Neighbor's second hand smoke is driving me nuts.

Ahh, the trial and tribulations of living in Thailand.
I've installed good doors and windows in the house and have air filtration when we need it. 
The problem with pushing a issue like burning with your neighbor is that you may end up being the next AseanNow story about a farang murdered with a machete or revolver by some poor misunderstood Thai man who the evil farang made to "lose face."

Also the guy is smoking outside on his patio which - unless smoking in the building is against condo rules - would be his right.  Suggestion?  When your contract is up, rent a house with enough land around it so that you have security in numbers but not so close that you don't have privacy.

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

Slip a kindly worded anonymous note under the door. AirBNB tenant probably doesn't have a clue the smoking is bothering adjacent units. You also might want to try contacting owner of unit to see if they can specify no smoking in unit (including balcony) in AirBNB listing.

Edited by Gecko123

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

LOL.

It's his balcony and condo ( rented or otherwise ), guess he can do what he wants. Unless it's a non smoking condo block entirely.

I also dislike smoking and what you describe sounds like a pain but i'd be surprised if there's anything you can do.

Same as so-called pets who are not only allowed to mix with the disease ridden Soi dogs and yes someone mentioned well this is Thailand and not one but in the past 2 dogs barking at all hours of the night for a long time and no one bothering to come out.
Yes people seem to care more about the dogs than  human beings and yeah one could mention it but they do as they please but when it disturbs sleep it is not on.

No there is no option for you at all and yes one side the property is attached and sometimes a rattling on the metal back door and the wall can do something and just saying!!!

3 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

As stated before get a fan and stop making a big deal of it. TIT baby.

Well good job you don't  live in a proper Thai  village where the 99.9 per cent are wonderful people and the burning season.

8 minutes ago, connda said:

I lived in an apartment once where the family below were from India.  The smell of Indian curry was a constant, very strong smell.
So what should I have done?  Knocked on the neighbor's door and ask him to please stop cooking his cultural food because I don't like the smell?

If you chose to live in very close proximity with other people - you have to accept their individual differences unless there is a stated rule, regulation, or bylaw.  And you should understand those before renting. 
You're providing everyone with a really good reason why people who enjoy their privacy and don't like intrusions should not live in an apartment, condo, or townhouse. 

The guy is a smoker.  It's his right to smoke in his home unless it against a law or condo regulation, just like if the people with an ethnicity different from you and they cook ethnic food which has a smell you don't like. 

Food smell is not the same as some guy sit and smoke 30 cigarettes on his balcony a day at his balcony, especially prime time morning and evening. I hate it, and as a non smoker we had to put with involuntary smoking in public spaces for a long time before it was not allowed anymore. Who was wining then when it was forbidden? Even at airplanes we had to put up with smokers set the rules.

BTW, smoking on balconies is illegal in Thailand by law!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Simple. Chase him off.

You live above him so why not go to war and become "the neighbor from hell."

GOOGLE :

"how to get revenge on a bad neighbor"

"how do I get a neighbor evicted"

"how to make a neighbor move out"

"how to make it look like an accident"

"how to <deleted> off the neighbor"

"play the Gilligan Island theme song real loud 24/7"

"how to make the neighbor think I'm a dangerous psycho"

Edited by LarrySR
  • Haha 1

For this exact reason I've rented a condo with no smoking policy. 

One thing you have to look out for renting a condo is the management, as you said some juristic offices don't take things seriously. 

I'm living in a condo now with no pets and the juristic office has sued the person living with a pet into the condo. Management has been good. 

You could try asking the juristic office to fine the person, if your juristic office does that, if he doesn't own the unit you could ask the juristic office to contact the landlord. 

About 10yrs ago on the floor below me in my condo there was a Japanese guy who used to lean out the window every time he smoked a ciggy, never used his balcony, my wife one day was complaining to me about this, so I filled a big bucket of water as he lent out of the window I tipped it on his head, problem solved.

Edited by roo860

33 minutes ago, Hummin said:

BTW, smoking on balconies is illegal in Thailand by law!

If true, then the OP would have cause to file a complaint with the police.  So OP!  There ya go!  But I think I'd want Hummin to supply the link to the Thai law before heading to the cop-shop in case that statement, "smoking on balconies is illegal in Thailand by law!", isn't necessarily true.  Best to have a written copy of the law in your hand before proceeding down that route. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

You live in a city with major air quality problems but complain about someone smoking?

