Neighbor's second hand smoke is driving me nuts.

22 hours ago, connda said:

I lived in an apartment once where the family below were from India.  The smell of Indian curry was a constant, very strong smell.
So what should I have done?  Knocked on the neighbor's door and ask him to please stop cooking his cultural food because I don't like the smell?

If you chose to live in very close proximity with other people - you have to accept their individual differences unless there is a stated rule, regulation, or bylaw.  And you should understand those before renting. 
You're providing everyone with a really good reason why people who enjoy their privacy and don't like intrusions should not live in an apartment, condo, or townhouse. 

The guy is a smoker.  It's his right to smoke in his home unless it against a law or condo regulation, just like if the people with an ethnicity different from you and they cook ethnic food which has a smell you don't like. 

The smell of Indian curry is not a carcinogen

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

« At present, condominium residents are only allowed to smoke inside their rooms, while smoking on balconies is prohibited.  The ministerial announcement will go into effect in the next four months and those violating the law will be fined Bt2,000 each.»

https://seatca.org/thailand-number-of-smoke-free-areas-expanded-2/

Is that 2,000B per cigarette, or a cumulative fine over time? I think I am correct in saying the police need a warrant to enter your condo to check if you are smoking on the balcony. Good luck with that lads.

Funny must have been a month or so ago a French speaking couple moved in to the condo below. They were so terribly rude making silly and loud comments every time I fired one up. As if their cooking wasn't annoying for other residents. Suffice to say they are gone and I'm still here puffing away merrily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

« At present, condominium residents are only allowed to smoke inside their rooms, while smoking on balconies is prohibited.  The ministerial announcement will go into effect in the next four months and those violating the law will be fined Bt2,000 each.»

https://seatca.org/thailand-number-of-smoke-free-areas-expanded-2/

As before, that does not confirm a law was enacted, only that it was expected in the next 4 months from the article being written.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

OP

If you are so easily offended by the actions of somebody having a cigarette ( which he has every  right to do ), why are you living in a Concrete Box where you are obliged to tolerate others that live within close proximity of you.

Move to the Countryside, in Nakom Nowhere, or some such place, and build a Bunker to hunker down it.

Is that where you live....?  ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Guess I hit a nerve....

So I'm guessing you're a three-shots, two-masks and a face-shield afraid to go outside kind of guy. yes? 

How long do you quarantine your groceries before you wipe them down with alcohol and scrub your hands?

Mask I  use out  of respect for the Thais who use them, and Also for my gf and her family. 

Simple as that. 

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

It is all about common sense, nothing else.

If there is a non smoking condomenium, dont smoke, if thats the rule, and in Thailand you can not smoke on your balcony. Easy as that

You keep on about this but you have yet to pinpoint the law or the ruling that smoking is forbidden. Perhaps it is, perhaps it isn't. Is it a national law, a provincial law, down to the owner of the condominium or something else.

Please try to find out as this thread is getting very boring.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, billd766 said:

You keep on about this but you have yet to pinpoint the law or the ruling that smoking is forbidden. Perhaps it is, perhaps it isn't. Is it a national law, a provincial law, down to the owner of the condominium or something else.

Please try to find out as this thread is getting very boring.

I guess as tiring as those who advocate balcony is a private space in a condominium and can do what they want?

Is it regarded as private, public or open space? 

Do you know the smoking law in Thailand? Is it effective? 

I guess you find the answer in the middle or between.

If I rent an apartment and specific, where they say it is a non smoking condonemium? What then? 

If the rule say quiet after 11 in the evening, do you expect it to be quiet or noisy?

Edited by Hummin

Unbelievable ! People living in elevated  accommodations  sucking in  contaminated air  complain about a small identifiable  factor of it emminating from an identifiable source ! At street level  unless wearing a positive  pressure  helmet and breathing  purified air the intake is far  more potentially  dangerous . Sadly the  hype  associated with  "second  hand cigarette  smoke" i9s designed to distract from the  greater fact ! And it would not surprise me  that in a moment of honesty it  could be learned  that the op  is from a  "reformed" ex smoker !

