Mailing small packet to US from Thailand...there must be a cheaper way than Thai Post ???

WaveHunter

I have small packets I need to mail to a bunch of people in the US.  The packets are padded envelopes measuring only 152 mm x 126 mm (6X9 inch) and weighing only 50 grams each, yet cheapest postal rate to the States by ThaiPost is 990 THB.  Anybody know of a more reasonable way?  I mean, to send the same package form the US to Thailand is only the equivalent of 165 THB.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

I have been caught like this with sending a letter to the UK, said something about not many flights and covid, as the letter had to go I sent it, around 800 baht. But I have found if I go to another main post office I can send at the normal rate. So I suggest you check out anoher post office. You may find it is the normal price.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Use a small box, don't seal the box with tape, just secure it with string, this is what I've used for many years, thousands of times, and you will be charged the normal price. The reason for this - which was explained to me by post office staff - is that a sealed envelope is classed as a letter, which is priced higher, whereas an unsealed box is classed as a small package, and is priced lower. 

I've got no idea for the logic behind this, but it works. It may be a relic from the olden days of post offices which has clung on here in this oddball country. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was told a few weeks ago by one Post Office that packages to the US can only be sent by courier, completely incorrect (and the 'suggested' rate was R2,150). Went to another post office and posted for R990 (airmail), without any problems. And yes, overseas shipping has become very expensive via Thai Post. Will no longer do it but post overseas, not worth it. 

Funny thing though? If I post in Germany via Deutsche Post / DHL to the US, the cost is a third, the new rates by Thai Post are a complete rip off.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, UTH001 said:

Was told a few weeks ago by one Post Office that packages to the US can only be sent by courier, completely incorrect (and the 'suggested' rate was R2,150). Went to another post office and posted for R990 (airmail), without any problems. And yes, overseas shipping has become very expensive via Thai Post. Will no longer do it but post overseas, not worth it. 

Funny thing though? If I post in Germany via Deutsche Post / DHL to the US, the cost is a third, the new rates by Thai Post are a complete rip off.

They are indeed a rip-off, they've increased B70 on a sub-100g package just this year, compared to December prices! 

Here's a recent post office receipt of mine(ignore the circled item, that was for a UK customer), showing the price of a 72g & 236g small package, the 72g package cost just B290 last year, it's now B360. 

1809793012_4.2.22HEATHER.thumb.jpg.7f2593c495f05a71e8bce56981c5f060.jpg

15 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I sent a letter recorded delivery to my bank in the Isle of Man last month, it cost me 125 Baht. 

I posted it in Hua Hin on the 19th Feb, it was handed over to the air carrier on the 22nd and arrived in London 1st Feb, it was delivered in the IoM on 3rd.

I think you mean posted on the 19th of January ?

For a couple of months it was indeed 990 Baht to the US if the package was under 50 grams. If you added a little weight and got it over 50 grams, the cost came down to 325 Baht. Since the start of Covid, prices have been going up and up. I sent a number of packages the other day; several to the US (now up to 360 Baht from 325). The clerk said that the Covid surcharge is the highest to the USA than any other country. I also had a small package around 70 grams to Belgium and it was the same thing; around 700 Baht for Airmail or 390 Baht for e-Packet but only 1000 Baht insurance and no signature. Someone mentioned small-packet rate: Good luck getting that rate. We have tried at about 4 different post offices and they always say "not available" regardless of the destination.

44 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

They are indeed a rip-off, they've increased B70 on a sub-100g package just this year, compared to December prices! 

Here's a recent post office receipt of mine(ignore the circled item, that was for a UK customer), showing the price of a 72g & 236g small package, the 72g package cost just B290 last year, it's now B360. 

1809793012_4.2.22HEATHER.thumb.jpg.7f2593c495f05a71e8bce56981c5f060.jpg

Epkt wouldve been cheaper !

12 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

Perhaps, but you can be sure whatever you're sending will reach its intended destination promptly. A couple of years ago I sent an important document from Bangkok to San Francisco by regular mail. Apparently, it went from Bangkok to Hong Kong, to Los Angeles, to San Francisco-----where it disappeared down the black hole of Calcutta and was never seen again. A few days later I sent a copy of that same document by DHL and it was on the desk of the individual it was sent to within 30 hours. Also, when I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area I used the U.S. Postal Service two times to deliver similar documents and each time there was a snafu and delivery time in both cases was about two weeks, when it should have been less than 48 hours. Bottom-line, if you want to be absolutely certain that your mail, parcels, documents are delivered, then avoid any dealings with the U.S. Postal Service, they are incompetent.

Its sometimes the only thing available.

For me in Issan I had to send an expensive watch for repairs.

Thaipost wouldn't send it, small battery in it.

I had to drive to Udon Thani DSL.  It was almost 2,700 baht.

No choice.

Watch was fixed anyhow.

Pitfalls of living in Issan.

