SATA M2 SSD To 2280 Using Adaptor OK?

dddave

I'm helping a friend upgrade her laptop from an 500HDD to SSD.  Having difficulty finding decently priced 1TB 2.5 M2 SSDs but there are quite a few 22-80 SSDs available.  I see one can buy an adaptor to use a 22-80 in a 2 1/2" bay with the SATA connectors.  

Any reasons why not?

2 minutes ago, dddave said:

I'm surprised at this.  I upgraded my own HP Pavilion from a 500GB HDD to a ITB 2 1/2" SSD and the difference was dramatic: Start-up from 90 seconds to 20, saved pages, media and graphics loading much faster.  It honestly ran like a new machine.

Certainly start up is faster but after that not so much. It depends a lot on the bus speed and having to use an adapter means that the board probably isn't optimal. I'm not saying there is no speed increase, I'm questioning the benefit to cost and time for the upgrade. Better to buy a later machine when the time comes. I'm never in favour of upgrading computers instead of just replacing them every 5 years

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dddave said:

I'm helping a friend upgrade her laptop from an 500HDD to SSD.  Having difficulty finding decently priced 1TB 2.5 M2 SSDs but there are quite a few 22-80 SSDs available.  I see one can buy an adaptor to use a 22-80 in a 2 1/2" bay with the SATA connectors.  

Any reasons why not?

A change from a HDD to any SSD will make a big difference.

Check the specs of the laptop and what is can handle.

And what are 22-80 SSDs? 

• Like 1

What is the make and model of the laptop?

Approximate age?

Budget for SSD?

Size of SSD?

What is the laptop used for: top 5 applications?

With little to no information I'd recommend a 2.5" SATA III 1TB, ~ 3,750 thb.

Again, with no info it's challenging to understand if an M.2 drive is even feasible: slot, firmware.

you have two options.. buy a disk from aliexpress.. free freight.. they cost around 50 usd to thailand .. or buy a similar priced m2280 ngff or nvme.. if its a mac.. remember to buy the adapter for 100 baht also.. from proprietary Apple ssd connector to standard ngff or nvme M2 disk.. You can also use 2240 which are normally ngff disks and half the size but a litte bit wider.. 

This is an example of something you could use.. normal sata ssd. 2.5

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003115386317.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.1dda78d0KE4Swe&algo_pvid=f3d51d3c-4088-4a25-b5fc-0f29e6cb1c16&algo_exp_id=f3d51d3c-4088-4a25-b5fc-0f29e6cb1c16-2&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000024183198526"}&pdp_pi=-1%3B2036.69%3B-1%3B-1%40salePrice%3BTHB%3Bsearch-mainSearch

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ozimoron said:

If you're primarily browsing the net then startup is the only time you will really see much difference. If you are using large data files like graphics editing, games or database then yes.

To the extent that browser caching and retrieval is a factor, the SSD will be faster.

22 hours ago, ozimoron said:

If you're primarily browsing the net then startup is the only time you will really see much difference. If you are using large data files like graphics editing, games or database then yes.

Good chance she has some files if she is wanting to double her capacity. Or wants the room for storage of something.

On 1/27/2022 at 2:41 PM, paahlman said:

You can also use 2240 which are normally ngff disks and half the size but a litte bit wider.

You do realize the 22xx numbers attached to M.2 boards are dimensions? Ie, 2240 is 22mm wide by 40mm long. If your M.2 is a little bit wider, I would consider this as suspicious.

On 1/27/2022 at 3:02 PM, GrandPapillon said:

the m2 NGFF SATA adapters are cheap, about 10 USD

NMVe is not compatible with m2 adapters, even though the connectors and pins looks exactly the same, be very careful, it could possibly damage the adapters or the NMVe stick if you plug in one in the other

There are two M2 Cards.. NVME like Grandpapillon says here.. but also NGFF . There are converter adapters for both of them for apple macs. 2240 is the lenght.. and it would work good , but .. the 2240 ones are normally only sata disk.. Anyway.. All can be used, but for speed a real nvme disk m2 is recommended.

Yes.. of course.. but instead of writing anything.. This link explains it..

You just need a different pci-e adapter.. They do not have the same connectors so they would not fit in a nvme adaper anyway... Its a no brainer. I mean.. You would not be able to put anything wrong into the machine.

https://www.pcpepper.com/sata-vs-msata-vs-ngff-m-2-vs-nvme-pcie-m-2-which-is-the-right-ssd-for-me/

Edited by paahlman
  • Thanks 1

I don't really understand why the OP wants to make it so complicated. Just replace the HDD with SATA SSD. There are plenty 1TB SSD's available from 3000 baht up. Just plug'n'play. https://www.invadeit.co.th/category/solid-state-drives-ssd/1tb/2-5-inch/

An M.2 SSD with SATA bus adapter will be more expensive than that.

On 1/29/2022 at 1:19 PM, paahlman said:

There are two M2 Cards.. NVME like Grandpapillon says here.. but also NGFF . There are converter adapters for both of them for apple macs. 2240 is the lenght.. and it would work good , but .. the 2240 ones are normally only sata disk.. Anyway.. All can be used, but for speed a real nvme disk m2 is recommended.

If you connect anything to the SATA bus, adapter or not, you will be restricted by the speed of the SATA III bus which is about 600MBs, but there is some overhead in that for signalling etc. That is the reason why the same NAND will perform much faster in an nVME SSD than in SATA SSD.

Typically, high end 5" spinners like Seagate can achieve speeds of over 220MBs, while SATA SSD can saturate the bus at 550+MBs. The small 2.5" HDDs like those in the laptops have much lower figures with max data rates at 100MBs or thereabouts.

nVME SSD drives connected to the PCIe3 bus can achieve over 3000MBs and over 7000MBs on a PCIe4, but you'll have to have a pretty new laptop to have an nVME PCIe connector.

• Like 2