george

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE

Thaksin requests to defend his impounded wealth via video conference

Ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra has applied for the court permission to testify via video conference in order to rebut the prosecution's claim for asset seizure worth 76 Billion Baht, his lawyer Thana Benchathikul said on Thursday.

The Supreme Court is scheduled tomorrow to convene a hearing on the examination of prosecution and defence evidence. The session may include the ruling on Thaksin's request.

- The Nation / 2009-03-26

Thaksin asks to testify by video link

Fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Thursday asked the Supreme Court, through his lawyer Thana Benjathikul, for approval to testify by video link against the seizure of his frozen assets, news reports said.

The former Assets Scrutiny Committee ordered the government to freeze his family's assets worth 76 billion baht after he was charged with acquiring unusual wealth while he was prime minister.

Thaksin offered to pay all expenses if he is allowed to appear before the court on video conference, the lawyer said. Thaksin asked the court to return some of the frozen assets while the case is proceeding.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1386...to-escape-debts

Thaksin asks to testify by video link

Thaksin asked the court to return some of the frozen assets while the case is proceeding.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1386...to-escape-debts

I will testify about the stolen money but can I have it back in the mean time.Why he didn't add,I will give it back when proven that it is not mine.:o:D :D :D

Supreme Court to inspect evidence in asset seizure case against former PM

The Supreme Court has set a date to inspect evidence in a 76 Billion Baht asset seizure case against former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, as Thaksin's lawyer is working to gain permission to have the ousted leader address the court via a video conference.

The Supreme Court's Division of Crimes of Political Position Holder has scheduled a date to view evidence in the case filed by Attorney-General Chaikasem Nitisiri against Thaksin Shinawatra on charges of unlikely wealth.

The Attorney-General is seeking to seize 76 Billion Baht in assets from the deposed Prime Minister.

Lawyers on the defendant's side submitted 46 files to the court while prosecutors handed in 52 files to support their case. The court has scheduled a hearing for April 20 at 2 PM.

On the same date, the court will rule on whether or not to allow Thaksin's request to appear in court via a video conference. Both sides can submit their arguments within tomorrow.

- ThaiNews / 2009-03-26

Court refuses Thaksin a video link

The Supreme Court on Friday refused to allow fugitive politician Thaksin Shinawatra to make an opening statement from abroad via video conference in a trial involving his frozen assets.

The court said he had the right to submit a written opening statement at least 15 days before the trial begins.

The court has scheduled the hearing of the case between July 16 and Oct 29.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...nce-not-allowed

Court refuses Thaksin a video link

The Supreme Court on Friday refused to allow fugitive politician Thaksin Shinawatra to make an opening statement from abroad via video conference in a trial involving his frozen assets.

The court said he had the right to submit a written opening statement at least 15 days before the trial begins.

The court has scheduled the hearing of the case between July 16 and Oct 29.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...nce-not-allowed

I'm sure that the pile of dosh has a lot of eyes on it. Nobody's going to let it go without a big fight - certainly not through soft loans to a fugitive of justice

The answer's simple. Thaksin has repeatedly said that he wants to come back and help the country through the economic crisis. No need for him to come back, just use this money on a major infrastructure building exercise. Double, electrified rail tracks on all major lines would be a good start, providing jobs and cutting down on the reliance of imported diesel once finished. I'm sure a true patriot like Thaksin would be proud to have his ill gotten gains used for the good of the country.

The answer's simple. Thaksin has repeatedly said that he wants to come back and help the country through the economic crisis. No need for him to come back, just use this money on a major infrastructure building exercise. Double, electrified rail tracks on all major lines would be a good start, providing jobs and cutting down on the reliance of imported diesel once finished.

Funding megaprojects with Thaksin's money is going to save the country's economy?

Your ideas are almost as useless and ineffective as the Democrat's have been so far.

Thailand's economy is in the swanny and not even a miracle is going to help this time round.

AEC to announce whether to freeze ousted PM's assets

Mobile broadcast units of all television channels are on a stand by at the Assets Examination Committee office on Rama VI on Monday amid speculations that AEC will announce its decision whether to freeze assets of exiled prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra or not.

The AEC started a meeting at 1.30pm to discuss whether to freeze Thaksin's assets as he is under investigation on charge of conflict of interest.