Sometimes cheaper to send gifts from the intended recipients home country using Amazon.

Edited by MrJ2U

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

For a couple of months it was indeed 990 Baht to the US if the package was under 50 grams. If you added a little weight and got it over 50 grams, the cost came down to 325 Baht. Since the start of Covid, prices have been going up and up. I sent a number of packages the other day; several to the US (now up to 360 Baht from 325). The clerk said that the Covid surcharge is the highest to the USA than any other country. I also had a small package around 70 grams to Belgium and it was the same thing; around 700 Baht for Airmail or 390 Baht for e-Packet but only 1000 Baht insurance and no signature. Someone mentioned small-packet rate: Good luck getting that rate. We have tried at about 4 different post offices and they always say "not available" regardless of the destination.

That's insane LOL...less weight = more cost ??? Only in Thailand would that make sense!  Their entire website is absurd.  When you click on EN for English language, many of the menu items are still in Thai.  So, if you click on the CALCULATE FEE link, you get 3 options all written in Thai. 

929617420_ScreenShot2022-02-05at10_57_31AM.jpg.4f4fa7523bd0a55f0adf75a8b2c5596c.jpg

I checked each one, and the lowest price was 990 THB for 50 grams. 

Today when I look, it has changed and is now showing

• epacket at 285 THB...OR
  • Intn'l Small Packet-Air at 195 THB.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two??  It's impossible to find any description in their site.  I mean, how hard would it be to put an hotlink on each option so you could see more information?

This website even makes Thai Immigration's website look like a well organized site.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pungdo said:

Not sure where you got 990 baht from, Int’l Small Packet-Air is only 195 baht. I priced up sending a coffee mug to the states, now that is expensive when it is going to cost around 7 times the cost of the mug @ 690 baht.

https://www.thailandpost.co.th/un/rate_result_nrs/?service_id=&to_country_code=US%3A%3AUnited+States+of+America&parcel_weight=50

Screen Shot 02-05-22 at 08.44 AM.JPG

Thanks for this! I actually used that link yesterday and nothing showed up that was below 990 THB.  Now when I recheck today I see:

ePacket for 285 THB

OR

Intn'l Small Packet-Air 195 THB

Can anyone explain the difference between these two options?

• Since ThaiPost sure doesn't provide much info at all!, I did find an archived thread on ThaiVisa discussing a little more about ePacket vs ISP-A.:  Someone mentioned something that alluded to epackets can be sealed with tape, but Intn'l Small Packet-Air can only be secured with string???  

As absurd as that sounds, could that be the only difference?  

If this was just a one time deliver, I would not be fussing but I will have hundreds of these small packets containing product samples to deliver to clients in the US, Japan, and the EU over the next 6 months and need a reliable, relatively fast, and cost effective means of delivery...that is not going to drive me crazy and frustrated (which seems to be the case with anything bureaucratic here in the Magic Kingdom).

In China I know that epacket is how most AliExpress merchants deliver merchandise.  Should I just assume the same is true here in the Magic Kingdom?

Any online merchants here who can provide more on using ePacket efficiently.  That would be much appreciated!

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 10.57.31 AM.jpg

I have hundreds of product samples (50 gram weight) that will need to be delivered over the next six months to clients in the US, Japan, and the EU.  I am having a real hard time getting useable information from Thai Post (from their website and in person) since I do not speak or reads Thai.

I know that in China, most online merchants selling to the US use ePacket, which seems to be cheap, reliable and fairly fast.  I wonder if the same is true here in Thailand?  And if it is, I need to figure out how to use it effectively.

If there is anyone else who regularly uses ePacket for commercial use, any advice you could offer would be appreciated.

Like, for instance, are there ways to streamline the process if you have batches of packet to send out at once?  Is there a way to avoid trips to the post office (i.e.: they pick up), what forms are involved such as for destination country customs (all shipments are samples so no commercial value), is there online tracking, etc.?

Thanks

Wavehunter

PS:   I guess since I used the keyword "Thai Post" it triggered an ad from Thai Post which is now showing up on my post.  It's pretty funny that they are posting an Ad entirely written in Thai to an obviously English-speaking audience here on Asean Now...THAT is the problem I have trying to get any useable information from them...they LOVE using InfoGraphics that do not translate LOL!!!

Edited by WaveHunter

Epacket is reliable from Thailand to almost anywhere they deliver EXCEPT USA and Canada and that criminal organization USPS and Canada Post where they simply don't bother to scan package during final delivery.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Epacket is reliable from Thailand to almost anywhere they deliver EXCEPT USA and Canada and that criminal organization USPS and Canada Post where they simply don't bother to scan package during final delivery.

Can you explain the significance of your comment?  Same thing often  happens with all carriers like FedEx or DHL in my experience and boils down to lazy driver who doesn't submit scans until end of the day.  OR, are you saying there are actual non-delivery issues? 

Edited by WaveHunter