Your "lead free" petrol and  your  ever fresh chemicalized  vegetables are  killing you  quicker than the distant  whiff of  tobacco  products that are subsidizing the  health costs of those other poisons  due to grotesque  tax impositions !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

Unbelievable ! People living in elevated  accommodations  sucking in  contaminated air  complain about a small identifiable  factor of it emminating from an identifiable source ! At street level  unless wearing a positive  pressure  helmet and breathing  purified air the intake is far  more potentially  dangerous . Sadly the  hype  associated with  "second  hand cigarette  smoke" i9s designed to distract from the  greater fact ! And it would not surprise me  that in a moment of honesty it  could be learned  that the op  is from a  "reformed" ex smoker !

Your "lead free" petrol and  your  ever fresh chemicalized  vegetables are  killing you  quicker than the distant  whiff of  tobacco  products that are subsidizing the  health costs of those other poisons  due to grotesque  tax impositions !

But all those other things don't smell as bad as cigarette smoke

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

well said. i second everything

34 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I guess as tiring as those who advocate balcony is a private space in a condominium and can do what they want?

Is it regarded as private, public or open space? 

Do you know the smoking law in Thailand? Is it effective? 

I guess you find the answer in the middle or between.

If I rent an apartment and specific, where they say it is a non smoking condonemium? What then? 

If the rule say quiet after 11 in the evening, do you expect it to be quiet or noisy?

Q I guess as tiring as those who advocate balcony is a private space in a condominium and can do what they want?

A The balcony is a part of the apartment and as such is private.

Q Do you know the smoking law in Thailand? Is it effective?

A I have no idea as I quit smoking 52 years ago, nor do I live in a condo.

Q If I rent an apartment and specific, where they say it is a non smoking condominium? What then?

A Then you simply don't smoke there. If you want to smoke in your apartment or on the balcony, buy a condo that permits it.

Q If the rule say quiet after 11 in the evening, do you expect it to be quiet or noisy?

A I would expect it to be quiet, However I don't live in a condo but in rural Thailand.

My neighbour has a resort and there is a party going on tonight which will probably wrap up by about 1am. I don't bother to complain as it only happens about once a month. I learned to live with it even though when we built here there were no houses within 500 metres either side. Now you cannot get a cigarette paper between the properties.

5 hours ago, treetops said:

As before, that does not confirm a law was enacted, only that it was expected in the next 4 months from the article being written.

I have just read that bit and the Minister for Public Health at the time was Public Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit.

I then did a search for him on Wikipedia and found that he was indeed the Minister of Health during the time that the Democrat party was In office.
15 January 2010 – 8 August 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurin_Laksanawisit

That gives a target time of some 18 months to see if it actually made it through all the stages into a law.

If it did then somebody may be able to find it and quote the specific act, bearing in mind that if it was not gazetted it did not become a law.

Edited by billd766
Bad spelling

14 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Obviously there will be some ignorant and selfish people but I think on the whole most smokers are considerate.  I would also like to point out to our non smoking brethren that between cigarettes, smokers also like to breath clean air. I for one am happy that smoking indoors at bars and restaurants etc. is largely banned now - I also enjoy clean air.

In this case the smoker is using the balcony and a cigarette lasts what - 5 minutes?  Unless his neighbour is an absolute chain smoker, I think he's become to fixated on the issue - like many non smokers who turn molehills into mountains.

True example, I was sitting at an 'outside' bar in Sukhumvit a few years ago. I had specifically moved to one of the outside tables to have a cigarette.  A guy at the next table asked me if I would mind not smoking - I did mind and asked him if he'd mind sitting inside. The point being though, that at the same time there was a BBQ cart parked right outside the bar and every time the vendor added new fuel, smoke was everywhere but nobody said anything, including the guy asking me to stop.

I think that sometimes these issues are not so much about offensive smoke - they are raised by people who are total anti-smoking.  Even if a smokeless cigarette was invented, they would complain because smoke is not the real issue.  What they really want it to impose their views on other people.

