What are the THREE Most Important Thingies That ALL Incoming Western Retirees Must Master in order to Reach Nirvana in Thailand, plus Happiness & Contentment during their so-called Golden Years?

GammaGlobulin

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What is that then? Worshiping 3 headed elephants, racism against Burmese, exploitation of the poor, corruption etc.

I wouldn't be harping on about Thai culture so much, unless you want to consider both the dark and light sides.

All I needed for nirvana in LOS was money, a nice room and a pleasant companion.

I'm warshipping my lady until the end!

Love for her is all I need in this life as long it last, or until the pink glasses disappear or brake.

Love is all you need

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Isaanlife said:

You should find a copy of "Are you lonely tonight"

Then play it over and over and over again.

You must have all the time in the world.

Do you understand we don't need your assistance looking up Youtube videos?

If you start a post, try to stay on your own topic!

Lonesome. 

20 hours ago, simon43 said:

Why does the OP insist on using such long and verbose titles for every thread that he creates?  It upsets the formatting of the web page.

A title should be short and get straight to the point.  The body of the post is where one expands upon the topic of the title.

I have an opinion why the OP does this, but I would risk a suspension if I put this in writing....

Use memes to put it in a charadic fashion, or endless metaphors, in a Nebuchadnezzaric fashion.

count your syllables

measure your words

put what you would say

into blank verse.

one thing I like about the OP - he says it with words.  And words are amongst our greatest means of communication.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 9:52 PM, saakura said:

"All Indian religions assert it to be a state of perfect quietude, freedom, highest happiness as well as the liberation from attachment and worldly suffering and the ending of samsara"

Indian, Thai or Hindu, Buddhist. Most importantly, they teach that it has to come from within you. 

Sikhism?

On 2/2/2022 at 6:07 PM, StreetCowboy said:

Use memes to put it in a charadic fashion, or endless metaphors, in a Nebuchadnezzaric fashion.

count your syllables

measure your words

put what you would say

into blank verse.

one thing I like about the OP - he says it with words.  And words are amongst our greatest means of communication.

Your last comment is illogical

How else to say it except in words? Smoke signals? Semaphore?

the 3 attributes I think an expat needs to live happily in LOS are .... (drum roll)

1. One must have an optimistic outlook on life.
  2. One needs to be open to new things.
  3. One should refrain from making judgements.

Been a while since I logged in, are all the regulars still alive?

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 10:33 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

BY THE WAY.....

I just really hope that some of you might listen to ...

RAVI SHANKAR

ANDRE PREVIN

Some of the best from East and West....

Why?

Because, I think that this is beautiful music, and is a product of East and West.

I am not trying to "promote" it.

Just hoping that others will enjoy it.

Maybe you might find this music exactly as uplifting as I did, almost 50 years ago.

Take care, my friends.

Trendy back then .......back then. Much prefer his daughter's  (Norah) style. Aging well too !

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 9:45 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

In my considered opinion, and in my wisdom after seven decades on Planet Earth:

London Cab Drivers are:

a. Helpful

b. Intuitive

c. Empathetic, regarding their fares

d. Intelligent, to the max

e. Humorous in the best respect

f. Fine fellows, well met, in every way

g.  And, so much more....

This is why, I know that London Cab Drivers will find utmost happiness and pleasure if they were to just board a plane and come here to Thailand, when they choose to retire.

I know this to be true.

London Cab Drivers, those of yore, are amazingly wonderful people.

Everybody must agree.

Just goes to show that age and wisdom are not connected.

As for how wonderful black taxi cab drivers of yore were; try jumping in and then asking for a destination four or five miles away after they have been queuing at Heathrow airport for a while.

Fortunately, by law they have to take you and it's done with very bad grace, as if somehow it's my fault that I lived relatively close to the airport.

On 2/2/2022 at 6:07 PM, StreetCowboy said:

count your syllables

measure your words

put what you would say

into blank verse.

In this case, I would choose to say, "Words are among our greatest means of of communication".

However, either among or amongst will definitely do.

Same with while and whilst, we are perfectly justified in using either one.

Language is ever evolving, and if this were not so we could not speak about our present world, and make our meaning clear.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

In this case, I would choose to say, "Words are among our greatest means of of communication".

However, either among or amongst will definitely do.

Same with while and whilst, we are perfectly justified in using either one.

