Does Dating online in Thailand and Asia really work?

webfact

dating-apps-2.jpg

We all like to have a partner, and during lockdowns, it is perhaps even more important to share the isolation.

So best route for many in Thailand and across Asia is online dating.

The dating service industry has exhibited massive growth in terms of sales and has been evolving continuously over the past couple of decades. 

The global online dating services market was valued at $6,400.0 million in 2017 and is projected to reach $9,202 million by 2025.

This is attributable to the rise in the number of singles around the globe, especially in North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific. 

The surge in internet penetration especially during the Covid 19 pandemic around the globe has resulted in significant growth of the online dating services market. 

However, do many people actually find their soul mate, by cruising these dating sites?

Best Sites

Experts say the Best Asian Dating Sites you can get for free are:

AsianMatchMate.com. 
AsianMachMate is a dating website where people can meet single Asian women and men. ...also
AsianDating.com. 
Thaifriendly.com. 
AsianDate.com. 
DateInAsia.com. 
Thai Cupid.com.
EastMeetEast.com. 
TrulyAsian.com. 
2RedBeans.com.

Currently the Top 5 Dating Apps by views In Asia last year were…

•    Tantan. This China-based dating app operates like Tinder and has attracted a significantly high proportion of users in China, especially in Shanghai and Beijing. ...
•    Paktor. ...
•    Truly Madly. ...
•    Singapore Lovelinks.
•    Aisle.

Although most sites state they are Free, if you want to contact anyone, they normally only let paid-up members have total access.

So, they now have hooked you in!

At the end of the day, if you are a man looking for a girlfriend, you will naturally find that many females listed are not really looking for a long-term relationship.

Therefore, these sites may be great to meet someone gorgeous for a short holiday romance, but you will certainly need to make sure your ATM card is topped up.

Genuine partners 

To find a genuine long-term partner is a lot harder, but you just have to keep looking

A lot of women looking for older partners, often want you to also look after their extended families up in Issan too.

Also, although they may say they understand English, best to chat via video first, otherwise communication will be tough.

It is hard to find a good-looking partner, who you think will take care of you rather than just treat you as her private bank account.

However, you never know what is around the corner, so keep searching.

Maybe you have some tips to share?

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-31

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

stay away from pictures that look 'app' adjusted or professional. My wife had an honest 'real life' picture

Good move. Too done up is usually a red flag, on social media or real life. Simple, throw on a t-shirt, light make up or none, has always been my style.

I met my wife waitressing in a restaurant. She later showed me her FB, old plain pic, little activity, not into social media. I recommend that's the way to go, having watched what FB's done to my friends and family over the years. Though these days it's getting harder to avoid.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

$6,400.0 million in 2017 and is projected to reach $9,202 million by 2025

Very lucrative indeed. So that's 9202 x 1 million = 9.2 billion. Formidable figure. 

Genuine relationships (forged as a result of this industry) aside, this goes to show that the oldest profession in the world is very much alive and well even in challenging times.

It certainly can be a minefield but ... reflect on the ability to meet someone that you would never otherwise have the opportunity to meet. Retiring in Thailand, I was a fat boy in a candy shop and enjoyed it much for the first 8 months (plus four separate monthlong visits previously). I found that I would be happier with a full-time mate. Four years in the first relationship and after that ended, I went back to the online sites. I met a girl online from Chachoengsao (with a hair salon in Bangkok and a 12 year old Daughter). 26 years my junior (but you need to take in account my retirement age). Married on our 5th anniversary together this past April and both consider ourselves very fortunate to have found each other. My best advice ... take your time and think with the head on your shoulders.

• Like 2

My viewpoint on online dating services:
1. Online dating has changed drastically the last 4 years and has become a place for scammers and gold-diggers. Few real people looking for a real match online.
2. Looking at Facebook dating sites (eg "Find true love with Thai girls") and seeing that every girl/woman can post 1 picture and get immediatly 1,000+ posts with "I love you/Marry me/etc." from over the world, I wish everybody good luck on really meeting that woman.
Some of them are from rich countries and don't mind to send 500 USD/EUR to that woman.
A woman I know very well started to publish a picture of her in Facebook dating sites and only chose people from rich countries to meet them for a week in Pattaya, Phuket or their own country and she has been travelling the last year over the world for free and coming back to Thailand every time with a lot of plenty cash and a several bank books/CC.
3. Most of these sites are infested with girls/woman who have changed their business from the bars to the online world and are there only to make money.

Do you want to meet a girl/woman for more than a "one night stand"?
Go out to the places where woman use to hang out and try your luck there.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Also, although they may say they understand English, best to chat via video first, otherwise communication will be tough.

Everybody "speaks" English in dating sites.
Except that after 2 phrases you can easily see that they are using Google or any online translator which is f...ing up the whole conversation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

glad I met my wife the good old fashioned way before online dating became the norm; a tawdry work affair.

Furtive kisses in the back stairwell during a coffee break seems a lot less stressful than creating an online profile!

• Haha 1

Over years i have found 3 long term relationships on thaifriendly.

non of them wrote anything about long relationship on their profile. But very many do. 
The first one went back to her province to take care of kids and her mother. 
the second went abroad on 2 years work contract. 
The the third one is a nurse working 70h weekly, but can take holiday days often, as she saved them over many years of hard work, when being single. 

