Foreigners in Thailand are stressed as conflicting reports state automatic Covid visa extension may be ending

8 hours ago, Old Croc said:

This from The Pattaya Mail  (allowed to quote?)

"the Thai authorities seem to be saying that the liberal 60 days Covid extensions are coming to an end. It is time for foreigners to move on if they are dependent on this kind of discretion. Although land borders remain closed for tourist traffic and so-called visa runs, the situation as regards regular flights to all continents and most countries is much improved since the pandemic first took root almost two years ago. A new, and likely the last, date for applying is up to and including March 25. But this discretion is limited to “tourists” with an initial visa or permission labeling them as such."

Seems reasonable to me, surely no one thought it would be a permanent visa class?  I'm certain a lot of the old border runners have been using this as an alternative.

It's going to be difficult for them if both are unavailable.

Well, I do not agree that someone who came for 30 days (visa exempt) two years ago has a better claim for a Covid extension than someone who came intending to be here for nine months on a Non Ed visa or, even, someone on a Non B visa who recently lost his job as his company went under due to Covid.

The original intention was that a Covid extension was those who were unable to return to their home countries because of Covid (and you needed an embassy letter to the effect that this was the case). The authorities have never been fans of border runners, continually going in and out of Thailand to extend their stay indefinitely. The Covid extension was never intended to help out people who were doing that.

In reality, with the number of real tourists so low, it would be in Thailand's best interests to allow almost all foreigners who want to stay to do so. However, that would certainly be a very different mindset to the one the authorities had in 2019.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Well, I do not agree that someone who came for 30 days (visa exempt) two years ago has a better claim for a Covid extension than someone who came intending to be here for nine months on a Non Ed visa or, even, someone on a Non B visa who recently lost his job as his company went under due to Covid.

The original intention was that a Covid extension was those who were unable to return to their home countries because of Covid (and you needed an embassy letter to the effect that this was the case). The authorities have never been fans of border runners, continually going in and out of Thailand to extend their stay indefinitely. The Covid extension was never intended to help out people who were doing that.

In reality, with the number of real tourists so low, it would be in Thailand's best interests to allow almost all foreigners who want to stay to do so. However, that would certainly be a very different mindset to the one the authorities had in 2019.

agreed with the new 2 pcr test and 2 night test and go i dont think alot of people gonna partake..............better to keep the bodies here that are here.  bodies here dont bring covid in

11 hours ago, yogi yogi said:

covid emergency in north america and europe.  safer here. i need covid extension so i will survive this 

if you watch the news, life's far more normal in the uk than in thailand. non of my uk friends will go anywhere near thailand at the moment

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

To help others, if you are at an immigration centre this week, maybe you can share your own observations and what stamp you eventually had in your passport too?

Come on Thailand, this is the information age and you are getting left behind. Reporters have to ask their readers for help now? If your process is so confusing that the media can't figure it out, then you are the problem. Do you want tourism? Your mouth says yes but your process says no. Explain to me why people have to stand in line, spreading Omicron, when there's a perfectly hermetic process called the internet that doesn't risk lives to accomplish the same task. Or do you want farangs to test positive so your cash collecting protocols begin?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

IMHO, I believe this change was not intended to burden legit Non-Immig visa holders who are the unfortunate collateral damage of the order.  It seems to me that this change is to flush out all the dodgy Non-Immig ED and Volunteer visas that were issued in the past two years who are now riding the covid extensions.

8 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

It seems to me that this change is to flush out all the dodgy Non-Immig ED and Volunteer visas that were issued in the past two years who are now riding the covid extensions.

There are also those that have a non O and can obtain extensions based on retirement or marriage but choose to use covid extensions.

I can't imagine why, surely not that strapped for cash. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

There are also those that have a non O and can obtain extensions based on retirement or marriage but choose to use covid extensions.

I can't imagine why, surely not that strapped for cash. 

Agree. I feel like this new change is the beginning of the phasing out of the covid extensions.

Step 1: Get everyone off of them who is not either TR or VisaExempt. 

Step 2: Get EVERYONE off of them (when pandemic is practically ended and borders open, whenever they judge that is).