The speculation that his assets may be frozen run high after Khunying Jaruvan Mainthaka, the auditor-general who is on the AEC, told reporters earlier the day that the AEC would have a big news.

Sources said the AEC has informed mobile broadcast units of several TV stations to be on standby to broadcast live its decision.

- The Nation

==========================================

Now, we're talking...

Ousted Thaksin's money reduces from Bt73 billion to Bt52.88 billion

Assets Examination Committee (AEC) ruled on Monday to freeze assets of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his associates on charges of corruption and malfeasance.

AEC ordered the freezing of all bank accounts, issued inside and outside Thailand and at all financial institutions.

It also ordered banks that Thaksin and associates have accounts to report all deposits and withdrawals of money of the bank accounts, starting from 2001, the year Thaksin became prime minister.

The order came as AEC alleged that Thaksin abused his power and corrupted for the benefits of his Shin Corop in five projects which included his wife's purchase of Ratchadapisek land, purchase of rubber saplings, purchase of bomb detector machines for Suvarnnabhumi Airport, issuance of two and three-digit lotteries.

Among the allegations, the AEC believed that Thaksin and his associates allegedly corrupted when he sold his Shin Corp's stocks to Singapore government-owned Temasek Holdings, worth about Bt73.3 billion.

AEC found that Thaksin had already transferred from his bank account the money obtained from selling Shin Corp's shares to Temasek. Remaining money in his bank account has been vanished, reducing total wealth from Bt73.3 billion to Bt52.88 billion.

AEC's member, Kaewsan Atiphoti told reporters that Thaksin is required to defend the allegations within 60 days.

Kaewsan added that the ousted premier can appeal the freezing order.

- The Nation 2007-06-11

Mr Thaskin, seem to be a smart guy, I wonder why he keep stirring up trouble in the Kingdom??? :D:o What's he up to??

The answer's simple. Thaksin has repeatedly said that he wants to come back and help the country through the economic crisis. No need for him to come back, just use this money on a major infrastructure building exercise. Double, electrified rail tracks on all major lines would be a good start, providing jobs and cutting down on the reliance of imported diesel once finished.

Funding megaprojects with Thaksin's money is going to save the country's economy?

Your ideas are almost as useless and ineffective as the Democrat's have been so far.

Thailand's economy is in the swanny and not even a miracle is going to help this time round.

What, the same Democrat's who have been in power for a whole 3 months? How dare they not have the economy sorted out by now!

If you want to see useless and ineffective, have a look at the red protests, or Thaksin, sitting in Zimbabwe, or wherever he is, getting lessons on democracy from the local dictator / despot / military thug / all of the above.

Using his money on something that helps the country would have the added advantage of letting us hear his bleats become a little shriller once he realises he's lost his preciousss. Help the economy and provide a laugh to millions in one easy go.

Thaksin says it's time to fight for his 'stolen asset'

Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra last night tried to drum up more support for the red-shirt movement and his bid to make a political comeback.

He invited all elements of society who want a "real democracy, not a sham one" to come out and join the protest by his supporters.

He called on his supporters all over the country to come out in full force to act like a tsunami "to drive away the aristocracy and make Thailand a complete democracy".

"We have to mobilise people in full force. We don't need to care anyone any more," he said.

He compared his overthrown government to a person who was snatched of his belonging, saying that now it was time to demand for that to be returned.

And Thaksin repeated his readiness to come back and lead again.

"If you my countrymen tell me to get back to work, I will do it even though it means hard work at the age of 60," he said. "I will return and tackle the problems. I will do magic for you."

And he expressed confidence that he could "slip in at any time" although he is wanted by authorities as a fugitive convict in a corruption case.

In the meantime, Thaksin insisted that he remained loyal to His Majesty the King, adding that he believed the King did not want to get involved with politics. The fugitive ex-leader said that he had no intention of destroying the institution, as had been alleged by his political enemies.

He accused "people around the palace" of plotting the 2006 coup with the military to overthrow his government. He said that those people should not interfere with politics as it was not an intention of His Majesty the King. He repeated his claim that Privy Council president Prem Tinsulanonda and another royal adviser Surayud Chulanont had interfered with politics.

