Do Thai citizens need a Thai Pass to re-enter the country

I know it's a long way off but we are thinking of a trip to the UK in May (well you can't hide yourself away forever).

As things stand at the moment do double  vaccinated Thai nationals have the same re-entry conditions as other nationalities (i.e. a Thai Pass)?

5 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Just a follow up  - if I have a retirement extension (which I believe does not need insurance) do I need insurance to re-enter country on Thai pass?

Yes. 50,000 dollar cover. 

I assume it would need to be for the length of time you get stamped in. In your case would be 90 days???

Edited by overherebc

7 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Depending on how long T&G lasts I might be in the same boat if we decide to go to uk later this year.

We are planning out in mid May back in mid Sept so a lot can change even during the course of the time in the UK - but as I said in the initial thread if we wait for certainty we could be waiting for years!

2 points

1. is the 50K medical or Covid cover?

2. I'm in my late 70's -(no pre-existing to my knowledge) but medical cover can be very expensive at my age and I think unnecessary  since I have had 3 jabs and I have assets well in excess of $50K

14 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

We are planning out in mid May back in mid Sept so a lot can change even during the course of the time in the UK - but as I said in the initial thread if we wait for certainty we could be waiting for years!

2 points

2. I'm in my late 70's -(no pre-existing to my knowledge) but medical cover can be very expensive at my age and I think unnecessary  since I have had 3 jabs and I have assets well in excess of $50K

I have a feeling that the only reponse you will get is 'insurance must have'.

35 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would only need 30 days of coverage for the insurance required for entry. 

Check here on the TGIA insurance site. https://covid19.tgia.org/

Thanks for the link but it is confusing - if you look at the attachment it clearly says the insurance must be for the whole of the stay and yet the only cover it offers is 30 days! Also 3,700baht for 30 days of Covid only cover seems a bit steep to me.

1725981127_covidCover.jpg.9c0a3415d21e1e752f2eea3a10c52872.jpg

But thanks for being as ever the source of so much knowledge

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Thanks for the link but it is confusing - if you look at the attachment it clearly says the insurance must be for the whole of the stay and yet the only cover it offers is 30 days! Also 3,700baht for 30 days of Covid only cover seems a bit steep to me.

In reality now only 30 days is needed now to enter the country.

I have not read the coverage recently but it should now cover all medical care.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Negita43 said:

1725981127_covidCover.jpg.9c0a3415d21e1e752f2eea3a10c52872.jpg

But thanks for being as ever the source of so much knowledge

If it is too steep for someone who has assets of well in excess of $50k then look for other options yourself. You received professional and knowledgeable advice FOC and whinge about peanuts.

2 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

I'm not whinging I'm just looking for the best option. The best way to find that is to discuss it with other reasonable people which is clearly not you.

The reason I have assets in excess of $50K is precisely because I was and am carefully about spending my money and look at all options before I do.

FYI I also read it and know enough to know that you have been given good and free advice, so my point is why look elsewhere for something that is proven and not expensive? 

As a PR of Thailand and someone who has entered 5 times since COVID I have read enough posts about Insurance. Fortunately I do not have to buy what has been suggested, but may do if I did.

15 hours ago, overherebc said:

I assume it would need to be for the length of time you get stamped in. In your case would be 90 days???

That's tough. What about people who are too old to get health insurance but have enough money to look after themselves? Leaving Thailand is one way for them.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, and sorry for being pedantic, but when members above say 30 days insurance is "enough to enter the country" they are really saying that the semi-automated Thai Pass system has been approving and granting a QR code to applications with bona fide 30 days insurance coverage listed. I don't know that Immigration double checks the insurance carried upon entry.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, overherebc said:

The poster was talking about re-entry, he would be stamped in until the end of extension.

When i arrived in Oct, about half a dozen people checked my insurance, only the man with the stamp did not.

I was stamped in until the end of my extension in Aug 22 although my insurance expired in Dec 21.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get the TGIA insurance up to and including the age of 99. I is only for 30 days but that would enough to enter the country.

Just to clarify - If I have the 30 day TGIA insurance  but my return ticket is say 5 months after entry won't that cause issues for the Thai pass?

12 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Just to clarify - If I have the 30 day TGIA insurance  but my return ticket is say 5 months after entry won't that cause issues for the Thai pass?

You mention a return ticket, does that indicate you would travel to Thailand and then return?

That being the case you could look at Emirates, I believe they have brought back insurance with the ticket but not sure if the terms are the same.

I entered in October under COE with Emirates insurance.

23 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You mention a return ticket, does that indicate you would travel to Thailand and then return?

That being the case you could look at Emirates, I believe they have brought back insurance with the ticket but not sure if the terms are the same.

I entered in October under COE with Emirates insurance.

To the best of my knowledge that ended for bookings after Dec 01 2021 ( I booked in November to come back in Dec on that scheme). If you believe that the scheme is back please can you give a link.

On 1/29/2022 at 4:10 PM, Negita43 said:

2 points

It's specifically Covid- 19 cover.

Policy must state it provides overall Covid- 19 cover not less than US$50,000-. Policy summary must be in English and must show proof that the premium has been paid.

Please don't be put off by the numerous negative comments about getting the 'Thailand Pass', it's actually not difficult at all.

And don't be put off with numerous posts about 'what if I get Covid on the way to the toilet' etc. Go with the system.

Right now travel etc., anywhere needs a bit more admin., but don't believe it's ridiculously difficult. It's not.

I came through Suvarnabhumo on 9 Dec from Australia with my Thailand pass (TP):

- No difficulties to get the TP

- All documents checked at Sydney Airport, no problems.

- All documents checked on arrival at Suvarnabhumi, less than 5 minutes

- Through passport stamping, collected luggage and In the car provided by the hotel and on my way within 10 minutes.

- Nurse waiting at the hotel about 6:005 pm, swab completed within 1 minute of arrival.

- Phone rang 6:00 am next morning (As planned), recorded message Thai and English 'you're negative'.

- Hotel was Lee Nova, which is on the approved list of test and Go hotels. 

- Checked out later that morning and on my way to my Thai family upcountry. 

- At that point in time no need for day 5 test but shouldn't be difficult to plan and organize. Can be any hotel anywhere, on the approved list.

Good luck.

Edited by scorecard

On 1/30/2022 at 9:57 AM, sandyf said:

The poster was talking about re-entry, he would be stamped in until the end of extension.

When i arrived in Oct, about half a dozen people checked my insurance, only the man with the stamp did not.

I was stamped in until the end of my extension in Aug 22 although my insurance expired in Dec 21.

If you entered in October, you were using a COE, not Thailand Pass. With COE, yes, your insurance document was inspected on arrival. Under Thailand Pass, it isn't - at the arrival airport, they only look at your QR code and pre-flight PCR test result.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 11:09 AM, andy said:

The answer is yes, for now.  No point in planning for May though, there is no way the current criteria stays the same.  The revised Thai pass rules basically disincentivize people (Thais & foreigners) coming for a week or 2 week holiday, which you would think is the exact demographic Thailand wants to attract.  The Mensa members in the gov and TAT will surely realize that eventually.

Wife wanted to go in Feb for a week or two, but with the day 5 rule now it just doesn't make much sense.

The day 5 rule is there to enforce people take the 2nd test. The requirement was there before but nobody followed it.