Pfizer and Moderna booster shots. But I also recognize they've got huge populations of folks with prior Sinovac / Sinopharm and AZ vaccines that haven't proven as durable as mRNA vaccines in resisting Omicron.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Someone Else said:

So first you say it's "super easy" and then admit you are a rare exception.  I'm sure some squeak by one way or another but the party line from every one I called has consistently been "wait 6 months" and I assure you it is anything but "super easy" in Bangkok.  

Of course it is unlikely anything will actually be available once the 6 month timepoint is reached if past experiences are any indication.  This is why people think about "getting omicron over with" rather than dealing with the endless waiting game...

Maybe these folks should focus on actually getting people boosters.  The whole thing is specious because if actually they cared about keeping people out of hospitals they'd stop the forced admission of asymptomatics.

Calm down. It was super easy. They just questioned where we got our vaccines. 30 seconds later, we were waiting for the jabs. Hardly squeaking by.

Thai Japanese youth center is also offering Pfizer boosters. But you need to wait in line.

I've seen thousands of people getting jabs in the past few weeks. Getting the Pfizer booster in Pattaya was hard. Bangkok was a breeze. Moderna is also easy. Just pay 1600 Baht. Easy peasy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think there's a debate going on in countries around the world, and in their health agencies, on how to balance competing interests at a time when available doses of mRNA vaccines remain limited.

On one hand, there's populations of people who need and want booster doses, especially with Omicron posing increased dangers as first and second dose protections wane over time.

Versus on the other hand, large portions (one third in the U.S. and Thailand, for example) haven't even received their first two doses yet. And where should the priorities be for the doses that are available.

In the U.S., I think, there's a substantial population of anti-vax nutters who probably won't voluntarily get vaccinated no matter how many doses are available. And the U.S. recently shortened their waiting period for Pfizer and Moderna boosters to only 5 months, instead of 6.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html

In Thailand, my guess is, there's a larger population of people upcountry who either haven't readily been offered vaccines or haven't readily been offered mRNA vaccines as opposed to the Chinese ones. And Thailand almost certainly has a tighter vaccine supply line than the U.S. does.

I'd be happier if Thailand could shorten their general waiting period for Pfizer and Moderna booster shots. But I also recognize they've got huge populations of folks with prior Sinovac / Sinopharm and AZ vaccines that haven't proven as durable as mRNA vaccines in resisting Omicron.

Yes. One reason we found it difficult to get the Pfizer booster. They're reserving the limited supply for those who had Chinese or AZ jabs. We were turned away several times because of this.

Richard Barrow pointed out 2 places to go. Success!

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Recent data from the U.S. CDC says otherwise, but it does highlight the importance of people getting a third booster dose of an mRNA vaccine in order to better protect against Omicron, and that two doses alone simply aren't enough, especially beyond 6 months after second vaccine doses.

Omicron has been a game changer in that regard. Two doses alone aren't cutting it, especially months after the original doses.

…And the third dose likely won’t cut it after 6 months either, so what we’ll be left with is (essentially) mandatory jabs every six months or so, if we want to be allowed to function normally in society.

3 minutes ago, Ryan754326 said:

…And the third dose likely won’t cut it after 6 months either, so what we’ll be left with is (essentially) mandatory jabs every six months or so, if we want to be allowed to function normally in society.

The Pfizer CEO said just the other day he hoped they'll be able to develop a newer COVID vaccine that will be durable for a year, including better protecting against Omicron. So essentially, comparable to the annual flu vaccines. But obviously we're not there yet.

Separately, Pfizer today announced the start of clinical trials on their new vaccine version specifically tailored to protect against Omicron.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220124005896/en/

Pfizer and BioNTech Initiate Study to Evaluate Omicron-Based COVID-19 Vaccine in Adults 18 to 55 Years of Age

First participants enrolled in clinical trial received Omicron-based vaccine candidate as a two-dose primary series and as a booster dose

Screenshot_1.jpg.b9f783d8d43d7b57eb66def5766f0aae.jpg

COVID INFECTIONS

"Rates of COVID-19 cases were lowest among fully vaccinated persons with a booster dose, compared with fully vaccinated persons without a booster dose, and much lower than rates among unvaccinated persons during ... December 2021 (148.6 [fully vaccinated with booster], 254.8 [fully vaccinated], and 725.6 [unvaccinated] per 100,000 population, respectively."

COVID DEATHS

"During October–November, age-standardized IRRs for deaths among unvaccinated persons were 53.2 compared with those in fully vaccinated persons with a booster dose and 12.7 compared with persons without a booster dose;

"Because of reporting lags, the influence of the Omicron variant on COVID-19–associated deaths by vaccination status in December could not be evaluated."

5 hours ago, Ryan754326 said:

At some point, the covid vaccine will be bundled with the flu jab and it will be an annual thing.  Like it been for decades.  And we'll still probably have people complaining about it! LOL