Language is ever evolving, and if this were not so we could not speak about our present world, and make our meaning clear.

Sorry:

What I meant to say is that...

The UK is and always was a place from whence all great English flows, only to become corrupted in the former colonies, such as America, Singapore, British Malaya, and Australia, not to mention New Zealand and so many other colonies.

These days, almost everyone around the world is getting on the English bandwagon, just hoping they will be able to speak with the lilt and erudition of Oxford grads, if only they find the right tutor.

Some places, such as Singapore, are instead satisfied to increase their mishmash of what was formerly known as English.

So, the question might be:  Will English become, in the future, no longer one language, but several English languages, each rendition of English mutually unintelligible to speakers of the other form of English?

The answer is definitely, YES.

This is already happening.

So, if you are seeking Golden Years, then I hope you will not spend your time in a land, or former colony, where you find it annoying and difficult to understand the English spoken in such circumstances.  From my perspective, I find it difficult to understand the form of English spoken in India, and also Singapore, and some other thankful colonies.

Maybe you might try places like Bermuda, for example.

Far better, I would say, is to just give up on relying on using English for everyday communications in your new chosen land.

Instead, for example, just learn Thai.  And then, you can write letters home to speak with former friends who have a respectably high command of what we know to be English.  

Don't compromise your English standards.

22 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Sorry:

What I meant to say is that...

The UK is and always was a place from whence all great English flows, only to become corrupted in the former colonies, such as America, Singapore, British Malaya, and Australia, not to mention New Zealand and so many other colonies.

These days, almost everyone around the world is getting on the English bandwagon, just hoping they will be able to speak with the lilt and erudition of Oxford grads, if only they find the right tutor.

Some places, such as Singapore, are instead satisfied to increase their mishmash of what was formerly known as English.

So, the question might be:  Will English become, in the future, no longer one language, but several English languages, each rendition of English mutually unintelligible to speakers of the other form of English?

The answer is definitely, YES.

This is already happening.

So, if you are seeking Golden Years, then I hope you will not spend your time in a land, or former colony, where you find it annoying and difficult to understand the English spoken in such circumstances.  From my perspective, I find it difficult to understand the form of English spoken in India, and also Singapore, and some other thankful colonies.

Maybe you might try places like Bermuda, for example.

Far better, I would say, is to just give up on relying on using English for everyday communications in your new chosen land.

Instead, for example, just learn Thai.  And then, you can write letters home to speak with former friends who have a respectably high command of what we know to be English.  

Don't compromise your English standards.

I have heard it alleged that colonial English is more akin to the English of the 18th or 19th century than that which is spoken in the Home Nations today.  No doubt the second-hand allegation would be more convincing were I to provide a reference, but for now, you will have to accept my word that the rumour or claim exists, and treat it as no less nor more credible than any other circulating gossip, and form your own opinion whether you agree.

I have also heard that Elvis is alive and living on a WW2 bomber on the moon, though that was some years ago, and less likely to be true now than it was then, if such improbability can be imagined or quantified.

Back in the day, neighbouring towns had sufficient difference in accent, dialect and slang that you could recognise your neighbours in a crowd of strangers.  Television has done much more (in my opinion) to dilute that diversity than did radio; indeed local radio may have gone some small way to reinforcing our parochial prejudices.

Anyway, my advice for getting to Nirvana:
- Don't try and turn off the highway; although it passes closely by you can't get to it from there; better to get back down to the earthly plane and start from there; Nirvana looks like one of the fancy Thai massage night club places as you drive past on the highway, but most of the clientele are too late for their final happy ending;
- As mentioned, avoid the stray dogs, who may be hungrier now that burials are no longer in fashion compared to torching in an incinerator; the waiting rooms down by the graveyard where the dogs lurk do not look as luxurious as the incinerator house
- it's a nice ride through the big cemetery, with grand views, but the pub there has closed.  If there is a bar in the Nirvana incinerator building I am not aware of it, nor in the waiting rooms.  Not to worry, it's not far from there to the bright lights of Bukit Bintang, or you could've stopped in a toddy shop next to the international school, where you can get wild boar and iguana on the menu, as well as toddy or Tiger.    

23 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I have heard it alleged that colonial English is more akin to the English of the 18th or 19th century than that which is spoken in the Home Nations today.  No doubt the second-hand allegation would be more convincing were I to provide a reference, but for now, you will have to accept my word that the rumour or claim exists, and treat it as no less nor more credible than any other circulating gossip, and form your own opinion whether you agree.

