Over 23,000 apply for Thailand Pass under ‘Test and Go’ on first day of its resumption

snoop1130

8 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Like to hear what you would say if you ended up in some sort of expensive hospital because you sat near the wrong person on the plane.

I'd say three things: I've had both the vaccine and covid itself so I've got more chance of getting struck by lightning than ending up in hospital; I can afford expensive hospitals; I'm Thai so have healthcare anyway. 

Next question?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Capella said:

I'd say three things: I've had both the vaccine and covid itself so I've got more chance of getting struck by lightning than ending up in hospital; I can afford expensive hospitals; I'm Thai so have healthcare anyway. 

Next question?

Next question coming up. Why do you only care about yourself and no one else?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Next question coming up. Why do you only care about yourself and no one else?

Don't be so ridiculous. I've had all the jabs, wear masks, etc, high immunity (according to the CDC) because I've had covid. If people are scared of catching covid, they're welcome to stay at home.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Capella said:

Don't be so ridiculous. I've had all the jabs, wear masks, etc, high immunity (according to the CDC) because I've had covid. If people are scared of catching covid, they're welcome to stay at home.

Your the one who is being ridiculous pal, and not the sort of person I would want to debate with. Now run along.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

On another thread you ask about the 15k minimum balance for hotel to a poster. They prove it to you and don't respond. You can't even use several email addresses like a Hotmail account with no explanation. Some people have waited weeks to get approved. The sight was hacked........  but you must be perfect.  

It was n't me that asked.

Apology accepted - lol.

20 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

T & G can get for <9K

Which is still quite a lot for an average tourist only staying for a few weeks.

Especially when you consider that for a family, it's per person, and the ramifications of failing the "Day 5 test"

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, VBF said:

Which is still quite a lot for an average tourist only staying for a few weeks.

Especially when you consider that for a family, it's per person, and the ramifications of failing the "Day 5 test"

As i've ( and others ) have stated many times it's not worth it for regular 'tourists' for long stayers it's acceptable.

Everyone has their own agenda.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Marvest said:

I have noticed some are unnecessarily concerned over misinformation posted here.  Some of the misinformation is based on speculation and not actual experience.  I have been through the first Test and Go process and will post my experience.  I am not advocating for the new process.  I understand the added COVID precautions create inconvenience for travelers to Thailand.  

My Experience (original Test and Go):

- I booked 100% refundable one-way air travel, $50K insurance, and qualified hotel.  The Hotel cost about BHT5000 for two for one night and included PCR test, ATK test, ground transportation, and breakfast.

- I applied for or Test and Go approval.  The application was pretty straight forward.  I converted pdf files to jpg files and used a non-Microsoft email account as suggested by this forum.  At completion of the application, I was given a confirmation number that I was able to use to check status and told it would take about seven days to process.

- I took a RT-PCR test two days before departure after confirming acceptable result turnaround time.

Notes:

- Ensuring reservations are refundable is an added hassle.  In my case, I canceled my plane reservations and re-booked after T&G approval.

- Waiting for approval after application made me feel nervous, mainly because of the negative experiences and speculation I read on this forum before booking.

- My application was approved with QR code on the seventh day.  Incidentally, another person in my party applied five days before scheduled travel and it was approved in time.  I assume (but don't know for sure) applications are prioritized by travel date.  Fortunately, I did not experience a system crash.  Side note: I have read here the application system was hacked, but haven't seen official reports.  I think it more likely crashed because of initial pent-up demand.

- Check in process at the airport went as expected.  I was prepared with necessary docs.  I had to show negative PCR test and T&G QR code to check in.  

- My flight was not direct, and I had to transfer to board my flight to Bangkok.  I had to go through the check-in verification process again.  The airport ground staff and facilities were strained, and I had to stand in line for more than an hour.  At least two people ahead of me in line were having trouble because they had not purchased the required $50K insurance.  There was a fair amount of arguing and panic among them.

- On arrival at BKK things went smooth.  There was an extra counter set up before immigration to check for T&G approval and QR code.  I was asked what my seat assignment was on the plane.  I noticed another person could not remember her seat number, but it was inconsequential.  I did not see any denials.

- Immediately after passing through immigration and customs into the arrival hall, there is a big sign board with all the quarantine hotel names on it.  When you point out your hotel, a representative collects you and takes you to the hotel - in my case a mini van.  Upon arrival at the hotel I was tested for for COVID and instructed how to install the Morchana app.  Test results were delivered to the hotel by 10:00 the next morning.  Mine was negative.  I was given a printed copy of the test and allowed to go.

Summary

For me, everything worked as expected.  No doubt it added hassle, expense and nervousness.  The only frustration came when waiting in the long queue to verify docs at the transfer desk.  I imagine most passengers to Thailand will not have to do that.  The nervousness came from fear of being rejected somewhere during the process.  I'm not sure why I feared this except for what I read on this forum.

Test and Go v2 has the added requirement and expense of the fifth day hotel and test.

Opinion

T&G v2 additional hotel and test requirement was a quick overreaction to Omicron.  Omicron seems to have steep case spikes and then goes away quickly.  I expect more changes to reflect the COVID situation as it changes going forward.  Hopefully, it will become less restrictive and costly for tourists in the future.  I believe it will.

The old and new T&G procedures will prevent some folks from traveling to Thailand.  Thailand’s entry requirements are more restrictive than some countries and less restrictive than others.  As it turns out, the countries with the most restrictive entry requirements tend to have the least number of COVID cases.  

That is one example.  Nobody said that everybody get scammed or detained.  There were enough many stories of people sharing a cab or sitting in a vicinity (not well-defined, as usual) of someone who later tested positive and ended up detained for two weeks.  You took your chances and you were lucky.  It doesn't say anything about someone else's luck.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, farangnomore said:

That is one example.  Nobody said that everybody get scammed or detained.  There were enough many stories of people sharing a cab or sitting in a vicinity (not well-defined, as usual) of someone who later tested positive and ended up detained for two weeks.  You took your chances and you were lucky.  It doesn't say anything about someone else's luck.

calculated risk, but yes, I agree

Is this correct?  The new "test and go" procedure requires an incoming person to 

1) have a valid PCR test within 72 hours of departure

2) take a PCR test upon arrival.

3) wait for the result.  This may require an authorized quarantine hotel.

4) If negative, you may go about the country

5) On day 5, report for another PCR test and wait in a controlled area for the result

This doesn't seem like test and go!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, richthai said:

Is this correct?  The new "test and go" procedure requires an incoming person to 

1) have a valid PCR test within 72 hours of departure

2) take a PCR test upon arrival.

3) wait for the result.  This may require an authorized quarantine hotel.

4) If negative, you may go about the country

5) On day 5, report for another PCR test and wait in a controlled area for the result

This doesn't seem like test and go!

3) wait for the result.  This may requires an authorized quarantine hotel.

5) On day 5, report for another PCR test and wait in a controlled area an authorized quarantine hotel for the result

On 2/6/2022 at 2:06 PM, jing jing said:

Has anyone actually received approval yet?  I needed to apply twice to get a confirmation email, and 5 days hence am still under review.

I'll answer my own question: last night got a rejection notice stating the hotel failed to respond within 30 hours; messaged the hotel, and an hour later got an approval without submitting any further documentation.

• Like 1