Public advised to be aware of dengue fever re-emergence in Thailand

snoop1130

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAivXaZnRd0u5xwFrLGlaPvUQAJcjtfw8GiEt9KMy.jpg

Thailand’s Disease Control Department is advising people to protect themselves against mosquito bites, saying that dengue fever, which is carried by mosquitos, is likely to become more widespread this year.

Two of the 193 people infected with the disease since January 1st have died.

Disease Control Department Director-General Dr. Opart Karnkawinpong said today (Tuesday) that instances of dengue fever had reduced over the past two years as many people stayed home during the COVID-19 pandemic, but it is staging a comeback this year as the herd immunity is starting to drop.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/public-advised-to-be-aware-of-dengue-fever-re-emergence-in-thailand/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-02-08

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

In March 2021, the European Medicines Agency accepted the filing package for vaccine candidate TAK-003, which is designated for people not previously infected.[6]

There are several other vaccine candidates in development including live attenuated, inactivated, DNA and subunit vaccines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_vaccine

Roll up. roll up.

".... it is staging a comeback this year as the herd immunity is starting to drop."

Really? I've never heard of herd immunity for dengue... " Herd immunity has not been studied in dengue infections, but it is possible that the disease burden could be eliminated even if vaccine coverage were not complete."

Hmmm prosects for immunizing web link

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Just when we are getting used to living with Omicron, thanks very much.

That pic gets dug out once or twice  year to put us all in fear.... and my bare back is itching from such attention right now!

• Haha 1

Never had it ..., yet ... thank the gods! Never want to either.

My uncle used to get malaria bad from his WWII years in Borneo, when I was young tacker, (he seemed to leave it behind as he got old?) and it looked horrible. Can't imagine what Dengue would be like if Malaria is anything to go by!

27 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

My uncle used to get malaria bad from his WWII years in Borneo, when I was young tacker, (he seemed to leave it behind as he got old?) and it looked horrible. Can't imagine what Dengue would be like if Malaria is anything to go by!

Had it once, and I guess it's like any flu, feel like c r a p, and everything hurts, to some degree.  Like the flu/dengue/covid, simply effects everyone a bit different. 

Actually, the only time I was ever sick in Thailand / 20+ yrs, so no complaints so far.  Did knock me for a loop for a few days.

Dengue is year round, though does have it's season, when more mozzies about.

And yes, as someone stated, I agree, more scarier than covid, but not nearly as profitable, that's for sure.  IMHO also.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Dengue is more deadly than covid (around one death per 1000 detected cases), but can be easily contained (with the first detected cases move in local health authority with mosquito eradicating program). 

Thailand has around 60k cases per year and around 60 deaths. 

The biggest spreaders are city schools, kids hanging out after lessons in the neighbourhood. So there is fall in infections when schools are closed for holidays or due to lockdowns. 

since 2017 there is available in thailand Dengvaxia - 3 doses are some 9k at private hospitals and given in 6 months gaps.
Originally thought to protect for 5 years, but doctor i have spoken at mahidol travel clinic refused to give me a booster. She believes that every dengue infection will act as a booster. I will talk to another doctors to confirm it, when i go for my flu shot 

13 minutes ago, internationalism said:

She believes that every dengue infection will act as a booster. 

Hope that's true.  Just like covid, you can get dengue multiple times ???? 

3 more Dengue strains for me, though don't care for the 1 strain ... no thanks.

30 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Hope that's true.  Just like covid, you can get dengue multiple times ???? 

3 more Dengue strains for me, though don't care for the 1 strain ... no thanks.

She meant each new infection will act as a booster for a vax. 
If you want to be protected from catching the next 3 strains you need vax. 
if you have confirmed dengue you can get get vax from the red cross, the mahidol travel clinic, large governmental hospitals for some 2400b per shot. 
i have red some years ago that even 2 shots should be enough. The 3rd one is just in case one given earlier did not work. Worth to talk to dr. 

I did my vax at private hospital back in 2017, when it was not widely available and with red tape. I am still thinking about a booster as soon as possible, if somebody offers me one (but this time I wont go to private hospital - too easy for them dish it out without medical consideration)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

She meant each new infection will act as a booster for a vax. 
If you want to be protected from catching the next 3 strains you need vax. 

No real desire myself, to get vax'd.  Don't seem to have them little suckers where I am, well, that I noticed.  I just do the same as for other 'bugs' out there.  Social distance, and avoid where the little ones are or cover up if putting myself on the buffet table or rather under.

Lived in Udon Thani when I had it.  PKK surfside, even rural, haven't noticed one yet.  Ae mozzy that is.

Dengue is spread in towns, where there are many people. Mosquito has to get infected blood and pass it around. So it doesnt spread in sparsely populated area. 
villagers might get it from children from town schools. 

each dengue infection is more severe and dangerous. There is no remedy, just controlling symptoms. 

my first infection was bad, knocked for a month. 
my second, a few month after the second jab, was mild and just few days

Edited by internationalism

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

Dengue is more deadly than covid (around one death per 1000 detected cases), but can be easily contained (with the first detected cases move in local health authority with mosquito eradicating program). 

Thailand has around 60k cases per year and around 60 deaths. 

The biggest spreaders are city schools, kids hanging out after lessons in the neighbourhood. So there is fall in infections when schools are closed for holidays or due to lockdowns. 

since 2017 there is available in thailand Dengvaxia - 3 doses are some 9k at private hospitals and given in 6 months gaps.
Originally thought to protect for 5 years, but doctor i have spoken at mahidol travel clinic refused to give me a booster. She believes that every dengue infection will act as a booster. I will talk to another doctors to confirm it, when i go for my flu shot 

A vaccination program of children in the Philippines found that Dengvaxia increased the risk of severe infection in those who were not previously infected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_vaccine

This link includes info on other vaccines in development.

So one approach is checking for antibodies to confirm that there was previous infection before administering Dengvaxia. 

In endemic areas, like in thailand or philippines, statistical chances for infection is every 9 years. 
thats why local population is advised to get jabs between age 9-45. 
yes, to check for previous infection, and to prevent potential bad outcome from first infection, would be checking antibodies. But cost of laboratory check is more expensive than one dose. 
thats why its advised to get vax after the first infection. Whether confirmed by hospital visit or by spread of dengue in community and symptoms at time. 
First time i got sick home, from schoolkids, who were later hospitalised. I did not need hospitalisation. 
the second time i got it at erewan national park, where i was camping for several days. One day fumigating crew came to spray camping area, houses of locals. I have asked them for a reason and they have confirmed several hospitalisations of locals. 
dengvaxia is the only one. Was developed over 20 years of research. Is approved in thailand, as well as in the EU and the usa. 

Edited by internationalism
  • Thanks 1

it's about time. I understand that during the past 2 years no one has died from Flu, Dengue fever or old age because Covid has bullied those causes into hiding. (before anyone jumps down my throat I am being facetious)

23 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Friend got it in Pattaya a number of years ago.

As with anything, different people react different.

Woke up drenched in sweat, bed soaking wet, too weak to climb out. His wife had to call ambulance to have 2 guys get him out of bed.

He was in hospital for 5 nights. Convalesce for over a month at home, still very weak for months after.

They don't call it break bone fever for nothing.

You DO NOT want to get it.

My fathers comrades suffered from malaria also - saw that growing up. With the bullet scars.

23 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Had it two times. Different strain each time and also different symptoms. First time was like an influenza with aching joints, fever and headache, Second time...the  version where  when standing and walking felt like walking on broken bones ! I continued to get night sweats for a couple of months after that one too! Not keen to get again for fear of hemorrhagic fever as a fatal result.