I havent met any other girls. Pretty explonatory within few messages who they are and what they want

Edited by internationalism

Online dating is fine....but you have to roll with the punches; the fakes, scammers, liars, nut-cases, etc. Easy for the date 'that night', but harder if you are looking long-term, but still many normal girls on them. Biggest problem, as mentioned above, if you are a decent catch (economically), the girl will likely be way into you before you are into them. I don't recommend it so much for "never been to Thailand before" guys, but you might get lucky, its not like experienced guys are immune to the downsides either. Renting is fine, but I think the OP is about a real relationship/marriage, and I know of several successful outcomes. I even recommended to a couple girls that I liked (but had no interest in marrying) to use the western dating sites, and two have been married for a number of years using them. SInce it's easy to meet dozens of ladies through them, versus the amount of time it would take on the ground, they certainly have their place. Thai girls don't tend to like the idea of dating around though (you want to meet several girls, see several girls) during the same time, so you have to figure out how to navigate that. Unless you're playing games, being honest about that upfront is the best approach, even if a bit of a disappointment for them.

• Like 1

Met my girlfriend online and even though we both live in Bangkok, we didn't meet in person for 10 months.  I kind of regret not meeting her sooner, but it's all good and perhaps getting to know each other via chat is why we got on so well we finally met.

She's almost 20 years younger than me, slim and extremely attractive.  Best of all she's European, not Thai.  

Been 12 years since i used them. But did find half a dozen interesting girls (or rather they mainly found me) and met 3 of them. One turned out to be pay for play, other 2 were genuine. Yes, you need to filter the girls and try not to attract the wrong type (whatever that is for you).

I didn't marry one of them, but only because i got a better offer (hmm, maybe!) from a girl at a restaurant.....

11 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Few real people looking for a real match online.
(…) I wish everybody good luck on really meeting that woman.

I suggest you do the following experiment: create a profile on thaifriendly, age between 30-35, decent looking guy (use an AI to create a fake photo). You may be in for a surprise. 

I would never use these sites to “find” a relationship, but it’s ridiculous how easily you can hook up with all sorts of girls and women (and ladyboys) with minimal investment required. When I was still single and using those sites, I even stopped going on dates with those girls. I would simply ask them to come to mine for a drink and food. And except for two bad experiences (out of a hundred maybe), I never had any girl ask for money or act crazy. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

I suggest you do the following experiment: create a profile on thaifriendly, age between 30-35, decent looking guy (use an AI to create a fake photo). You may be in for a surprise. 

I would never use these sites to “find” a relationship, but it’s ridiculous how easily you can hook up with all sorts of girls and women (and ladyboys) with minimal investment required. When I was still single and using those sites, I even stopped going on dates with those girls. I would simply ask them to come to mine for a drink and food. And except for two bad experiences (out of a hundred maybe), I never had any girl ask for money or act crazy. 

No need to use a "Fake" profile.

I made a "TRUE" profile in ThaiFriendly.com when I divorced my wife 12 years ago and I still receive now posts from girls/woman who want to meet me and even want to hook up with me.

But 95% of then are "Fake" people who use ThaiFriendly for "Business" and ask after a few posts for online-sex or others things.

The other 5% are mostly living on the other edge of Thailand; Have an extensive family (parents, kids, sisters and brothers,  etc.)  living with them and supporting them; or not really my taste (overweighted, very young, very old, etc.).

In short, I would not lose my time on a meeting site if I want to meet a girl/woman with a relation in mind.

More chance to meet a good girl/woman nearby in a Mall, coffee shop, etc. in less time.

• Like 1

I never used a dating site, we met on FaceBook and we talked for about one year I guess till I finally found the guts to meet her in person and yes she was not a bargirl ( I am not against them ) she worked at a uni near her home which I visited a few times met all the family and friends before we deceidet to get married Thai style first and applied for spouse visa which took 9 months to come through got married in OZ in 2003 and she is Australian citizen now for many years. We spend a number of years in Thailand but found it very hard to run a business. So we deceidet to move back to OZ and yeah not all Thai girls are bad.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 3:22 AM, RichardColeman said:

As I met my school teacher wife on Thaifriendly I would have to say it can be worthwhile. 

Though certainly had messages from lots of frogs and mad women ????

Only rule of thumb I had on looking was stay away from pictures that look 'app' adjusted or professional. My wife had an honest 'real life' picture. I talked to her online for 2-3 months, took the flight, met her at the airport and married her 3 weeks later. Happily married now for 6 years with one daughter.

Is that your picture in your avatar? ????

On 1/31/2022 at 11:27 PM, cocoonclub said:

I don't mind a girl asking  for money. Expecting sex for free is cheap.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 6:49 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Simple, throw on a t-shirt, light make up or none, has always been my style.

I bet you rock it well.

On 1/31/2022 at 6:49 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I met my wife waitressing in a restaurant.

Did you have a work permit for that?

Very interesting to learn this about you.

• Haha 2

Tinder seems to work fine.

Don't bother paying for any dating apps.

If you're confident just go to any shopping center and strike up a conversation with some girls.

.....Or just go to NaNa and get a stunner for a 1500 baht and forgoe the small talk.