re-entering thailand, insurance confusion? (cigna international)

Hi. im planning to leave Thailand soon and hopefully return in a few months time.. 

I have Cigna international, but no outpatient.. I'm trying to figure out what they need and how to proceed, and/or if i need to change my policy to include outpatient as well.

At this link: https://longstay.tgia.org/guidelineoa it states that a non o needs 100k usd coverage and 400k inpatient/40k outpatient at renewal.. and also the form they link to, only ask for the insured total sum and not in/out patient amounts.

what is the truth here? what do i do?

p.s. Did anyone with Cigna international have any luck of getting them to sign those forms (i didnt try, but feel this might be an issue as well)

added info: im 51, plan to return and get a retirement visa, still trying to figure out of the process for that, but thats the plan

thanks for any info.. im very confused ????

Edited by vento

What I got from Cigna was a statement that treatment (whatever kind) was refunded up to 30k euros. I don't see them signing any form.

I hate this insurance issue with Thailand as I don't feel I am at all underinsured under my Cigna worldwide coverage.

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Are your extentions from a Non O-A or Non O.

Oh, i plan to get a retirement visa, but currently im on visa exempt since many years and extensions due to medical reasons and then covid extensions.

I plan to leave thailand and come back in a few months and get a retirement 50+ extension.. sorry if my information was confusion, its all very confusing to me. not sure how to answer this correct, because i still dont even understand how to get the retirement extension

Edited by vento

6 minutes ago, JackGats said:

What I got from Cigna was a statement that treatment (whatever kind) was refunded up to 30k euros. I don't see them signing any form.

I hate this insurance issue with Thailand as I don't feel I am at all underinsured under my Cigna worldwide coverage.

yes, and thats my worry as well.. as far as i could tell cigna thailand was a part of this "scheme" but doubt they will sign anything if our policies are with the cigna global/int.. its all both confusing and frustrating

9 minutes ago, vento said:

I plan to leave thailand and come back in a few months and get a retirement 50+ extension.

You can return with visa exempt entry.

You can then obtain a Non O retirement in Thailand.

You then obtain an extension.

The only insurance you would require is 50k covid insurance for 30 day cover.

You would not require insurance for the non O or the extension.

Do not obtain a Non O-A in your home country. That requires ongoing rubbish insurance. 

The non O and subsequent extension have financial requirements.

Do you have a Thai bank account. That's your first requirement to obtain. 

Edited by DrJack54

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You can return with visa exempt entry.

You can then obtain a Non O retirement in Thailand.

You then obtain an extension.

The only insurance you would require is 50k covid insurance for 30 day cover.

You would not require insurance for the non O or the extension.

Do not obtain a Non O-A in your home country. That requires ongoing rubbish insurance. 

The non O and subsequent extension have financial requirements.

Do you have a Thai bank account. That's your first requirement to obtain. 

Thank you so very very much.. this is easy to understand and exactly what i was looking for..  Much appreciated.

6 minutes ago, vento said:

Thank you so very very much.. this is easy to understand and exactly what i was looking for..  Much appreciated.

Just again to underline the need to have a bank account in position.

With a 30 day reentry you need to obtain the non O quickly.

It requires 800k baht in bank account on day of application.

That non O gives you a 90 day stay.

In the last 30 days of that permission you will obtain 12 month extension. On the day you apply the 800k would need to be in bank for 2 months..

No insurance required for the non O or the extension.

You will need to show the 800k for the non O came from overseas.

Note: if more time is required you can obtain a 30 day extension to your visa exempt entry. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

With a 30 day reentry you need to obtain the non O quickly.

It requires 800k baht in bank account on day of application.

This seems like a catch-22, tough to pull off? As I understand opening a bank account on a tourist visa is hit or miss, but applying for the non O requires an account with 800k. Are there tricks to opening an account on a tourist visa?

15 minutes ago, kgeographer said:

. Are there tricks to opening an account on a tourist visa?

Folks will report that they opened bank account on tourist visa and visa exempt....however it does take some running around.

Common question will be "where is your work permit" catch 22 when your doing it to obtain non O retirement.

I tested this out with Bangkok Bank and they wanted something from my embassy. Most likely a statement regarding address.

They also wanted from my Oz bank. Ridiculous.

In Bangkok you can obtain a residence certificate however that requires to have made a 90 day report.

I found Kasikorn helpful however I had previous non O and currently on extensions. 

With a visa exempt entry and time of the essence, I suggest the use of agent to assist with opening Bank Account.

Siam Legal is just one example. 

• Like 1