Step 3: Try to get back to business as usual (or...the new usual). 

Edited by audaciousnomad

6 hours ago, In the jungle said:

Yesterday in the UK there were 346 covid deaths.

The reality is that there are plenty of people quite willing to risk being killed, and who prefer that to being forced to wear a face mask to enter a 7-11. It is quite true that those people might well be deterred from coming to Thailand by the fact that there remains some, albeit inadequate, attempt to control Covid here.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

My point is covid extensions should continue until some land borders are open.

I can understand that this is what you want. Where we part company is in your belief that Covid extensions are provided partly as a convenience for people who would previously have been border runners. On the contrary, I think a contributing factor to the continued closure of the border with Cambodia, for instance, is that the authorities do not want to facilitate the return of the situation as it existed in 2019 where people were using border bounces to overcome restrictions on the length of tourist visits.

Believe me, I am not one of those who thinks foreigners who want to stay long term in Thailand should have obstacles placed in their way. I simply believe that the consensus of the majority in authority in Thailand is that, apart from selected groups, they only want short term visitors. The current situation, with limited visitor numbers, affects that attitude somewhat, but not enough for unlimited tourist extensions or easy border bounces to become official policy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I can understand that this is what you want. Where we part company is in your belief that Covid extensions are provided partly as a convenience for people who would previously have been border runners. On the contrary, I think a contributing factor to the continued closure of the border with Cambodia, for instance, is that the authorities do not want to facilitate the return of the situation as it existed in 2019 where people were using border bounces to overcome restrictions on the length of tourist visits.

Believe me, I am not one of those who thinks foreigners who want to stay long term in Thailand should have obstacles placed in their way. I simply believe that the consensus of the majority in authority in Thailand is that, apart from selected groups, they only want short term visitors. The current situation, with limited visitor numbers, affects that attitude somewhat, but not enough for unlimited tourist extensions or easy border bounces to become official policy.

A school student could construct visa and visa exempt rules etc to achieve anything Thai gov want.

Fact that they make available visa exempt entries via air with no stated limits (just one example) demonstrates that what your stating is incorrect.

People can easily live in south east Asia ongoing when land borders are open and entry via air not onerous.

I want to go to Saigon.

Most likely can't......

WHY...Because currently we have a pandemic..

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Fact that they make available visa exempt entries via air with no stated limits (just one example) demonstrates that what your stating is incorrect.

In 2019, with the possible exception of U-Tapao, every airport had examples of people being denied visa exempt entry on the basis of spending too much time in Thailand. There were also limits being placed on provision of tourist visas at every consulate in nearby countries. Even those with multiple entry tourist visas were having trouble at certain airports and land borders. How quickly people forget.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You wanna go to Saigon next week.

No problems my shout. 

I cannot travel to North Korea (or even China) right now, and that is unlikely to change any time soon. Does that justify me asking for unlimited Covid extensions?

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

In 2019, with the possible exception of U-Tapao, every airport had examples of people being denied visa exempt entry on the basis of spending too much time in Thailand. There were also limits being placed on provision of tourist visas at every consulate in nearby countries. Even those with multiple entry tourist visas were having trouble at certain airports and land borders. How quickly people forget.

Not true. DMK went noticably rogue. 

Don't recall one issue at CNX.

In any event find this bit boring.

You mention METV. How can anyone currently exit Thailand every 2 months and reenter.

Stick to the topic of thread.

Covid Extensions.

Last time I looked they have been extended till March 26. 

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I cannot travel to North Korea (or even China) right now, and that is unlikely to change any time soon. Does that justify me asking for unlimited Covid extensions?

Yep.

When land borders open No.

Edited by DrJack54

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't recall one issue at CNX.

Let me refresh your memory: https://aseannow.com/topic/1131311-visa-woes/

I also remember one notable example where someone flew from Hanoi to CMX, was denied entry and also denied re-entry in Hanoi. You commented on that thread.

