Neighbor's second hand smoke is driving me nuts.

8 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

LOL.

It's his balcony and condo ( rented or otherwise ), guess he can do what he wants. Unless it's a non smoking condo block entirely.

I also dislike smoking and what you describe sounds like a pain but i'd be surprised if there's anything you can do.

No. He can not do  what he wants. He can't BBQ, for example.

• Like 2

A large oscillating fan or two might help disburse the smoke away from your balcony....If that sign is still in the elevator you might want to take a pic of it to give you an avenue of complaint to follow up on....

Don't be surprised if the sign goes away before your problem does....

The fan idea is the best one, try a standing fan blowing across your balcony front. If it works, ask the landlord for a more permanent fix.

Of course, you could always revert to idea number 2 if that dont work, and pee over the side.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

But he sends his smoke, an irritant and known health issue, to someone else's  balcony. So his actions spread beyond his property. Many countries  now have legislation that recognises this and forbids it.

But he is not intentionally sending his smoke to the balcony above.  I doubt he is breaking any law,  and even if he was would you want to both end up in court just because the farang didn't like me smoking. ?   I wouldn't want to be out anywhere after dark after suing him would you ?     TIT ... it's  not downtown New York or Sydney.  

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

But he is not intentionally sending his smoke to the balcony above.  I doubt he is breaking any law,  and even if he was would you want to both end up in court just because the farang didn't like me smoking. ?   I wouldn't want to be out anywhere after dark after suing him would you ?     TIT ... it's  not downtown New Your or Sydney.  

Don't know what you're  talking about or why you address me. Your comment bears no relevance to my statements.

• Confused 1

This was from November 2020...

While the law in Thailand outlaws smoking in government and office buildings, as well as shopping malls and other public spaces like lobbies and corridors, there is no outright ban on smoking in residential buildings. 

• Like 1

Just now, steven100 said:

This was from November 2020...

While the law in Thailand outlaws smoking in government and office buildings, as well as shopping malls and other public spaces like lobbies and corridors, there is no outright ban on smoking in residential buildings. 

Yes we know.

• Sad 1

I would hang the fan over or under the railing and blow his smoke back into his balcony - 555

But in reality TIT , the fan idea seems simple and should work IMO

Legal actions can take forever, are costly, and may not work anyway if no enforcement is followed up

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DowntownAl said:

That's probably my main complaint. If I go to a bar or other public place and a smoker irritates me I get up a leave, find another spot. But in this case it's my home. I don't use or affect his space but he diminishes mine.

You have had the correct answer.. it's his property, renter or owner..

A lawyer will tell you the same.

Edited by bobbin
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

If he's an AirBnB renter he's illegal and that's a matter for your juristic  person and management committee

AirBnB is legal for rentals of 30+ days unless strictly prohibited by the condo.

Edited by Ohyesuare
  • Thanks 1