Why Unvaccinated People Are Being Denied Organ Transplants

Jeffr2

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/why-unvaccinated-people-are-being-denied-organ-transplants

• Experts say there are a number of reasons they prefer organ transplant recipients receive vaccinations against COVID-19 as well as other diseases before surgery.
  • They say a vaccinated person has a better chance of surviving the transplant if they are vaccinated beforehand.
  • They also note that organ transplant recipients are also at higher risk of hospitalization and death from COVID-19 than the general public.
  • Sad 1

Not really reasons to deny transplants though.... unless the no vaccine no transplant rule applies to all vaccines.  I don't understand why people won't get vaccinated though.

Possibly, this is another example how accepted axioms and practices seemed to have been turned upside down by covid, which after all is just one of many viruses.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I believe that when doctors do transplants they need to switch off the persons immune system, so the body doesn't reject the transplanted organ and thats makes the person more susceptible to contracting Covid 

Exactly!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I believe that when doctors do transplants they need to switch off the persons immune system, so the body doesn't reject the transplanted organ and thats makes the person more susceptible to contracting Covid 

What I mean is it makes them susceptible to all manner of diseases.

To elaborate, if it is currently a rule that they won't operate on someone without a flu vaccine either, then ok there is logic here.

But if it's just covid then that doesn't maske sense really.

Especially as Omicron really appears to be less harmful than flu on an individual basis (not communal though).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/why-unvaccinated-people-are-being-denied-organ-transplants

• Experts say there are a number of reasons they prefer organ transplant recipients receive vaccinations against COVID-19 as well as other diseases before surgery.
  • They say a vaccinated person has a better chance of surviving the transplant if they are vaccinated beforehand.
  • They also note that organ transplant recipients are also at higher risk of hospitalization and death from COVID-19 than the general public.

Another one here! Crazy, rather die than get a vaccine, well thats your choice then

‘I will die free’: Unvaccinated Burke County man denied kidney transplant by hospital

BURKE COUNTY, N.C. — A Burke County man’s decision not to receive the COVID-19 vaccine means he also won’t be getting a much-needed kidney transplant.

Chad Carswell, a double amputee who has undergone several major surgeries on his heart, now faces a different battle. Carswell told Channel 9′s Dave Faherty his kidney is only operating at about 4%.

Dialysis three times a week keeps him going, but the solution is temporary.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/i-will-die-free-unvaccinated-burke-county-man-denied-kidney-transplant-by-hospital/OJGAFURR4FGERJB7VT24P5RED4/

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

What I mean is it makes them susceptible to all manner of diseases.

To elaborate, if it is currently a rule that they won't operate on someone without a flu vaccine either, then ok there is logic here.

But if it's just covid then that doesn't maske sense really.

Especially as Omicron really appears to be less harmful than flu on an individual basis (not communal though).

Ridiculous to try and compare the flu with covid. Come on.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Ridiculous to try and compare the flu with covid. Come on.

Quite right, Omicron is really less dangerous on an individual basis.

Your arguments would apply to Delta though, but that is yesterday's variant hopefully.

I think perceptions are really going to be shaped by the experience of your home country.  Mine are shaped by the UK.

What is sure is that Omicron is a game changer though, so the rules that applied even 1 month ago are now totally over the top.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Quite right, Omicron is really less dangerous on an individual basis.

Your arguments would apply to Delta though, but that is yesterday's variant hopefully.

I think perceptions are really going to be shaped by the experience of your home country.  Mine are shaped by the UK.

What is sure is that Omicron is a game changer though, so the rules that applied even 1 month ago are now totally over the top.

Sure, less deadly on an individual basis, but more deadly overall.  More deaths now than at the height of Delta.  And more disruptions.  Thus, Omicron is hardly mild.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Not really reasons to deny transplants though.... unless the no vaccine no transplant rule applies to all vaccines.  I don't understand why people won't get vaccinated though.

Possibly, this is another example how accepted axioms and practices seemed to have been turned upside down by covid, which after all is just one of many viruses.

I have no problem with denying transplants to people for all sorts of reasons. There will probably never be enough donors to satisfy demand, so anything to reduce demand is probably legitimate.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have no problem with denying transplants to people for all sorts of reasons. There will probably never be enough donors to satisfy demand, so anything to reduce demand is probably legitimate.

I don't believe in organ transplants full stop.

There are better ways to use the resources.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I get the feeling that while most people are striving for herd immunity, you are viewing thinning the herd as the way to go.  If that's the case, you might be right, but it might be better for all of us to do so in a more manageable manner.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

A bit heartless for those in dire need.  Like ones with hereditary diseases or those in accidents.  I'd say this is a good way to use the resorces.  Save lives.

• Confused 1

It does help prevent getting the virus.  The key word here is "incidence".

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7105e1.htm?s_cid=mm7105e1_w

As of January 8, 2022, during Omicron predominance, COVID-19 incidence and hospitalization rates in Los Angeles County among unvaccinated persons were 3.6 and 23.0 times, respectively, those of fully vaccinated persons with a booster, and 2.0 and 5.3 times, respectively, those among fully vaccinated persons without a booster. During both Delta and Omicron predominance, incidence and hospitalization rates were highest among unvaccinated persons and lowest among vaccinated persons with a booster.

What are the implications for public health practice?

Being up to date with COVID-19 vaccination is critical to protecting against SARS-CoV-2 infection and hospitalization.