I have also heard that Elvis is alive and living on a WW2 bomber on the moon, though that was some years ago, and less likely to be true now than it was then, if such improbability can be imagined or quantified.

Back in the day, neighbouring towns had sufficient difference in accent, dialect and slang that you could recognise your neighbours in a crowd of strangers.  Television has done much more (in my opinion) to dilute that diversity than did radio; indeed local radio may have gone some small way to reinforcing our parochial prejudices.

Anyway, my advice for getting to Nirvana:
- Don't try and turn off the highway; although it passes closely by you can't get to it from there; better to get back down to the earthly plane and start from there; Nirvana looks like one of the fancy Thai massage night club places as you drive past on the highway, but most of the clientele are too late for their final happy ending;
- As mentioned, avoid the stray dogs, who may be hungrier now that burials are no longer in fashion compared to torching in an incinerator; the waiting rooms down by the graveyard where the dogs lurk do not look as luxurious as the incinerator house
- it's a nice ride through the big cemetery, with grand views, but the pub there has closed.  If there is a bar in the Nirvana incinerator building I am not aware of it, nor in the waiting rooms.  Not to worry, it's not far from there to the bright lights of Bukit Bintang, or you could've stopped in a toddy shop next to the international school, where you can get wild boar and iguana on the menu, as well as toddy or Tiger.    

Actually, I did read your post about vagaries and dangers involved with mindlessly relying on GPS, which you posted weeks ago, as I recall.

Also, TV, not to mean TV in Thailand, this forum, has been a unifying force, during the past 70 years, ensuring that we are all equally dumbed down, in 2022.  At least, we, in the same country, are speaking with the same accent.

Singaporeans do not speak English, however, as you may or may not agree. They speak a polyglottish English, instead.

======

At least, you have not yet lost your touch.

However, back in the day, you could have easily trumped this post of yours, I dare say.

2 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Sangsom

Mixers

Ice

After 9 years, here in Thailand, I had never heard of Sangsom, which, after googling, turns out to be a Thailand rum spirit.

Is it good?

Can it beat The Real McCoy?

I do not drink spirits.

When I was young, I once had some Wild Turkey, 101.

Probably, the only thing better than LEO is something like Remy Martin, and the most expensive of Remy is definitely worth paying the extra price.

I just wish that I could be afforded a Remy Ration, just as the sailors in the British fleet, back in the day, once had a daily rum ration, for free.

Probably, and in my opinion, cognac is the most beautifully smelling drink. And, for this, you need a snifter, same as with Coke.

I never tried coke, though, years ago, drank much Coke, a habit I stopped years ago, after Coke Light became Coke Zero, and then refused to take the sugar out of coke in Central and South America, due to the diabetes issues, etc.

Still....  There is nothing wrong with a snifter of very expensive cognac.  This is the delight of the gods.

It's strange, because, after reading so many books in my life, and being so old, now. it has turned out that I have lived my life mostly through books.

One other important observation, though, is that:

When the Grim Reaper comes for me, I will be able to look him in the eye.

20 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

After 9 years, here in Thailand, I had never heard of Sangsom, which, after googling, turns out to be a Thailand rum spirit.

Is it good?

Can it beat The Real McCoy?

I do not drink spirits.

When I was young, I once had some Wild Turkey, 101.

Probably, the only thing better than LEO is something like Remy Martin, and the most expensive of Remy is definitely worth paying the extra price.

I just wish that I could be afforded a Remy Ration, just as the sailors in the British fleet, back in the day, once had a daily rum ration, for free.

Probably, and in my opinion, cognac is the most beautifully smelling drink. And, for this, you need a snifter, same as with Coke.

I never tried coke, though, years ago, drank much Coke, a habit I stopped years ago, after Coke Light became Coke Zero, and then refused to take the sugar out of coke in Central and South America, due to the diabetes issues, etc.

Still....  There is nothing wrong with a snifter of very expensive cognac.  This is the delight of the gods.

It's strange, because, after reading so many books in my life, and being so old, now. it has turned out that I have lived my life mostly through books.

One other important observation, though, is that:

When the Grim Reaper comes for me, I will be able to look him in the eye.

sangsom--the gift and the curse..and a possible covid cure--kills all on contact..

• Like 1