Thaksin was speaking to his red-clad supporters gathering outside Government House. His speech, believed to be broadcast through a video linkup from overseas, began shortly after 8 pm and lasted a little over an hour.

He made his speech with the Thai flag in the background and the message "Thailand Needs Change" in the foreground.

Thaksin also blamed the ruling Democrat Party for the ongoing political conflict. He said the Democrats failed to follow the rules and gained political power through unusual means, with the help of the military, the People's Alliance for Democracy, and lately the Friends of Newin faction.

He criticised the way the government is dealing with the economic problems. While portraying the Democrat-led administration as lacking the efficiency in dealing with the economic crisis, Thaksin gave himself credit for strengthening the Thai economy while he was in power.

- The Nation / 2009-04-01

He never quite comes up with a reason

why Kuhn Newin blew him off totally...

Everybody did it to him, he never did anything himself.

Well if it was that easy to screw him over,

he must not have been near as strong as his ego proclaims him to be.

Oh wait He can "do magic".

Ah now THAT is a great national leadership position!

The way he proposes coming back to power certainly is by "unusal means".

He never seems to notice his own contradictions.

But everyone not for him is just contrarian and bad for the country.

Edited by animatic

Is it only me? I can't find any reference to his assets in the actual article. The "solen asset" refers to democracy or power that was snatched from him or from Thai people by coupmakers, the way I read it.

Of course the coup was almost three years ago and the country went through three-four governments since then, and all the MPs in the current House are elected by people, so what's his beef with the current situation? That MPs didn't vote the way he wanted? Tough luck, bring on the pitchforks.

If he accuses Prem and Surayud of meddling in politics - look who is talking! Isn't he meddling in politics full trottle himself?

He is not fooling anyone but the reds with propositions like that. It's like that Jakrapob fellow at FCCT, proposing another form of dictatorship instead of traditional patronage. It just doesn't make any sense.

Thaksin says it's time to fight for his 'stolen asset'

He called on his supporters all over the country to come out in full force to act like a tsunami "to drive away the aristocracy and make Thailand a complete democracy".

- The Nation / 2009-04-01

What is the defination of "aristocracy" here? Can I charge Thaksin for LM and sent him to 15 years jail?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristocracy

Edited by samgrowth

He compared his overthrown government to a person who was snatched of his belonging, saying that now it was time to demand for that to be returned.

"If you my countrymen tell me to get back to work, I will do it even though it means hard work at the age of 60," he said. "I will return and tackle the problems. I will do magic for you."

And he expressed confidence that he could "slip in at any time" although he is wanted by authorities as a fugitive convict in a corruption case.

Pure OTT comedy from the Spinmeister of <deleted>.

Proves though that:

a/ he still considers he "bought" the govt and he considers it as his own personal property.

b/ he still feels sorry for himself that all this burden of leadership responsibility should be put on an "old man" of 60 (cf. another true leader who is now an octogenarian andnever once complained about the weight of responsbility on his shoulders)

c/ he's now getting a Paul Daniel or David Copperfield complex. It raises the question though if he's a bloody magician, then why doesn't he magically get his 76 billion baht to appear in his Swiss bank accounts or on the floor of his Dubai hotel suite? Let's hope his brand of magic doesn't involve used tampons. :D

d/ Maybe part of his magic involves transformation into Banharn at immigration, what with all this talk of "slipping in"? Or maybe he is actually going to turn into a tampon (perish the thought!). Like Michael Jackson, maybe he just wants to be "white, outta sight and uptight".

Now that would be magic we could marvel at. :o

Pure OTT comedy from the Spinmeister of <deleted>.

Proves though that:

a/ he still considers he "bought" the govt and he considers it as his own personal property.

b/ he still feels sorry for himself that all this burden of leadership responsibility should be put on an "old man" of 60 (cf. another true leader who is now an octogenarian andnever once complained about the weight of responsbility on his shoulders)

c/ he's now getting a Paul Daniel or David Copperfield complex. It raises the question though if he's a bloody magician, then why doesn't he magically get his 76 billion baht to appear in his Swiss bank accounts or on the floor of his Dubai hotel suite? Let's hope his brand of magic doesn't involve used tampons. :D

d/ Maybe part of his magic involves transformation into Banharn at immigration, what with all this talk of "slipping in"? Or maybe he is actually going to turn into a tampon (perish the thought!). Like Michael Jackson, maybe he just wants to be "white, outta sight and uptight".

