Have you made as many male friends as you thought you would?

Grecian

When I worked in Bangkok I had many expat and Thai male friends some of whom still keep in touch even though I retired to Pattaya 13 years ago. Here my friends have come about through playing music - both Thai and expat musicians - with just a few others met while out around my area.

made a few burmese friends here and found close ones very trust worthy, one i loaned money too when he was in dire straights and another brit friend and his thai wife said... you will never get it back, he came and said sorry he did,nt have the money to pay me back a few times, low and behold i never even had to ask, he came around with cash in hand and a bag of leos some months later.

I made friends mostly through work.

I guess one reason is that when you work with someone together you find out pretty soon how well you can communicate with each other. And it doesn't take long to get an idea if the other person does what he talks about or if he only talks (a lot).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Same here, I don't advertise my presence, keep myself to myself, have no interest in making friends although I'm sure there are plenty of nice people posting here daily.

Don't you like to have a friend nearby who you can talk to and who understands you and living in Thailand?

I think any friend who is not living in Thailand can't possibly understand lots of situations which happen only in Thailand. 

• Like 1

I didn't come to Thailand to make a bunch of BFF's.  I happened to get married.  My life revolves around my family - not a bunch of BFF guys.  ❤️???? 
I pity those who live vicariously through their friends and acquaintances.  Ya'll must be seriously lonely at the end of the day.  Sad.  I prefer my pack of dogs and my cat for companionship.  That and my family. 

"What did you come to Thailand for?"
To make guy friends!  And you?
"Nope!" <smiles; turns and starts a conversation with a couple of Thai gals>

Edited by connda
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've noticed Thai people only allow relatives and neighbours in their homes.

And even that's dangerous when Sonny-Jim goes berserk and <beats, shoots, machetes, hacks> mummy or daddy to death from not coughing up Yaba money or the keys to the family motorcycle.

I have male friends in thailand.Thai and foreigners.Anyway i learned whos real real friends.

I meet "friends"who want to borrow money(thai/foreigners)I meet "friends" who like my lady and try to get my lady number.(she hate that)I had about 20 friends from norway in thailand.Now only 2 real friends.Me and them sometimes travel together with our ladies.We live in different places,about 3-400 km away.Everytime we meet we have a great time together.Their my friends many years.

31 minutes ago, connda said:

Ya'll must be seriously lonely at the end of the day.  Sad.  I prefer my pack of dogs and my cat for companionship. 

???? What was that about sad?

Find the responses to this topic quite strange and revealing. Didn’t expect anything going to Thailand and certainly not looking for mates, but have more there than my own country for sure, including Thais—though helps if you can speak some. Guessing many that have responded are retired (of the boomer variety—gawd) and exist hunkered away in a village somewhere. 
Whatever floats your boat but that’s not all of us. I’ll go against the somewhat morose trend here and say yes, men and women, Thai and farang. 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Many of us have learned not to let anyone know where we live.

I've noticed Thai people only allow relatives and neighbours in their homes.

Why should it be a problem if our friends know where we live? I have to admit I am not much of a "lets meet in my or your place" guy. When I see my friends we mostly meet in a restaurant. But the few people who I call "friends" know where I live and I would let them in anytime. They are my friends, I trust them.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, connda said:

I didn't come to Thailand to make a bunch of BFF's.  I happened to get married.  My life revolves around my family - not a bunch of BFF guys.  ❤️???? 
I pity those who live vicariously through their friends and acquaintances.  Ya'll must be seriously lonely at the end of the day.  Sad.  I prefer my pack of dogs and my cat for companionship.  That and my family. 

"What did you come to Thailand for?"
To make guy friends!  And you?
"Nope!" <smiles; turns and starts a conversation with a couple of Thai gals>

What is the problem of having family and friends?

And if there is anything you don't want to discuss with your wife or family who do you talk to?

• Like 1

I borrow alot of money to "friends"Yesterday my mother get barried 6 foot on the ground.I have 5 kids with 3 different mothers.All showed up in furneral.Sad day.Anyway one of my former brother in law owed me about 60.000 US.I waiting 10 years.I never told my ex about this.She get so angry.Im happy that he called me now and told me he transferd it now.As we speak i get it.Afer iget a accident offshore and get millions of US i jus borrowed alot to folks.My mother left alot of money in her savings accounts and alot of land and properties.We will sell it all.We agree with my uncle.HE buy it all.Price???About 4 million US.So today i gave my lady 2 million bath.Crazy???maybe, but i dont care.I have never ever tell her about this.We have a happy life long time allready where my money is no an issue.We allways managed to stay safe and happy together.She ge a blackout today.he-he

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why should it be a problem if our friends know where we live? I have to admit I am not much of a "lets meet in my or your place" guy. When I see my friends we mostly meet in a restaurant. But the few people who I call "friends" know where I live and I would let them in anytime. They are my friends, I trust them.

It's a Thai thing....None of our Thai neighbors or friends bring people into their house - while our western/mixed friends do..... The Thais all have outside tables in a covered area & visit with guests there....

Inside the house, apparently, seems to be a western tradition.....

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I just read all the posts in this thread and I am surprised that so few people have friends or even want friends.

I never searched actively for friends or try to become friends with this or that guy. It just happens over time. Let's have a coffee or lunch and talk to each other, maybe do some hobby together and maybe visit each other at home. It's nice to have friends to talk about anything and friends we can trust.

I.e. if I would be sick in a hospital and maybe my gf would also be in a hospital (i.e. an accident together), I am sure I could call a few friends and ask them to visit my home and bring me something or take care of something at home. I am also sure they would visit me and maybe bring me things I like and maybe give me some company in the hospital.

This is not the reason that I have friends. But I am sure it's nice to have them in good and in not so good times.

I guess you live in BKK where you frequently meet more people at the same places, and building your relations from common interests. At least my experience who have travelled and moved most of my grown up life. I connect with people trough interests and sports. Where I live now, there is no one I have any common interest with, and our mindsets are also far apart. When we socialize it is a birthday or just so the girls can come together and chat, while we share a beer and try to solve world problems.

My gf family take care of everything for us when we travel, and also if something happens to us. If something serious happens to me, I will end up in Bangkok as quick I'm stabilized and have a few friends there who will help out if needed.

A good network is important but not necessary living at same place. 

A good friend do not come easy, but I know people use the word friend different based on their culture and where they come from, same as the word love. Where I come frome we carefully use the word friend and love, and when you first say it it is real, and not just a phrase

• Like 2