Sharp brand aircon, any experiences?

Crossy

We went shopping on Tuesday for a new A/C for the bedroom, the 11 year old Samsung finally quit (leaky aluminium evaporator apparently).

I went with my own ideas of what we needed - 12,000 BTU, inverter, big name brand.

I was looking at Hitachi etc. of course Madam had other ideas and we ended up with a Sharp XP13YMB which was on offer at 16k with free installation. I'm happy as it was 5-6k cheaper than the Hitachi :whistling:

We have Sharp TVs which have behaved impeccably apart from one which got the wet in it (so hardly the TV's fault).

It was installed yesterday and seems pretty good, very quiet and, subjectively, it cooled the room at least as fast as the (larger) Samsung had.

So anyone had any experiences with Sharp A/C? I know, I know, one should ask before buying, but those who know my lady would understand ...

• Haha 1

I replaced a Sharp aircon due to sound issues . After a while  a wining sound came from the indoor unit . Cleaning did not help the problem , and finding a good resource for fixing was also not ready available ( i did not look too hard ) . I kept it for a couple more years , since the cooling was ok ( and most of the times i sleep with earplugs anyway ) .

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Crossy said:

of course Madam had other ideas and we ended up with a Sharp XP13YMB which was on offer at 16k

Other than price was there any other specific factor for the choice - aesthetics, or..........?

4 minutes ago, topt said:

Other than price was there any other specific factor for the choice - aesthetics, or..........?

Not really. I think she liked the young salesman ???? 

We don't do "features" (the Hitachi was "smartphone compatible" whatever that means), the only buttons we ever use once the outlet position is set are the on/off and temperature controls. Aesthetics, the indoor unit is a beige box that sits on the wall out of most people's eyeline, the outdoor unit is, well, outdoors.

So long as it works and is reasonably reliable (we had a bad experience with a TCL TV so that brand was automatically discounted) that's good for me.

• Thanks 1

I'm quite happy for posts saying Sharp are absolute carp if that's what you found.

After all I bought the ruddy thing, forewarned is forearmed.

Warranty is 3 years plus 10 on the compressor so we should be good for a while. Also remember Madam actually got a refund on our (out of warranty) Samsung washer that Samsung service couldn't fix on a permanent basis (she's worth every penny she spends!! Love her to bits).

No idea about Aircon but the name seems to mean nothing these days. With many things, several brands may share one product.  I was in Lotus a couple of weeks ago buying a new TV.  Normally I stick to Samsung products and that policy has served me well but there were 2 TV's on offer that were 7 - 8000 cheaper that the Samsung.  As I'm not in Thailand full time, I decided that maybe I didn't need the reliability that I've enjoyed with Samsung.  The 2 cheaper brands were Hi-Sense and Sharp - I went home to read a few reviews before deciding.

It turned out that Hi-Sense bought Sharp's TV arm and they were getting pretty good reviews.  The only let downs were in terms of features - which doesn't bother me.  If it works as a TV, that's enough for me. 13,300 for a 55 inch Smart TV is pretty good in my book - hope it doesn't let me down.

I have a 7 day digital timer and recently lost the instructions (its pretty complicated to use).  Doing a Google search I found the same timer under no less than 7 brand names.

So, even though you've bought a Sharp Aircon unit, it may not be a Sharp product.  One thing that's almost certain, it or its constituent parts will most likely be made in China - something that's difficult to avoid.

• Like 1

Sharp is a big, well respected company with a large presence in Thailand and a number of warranty centers. I would not worry about it. If you're going to have a problem it will likely be under warranty.

Is the retailer/installer an authorized dealer?

• Like 1

When we got an AC for our bedroom 16 years ago we got a Sharp. Never had a problem.

A few years ago we changed to a Inverter AC and the Sharp was taken out and fitted in the Wife's Sister's bedroom.

Still going strong.

Edited by Lite Beer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

HomePro, so one would hope so, but TiT so ...

A lot of people talk smack about HomePro but I think they're great. 

I don't get our AC from them, but only because I have a great AC contractor right down the street that does great work and will pretty much match anyone's price. 

Edited by Yellowtail
sp