I'm always a little surprised by people who complain about a little second hand smoke but live somewhere with pollution so bad that it can burn your nose and throat and make you cough.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm always a little surprised by people who complain about a little second hand smoke but live somewhere with pollution so bad that it can burn your nose and throat and make you cough.

Yeah, like in Chiang Mai when the Air Quality Index is PM 2.5 300+ ppm.
There are bars I'd go to in Chiang Mai back in the day - and people would smoke at the tables outside and that smoke would waiff its way inside.  But - I know it's a smoking bar.  If it get too bad I go elsewhere.
Now second hand smoke vs the AQI 300+ ppm is so bad you can't see Doi Suthep?  Second-hand smoke pales in comparison.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, connda said:

If true, then the OP would have cause to file a complaint with the police.  So OP!  There ya go!  But I think I'd want Hummin to supply the link to the Thai law before heading to the cop-shop in case that statement, "smoking on balconies is illegal in Thailand by law!", isn't necessarily true.  Best to have a written copy of the law in your hand before proceeding down that route. 

I already did post the link in a previous post

According to the Public Health Ministry's announcement on February 27, smoking would be prohibited inside all public buildings, apart from open-air areas. ... At present, condominium residents are only allowed to smoke inside their rooms, while smoking on balconies is prohibited.

https://seatca.org/thailand-number-of-smoke-free-areas-expanded-2/#:~:text=According to the Public Health,apart from open-air areas.&text=At present%2C condominium residents are,smoking on balconies is prohibited.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thujone said:

In a Nanny State, there would be a law against this, but TIT.

Install a couple of oscillating fans for use while he's smoking, that should do the trick.

Life is short, allow him to enjoy making his life shorter.

You are confused about 'Nanny state legislation '

Laws designed to protect people from 'themselves' are potentially Nanny State Laws.

But Laws to protect people from 'other people' as with secondary  smoke inhalation are not Nanny state Laws.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DowntownAl said:

That's what I want to find out before spending money on a lawyer.

A lawyer? Do you know anything about living in Thailand?!? Your best bet is to suck it up and move on when your lease expires...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

I lived in an apartment once where the family below were from India.  The smell of Indian curry was a constant, very strong smell.
So what should I have done?  Knocked on the neighbor's door and ask him to please stop cooking his cultural food because I don't like the smell?

If you chose to live in very close proximity with other people - you have to accept their individual differences unless there is a stated rule, regulation, or bylaw.  And you should understand those before renting. 
You're providing everyone with a really good reason why people who enjoy their privacy and don't like intrusions should not live in an apartment, condo, or townhouse. 

The guy is a smoker.  It's his right to smoke in his home unless it against a law or condo regulation, just like if the people with an ethnicity different from you and they cook ethnic food which has a smell you don't like. 

Just to put a bit of humor in this hehe.

A German couple used to go at the same restaurant as me and my friend.

One day, I get to the entrance, and the woman was smoking, one of those stinky ones. So I wait patiently for her to finish her cigarette.

When she did finish, I moved in and sat at a table. At which time she lit up again. So i made it clear to her that this was real annoying to me. But I think that this couple already knew that. So the reason why the old lady lit up again.

So I also started telling her that I did wait for her to finish her cigarette before I came in, and asked her why she did not just wait also for me to finish my meal before she lit up again.

The husband, who did not smoke, answered that that there was no sign on the walls indicating that people could not smoke here.

I stood up, walked to their table, pointed at the wall against their table and said; :"There is no sign here that says that I cannot <deleted> on your table, but I have enough education to not to do so".

Well, they were not pleased, to say the least.

So it is a matter of education. If one has a filthy stinky habit, this person should do the utmost to keep it contained..

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, roo860 said:

About 10yrs ago on the floor below me in my condo there was a Japanese guy who used to lean out the window every time he smoked a ciggy, never used his balcony, my wife one day was complaining to me about this, so I filled a big bucket of water as he lent out of the window I tipped it on his head, problem solved.

This is why it is a war and people get killed. It just takes a nice calm visit to the neighbour and ask politely! Usually that will do the thing, and if not and you find out he is a psycho, you will know you should not topp a bucket at his head. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1