Foreigners in Thailand are stressed as conflicting reports state automatic Covid visa extension may be ending

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Borders Open = Covid extensions End.

Ain't rocket science. 

Borders (land) are not open and hence covid extensions should continue.

As per usual MO, immigration will play funny buggers and cause stress.

No letter from embassy/closed land borders was all I put for my reasons to stay.

I guess that they looked at my "usual" snowbird routine and figured I could not make my "normal" arrangements.

60 day extension dated from end of my original TR entry.

Thus my final departure date will follow practice of pre-Covid years.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Enoon said:

No letter from embassy/closed land borders was all I put for my reasons to stay.

Reason enough in my book.

I assume this extension was Jan 25 or earlier.

Think what everyone is looking for are reports from now on.

Will take some time to see how immigration play their cards.

They are known to have several jokers in each deck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

The biggest change is that you can now only apply for a COVID extension if your on a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

I suggest thats not completely clear at this time.

If indeed that happens, personally wouldn't think it's unreasonable for anyone that can obtain other extensions such as marriage or retirement from a non O to be refused covid extensions. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

How is this published today? The extension through to March 25 was published two days ago. It was never automatic, you always had to go an apply for the additional 60 day extension of stay. 

The biggest change is that you can now only apply for a COVID extension if your on a visa exempt or tourist visa entry. 

im hearing that u get only one covid extension now.  once u get one thats it

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Reason enough in my book.

I assume this extension was Jan 25 or earlier.

Think what everyone is looking for are reports from now on.

Will take some time to see how immigration play their cards.

They are known to have several jokers in each deck. 

I did it Monday, 24th.

Consideration stamp and extension stamp issued at the same time.

ie. Consideration stamp was dated 24th instructing me to return on 24th.

Underneath that stamp was the extension stamp, dated 24th, extending my stay until 6th April.

Original TR expiry was 5th February.

My IO ahead of the game?

That would be nice for many.

We shall have to wait and see.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Enoon said:

I did it Monday, 24th.

Consideration stamp and extension stamp issued at the same time.

ie. Consideration stamp was dated 24th instructing me to return on 24th.

Underneath that stamp was the extension stamp, dated 24th, extending my stay until 6th April.

Original TR expiry was 5th February.

Great you obtained final stamp same time.

Was this at CW? 

Some offices still issuing under consideration stamp with return date. Very inconvenient. 

Also you were given the 60 days from end of current permit.

For some obtaining first covid extension it was being dated from day of application. 

Edited by DrJack54

2 hours ago, webfact said:

It stated that the government will also add a 60-day extension to the current COVID-19 visa extension scheme, allowing foreign nationals stranded in Thailand to remain in the country on many types of expired visas until January 25, 2022. 

That was already the end date.  If they have extended it then the new date would be ~60 days after that.

14 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:
2 hours ago, userabcd said:

No need to be stressed. If they have no need to be in Thailand then its just a simple purchase of a flight ticket back to their home country

I would imagine the people feeling stressed are the ones who need to stay in Thailand.

Correct, because they haven't visited all the temples and beaches yet. *wink wink nudge nudge*  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

To help others, if you are at an immigration centre this week, maybe you can share your own observations and what stamp you eventually had in your passport too?

one post wrt Monday 24th which was before the ending of the previous decree.  No other useful posting.  Didn't take long for this potentially useful OP to ....

• Like 1

Just now, Finlaco said:

To help others, if you are at an immigration centre this week, maybe you can share your own observations and what stamp you eventually had in your passport too?

one post wrt Monday 24th which was before the ending of the previous decree.  No other useful posting.  Didn't take long for this potentially useful OP to ....

This op is harldy potentially useful. In fact it pretty much calls another post announcing the extension in the visa section into queetion and fuels pointless speculation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I think the Kiwis have a good reason for a further extension as Jacinda won't let them in. Anyone else can go home. If, as the article alleges, some haven't got the price of a ticket, that's not a good reason to legitimise their further stay in the country.

yes kiwis should be able to stay and every one else should go home.. agreed

My friend applied for his COVID visa extension yesterday 25 Jan 2022.  This was his 7th time.  It was business as usual, normal application process & paperwork, photo at the desk and 1,900 Baht.  Two month extension granted. Bring the passport back in in one month for a stamp update good through the last week in March 2022.  Historically, each time they have extended the program in the past, it has usually been two weeks prior to the current program expiration date.