Now that would be magic we could marvel at. :o

Cogent analysis.

But I thought it was his boy Oak who's been trying to let it 'slipping in'?

Samgrowth mentioned Aristocracy from:

aristokratia, meaning 'the rule of the best'.

The honorary Dr. T. clearly thinks HE is the best, so should rule.

Of course he only wants HIS rules.

Turn into a tampon.... LOL drole.

610x-9.jpg

Supreme Administrative Court rejects Pantongtae's suit against Revenue Department

The Supreme Administrative Court Thursday rejected a lawsuit filed by the son of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra against the Revenue Department.

The court ruled that the case is outside the court's power and should be considered by the tax court instead.

Pantongtae filed the suit against department, alleging it with issuing an unlawful order to seize his assets to pay for the tax on the sale of Shin Corp shares.

- The Nation / 2009-04-02

Court denies Panthongtae's lawsuit against Revenue Dept

The Supreme Administrative Court on Thursday (April 2) rejected a lawsuit filed by the son of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra against the Revenue Department.

Pantongtae Shinawatra filed a suit against the department, alleging it issued an unlawful order to seize his assets to pay for the tax on the sale of Shin Corp shares.

The court ruled that the case was under the authority of the Central Tax Court which had resolved to reject the lawsuit.

Panthongtae and his seven associates filed the suit against the Revenue Department for denying to take his bank accounts as a security since the controversial account has been frozen by the now-defunct Assets Scrutiny Committee and assigned the department officials to seize his assets for tax payment.

- ThaiNews / 2009-04-02

Panthongthae ruling backed

The Supreme Administrative Court yesterday rejected a case filed by ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra's son against the Revenue Department.

The court upheld the lower Central Administrative Court's verdict that the case was beyond its scope of jurisdiction.

Panthongtae Shinawatra filed the case against the Revenue Department, its director-general and five other department officials for confiscation of 5.9 Billion Baht in unpaid tax for Panthongtae's and his sister Pinthongta's sale of Shin Corp shares in early 2006.

Thaksin's son had brought the case to the lower court, asking for the asset confiscation to be lifted and the defendants to pay him 100 Million Baht in damages.

The court had found that such a case should have been filed with the Tax Court and the confiscation resulted from tax estimation by the Revenue Department.

The Supreme Administrative Court yesterday upheld the verdict and ruled that the court fees of Bt250,000 be returned to Panthongtae.

- The Nation / 2009-04-03

Panthongthae ruling backed

The Supreme Administrative Court yesterday rejected a case filed by ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra's son against the Revenue Department.

The court upheld the lower Central Administrative Court's verdict that the case was beyond its scope of jurisdiction.

Panthongtae Shinawatra filed the case against the Revenue Department, its director-general and five other department officials for confiscation of 5.9 Billion Baht in unpaid tax for Panthongtae's and his sister Pinthongta's sale of Shin Corp shares in early 2006.

Thaksin's son had brought the case to the lower court, asking for the asset confiscation to be lifted and the defendants to pay him 100 Million Baht in damages.

The court had found that such a case should have been filed with the Tax Court and the confiscation resulted from tax estimation by the Revenue Department.

The Supreme Administrative Court yesterday upheld the verdict and ruled that the court fees of Bt250,000 be returned to Panthongtae.

- The Nation / 2009-04-03

Best lawyers money can bribe and they can't even read the law enough to file in the right court...

100 mil baht in damages too; no arrogance there.

How DARE you try and make me pay taxes, daddy says we don't have to.

wanke_r!

Edited by animatic

• 1 month later...

Supreme Court to hear Thaksin's assets seizure case on July 16

The Supreme Court Thursday set July 16 to begin its hearing on testimonies for the 76 Billion Baht asset seizure case involving ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra and his family members.

In the same ruling, the high court rejected a defence argument for an oral presentation of the opening statement although it agreed to authorise the defence to gather and file additional evidence as deemed necessary.

The ruling against the oral statement was seen to preempt any attempt for theatricals.

The high court allowed the opening statements for the defence and the prosecution to be submitted in written form.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-05-28