Quote 1- "I for one am happy that smoking indoors at bars and restaurants etc. is largely banned now - I also enjoy clean air."

You enjoy clean air but you inhale poison for some 10 minutes many times a day, a poison known to reduce life by bout 10 years.

Quote 2- "In this case the smoker is using the balcony and a cigarette lasts what - 5 minutes?"

Having to smell cigarette smoke, particularly in Thailand, where they get tobacco so stinky that it makes 5 minutes feels soooo long. Same as for cheap perfumes sold here, having to smell that for 5 minutes, d-mn.

BBQ, nobody I know calls that smell offensive.

Quote 3- "A guy at the next table asked me if I would mind not smoking - I did mind and asked him if he'd mind sitting inside."

So here you are saying that it is the person who has the bad stinky habit who should be entitled to dictate to others where they can and should sit to enjoy a meal.

Quote 4-"I think that sometimes these issues are not so much about offensive smoke - they are raised by people who are total anti-smoking.  Even if a smokeless cigarette was invented, they would complain because smoke is not the real issue.  What they really want it to impose their views on other people"

This one here is priceless.

And very wrong. I remember seeing lots of smoke coming from a table, while having lunch at a restaurant. I quickly thought, not again, I will not be able to smell and enjoy my nice dish. And then no smell, nothing. I went to see the guy, and told him that his vaping was great, no smell. But we know that vaping is bad for the individual vaping, but the danger is contained to only one set of lungs hehe.

And then you say that "What they really want is to impose their views on other people"

But you do not blink an eye when you impose your views on others, such as controlling where they can sit to enjoy their meal in a restaurant.

Regards

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Smokers have no idea as to how offensive they are.

When someone would smoke in a restaurant whilst I was eating, if they refused to desist, I would ask them if they would like it if I released bodily gases in their faces whilst they were eating.

It's just a matter of common courtesy. If you don't wish to take note of common courtesy, don't be too surprised when someone chooses the same path and doesn't care about you.

In those days I would simply carry a fine water spray. If they didn't listen to reason, their cigarette would be extinguished and we would carry on eating in peace. I don't go to a restaurant to eat cigarette flavoured food.

The decent people would simply hold off on their cigarette until we finished eating.

Likewise, I don't choose to live by the sea so that I can breathe in cigarette smoke; I'm there for the sea air. If someone spoils that enjoyment, it's an issue.

If it's just the odd one a couple of times a day, I can tolerate that. A regular smoker needs to be more considerate.

But talk to them. Give them a chance to remedy the situation, before reporting them. Reporting them before giving them that opportunity is not being a good neighbour.

I think it best that we condominiums that allow smoking and condominiums that do not, that way people can choose.

Same with bars and restaurants. Owners that want to allow smoking should allow smoking and those that don't want to allow smoking should not allow smoking, again, giving people a choice. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think it best that we condominiums that allow smoking and condominiums that do not, that way people can choose.

Same with bars and restaurants. Owners that want to allow smoking should allow smoking and those that don't want to allow smoking should not allow smoking, again, giving people a choice. 

The choice is communicate and be considerate of one another. It's the lack of consideration that enrages people, not so much the smoking.

No restaurant owner wants to hurt his business by excluding customers. Nor would a condo developer. 

I might like to listen to my music robustly, but I have neighbours and I must consider them. 

There's a good chance that the OP's neighbour had no idea there was a problem. Reporting him is only likely to get his back up and him to dig his heels in. He has a habit, possibly linked to stress. So how is adding stress to his life going to help? Is total humiliation the goal?

Communicate pleasantly in the first instance. Then he might feel so bad about disturbing you that he is willing to try something different.

Shout at him or scold him and you'll both be upset and possibly angry.

23 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Quite easy on restaurants to spot those who allow to smoke or not. When we see ash trays on the table, we useally find another one to eat at, but not so easy when we did a preebooking. 

My gf hate smoke, I mean really hate smoke, so she useally take care of the matter if we eat breakfest some place, and someone lit up a smoke next to us. Smoke and breakfest do not mix good for me either.