CNX was much less likely to deny visa exempt entry, and invariably honoured visas. However, in 2019, trying to enter visa exempt anywhere (with the possible exception of U-Tapao) was fraught with risk for anyone longer than six months in Thailand on tourist entries.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:
20 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Yep

Presumably, that will be true even when land border are open? Travel to North Korea has always been difficult (indeed I have never visited because of that, although curious). Thus, like with Vietnam in your case, it appears that any country making it difficult to visit should justify everybody asking for unlimited stays in Thailand.

• Like 1

According to Richard Barrow on Facebook :

The new rules for covid extensions have started. People on VOA and Non Immigrant visas are reporting they have been refused a covid extension and have been told to leave the country within 7 days. There may be some exceptions, but it’s up to the discretion of the officer.
Immigration are mainly giving the 60-day covid extensions to tourists. For example, those who have a Tourist Visa or who came in on a free visa exemption. In both cases you must extend for 30 days before applying for covid stamp. But no guarantees. You have to give a good reason. If you have already been here on a covid extension for more than a year, it’s up to the discretion of the officer if you will get it or not. Dress smartly and be polite.
* I translated from the following that was sent to me by Immigration:

The Immigration Bureau has approved an extension of time for visa extensions for COVID-19 reasons until 25th March 2022, under the following conditions:
1. Persons entering the Kingdom with VISA ON ARRIVAL (VOA) cannot extend their visa for this reason
2. Persons entering the Kingdom with a TOURIST VISA can extend a tourist visa for an additional 30 days and then they can submit a reason to stay for COVID-19.
3. Persons entering the Kingdom as a temporary person, NON-IMMIGRANT VISA, cannot be extended for COVID-19
In the case of tourists already in the country. At the end of the 60-day period for permission to stay in the Kingdom, this time they must leave the country. Or if there is a necessity to stay, there are able to submit an application to stay in accordance with the laws, regulations, and rules set forth.

272735584_498983931587875_4517715064777197576_n.jpg

Edited by MICHAELDUTCH
  • Like 2

On 1/26/2022 at 10:38 AM, yogi yogi said:

covid emergency in north america and europe.  safer here. i need covid extension so i will survive this 

people that laugh at my comment look at the poll of expats in thailand right now. most all of them say its unsafe to travel around to different countries right now. so im not alonein my thinking

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

In the case of tourists already in the country. At the end of the 60-day period for permission to stay in the Kingdom, this time they must leave the country. Or if there is a necessity to stay, there are able to submit an application to stay in accordance with the laws, regulations, and rules set forth.

That's about as clear as the muddy sewage polluting the chao praya river. :cheesy:

Edited by audaciousnomad

45 minutes ago, MICHAELDUTCH said:
According to Richard Barrow on Facebook :

The new rules for covid extensions have started. People on VOA and Non Immigrant visas are reporting they have been refused a covid extension and have been told to leave the country within 7 days. There may be some exceptions, but it’s up to the discretion of the officer.
Immigration are mainly giving the 60-day covid extensions to tourists. For example, those who have a Tourist Visa or who came in on a free visa exemption. In both cases you must extend for 30 days before applying for covid stamp. But no guarantees. You have to give a good reason. If you have already been here on a covid extension for more than a year, it’s up to the discretion of the officer if you will get it or not. Dress smartly and be polite.
* I translated from the following that was sent to me by Immigration:

The Immigration Bureau has approved an extension of time for visa extensions for COVID-19 reasons until 25th March 2022, under the following conditions:
1. Persons entering the Kingdom with VISA ON ARRIVAL (VOA) cannot extend their visa for this reason
2. Persons entering the Kingdom with a TOURIST VISA can extend a tourist visa for an additional 30 days and then they can submit a reason to stay for COVID-19.
3. Persons entering the Kingdom as a temporary person, NON-IMMIGRANT VISA, cannot be extended for COVID-19
In the case of tourists already in the country. At the end of the 60-day period for permission to stay in the Kingdom, this time they must leave the country. Or if there is a necessity to stay, there are able to submit an application to stay in accordance with the laws, regulations, and rules set forth.

272735584_498983931587875_4517715064777197576_n.jpg

so under 3.  im reading that even if here on a tourist visa and a previous covid extension they are still giving them one more up until march 25. but bring proof of an exit ticket this time.