Thai Food and Drug Administration still planning on allowing recreational cannabis in “some” areas

snoop1130

S__37454002-696x522.jpg

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has indicated that the Ministry of Public Health wants to utilize the benefits of cannabis following its removal from Thailand’s list of prohibited drugs.

The administration said the use of cannabis for recreational purposes will be allowed in designated areas, though the ministry is still working out which should be eligible.

Dr. Paisarn Dankum, secretary-general of the FDA, said this does not mean Thailand will see cannabis cafes any time soon, but there are many different models overseas involving legal recreational use that the ministry believes would suit the nation’s social context.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/02/08/thai-food-and-drug-administration-still-planning-on-allowing-recreational-cannabis-in-some-areas/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-02-08

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The administration said the use of cannabis for recreational purposes will be allowed in designated areas, though the ministry is still working out which should be eligible.

Here we go... medicinal use only they said...  and now?

Quality tourists out smack-heads in?

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 4

12 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

Please stop with your complete nonsense. Fine if you are not interested in cannabis but pretty sure all the cannabis smoking smack heads will have zero effect on your life, so what's your problem ?

When I get t-boned on the road..
I have enough problem avoiding the p*ss-heads.

we have a few cannabis shops already here in hua hin.  i havent been in yet, but my mate is sure he gets a buzz from the stuff he orders when he goes in there.

has anyone else tried the current shops that are popping up?  is it because some of them are circumventing the rules and are actually selling weed with decent amount of THC in them from under the counter, or is my mate imagining that he is getting stoned / placebo effect?

This is the "cannabis sandbox" idea some governmental, or tourism, chap spouted last week.

Dream on. This is a non-starter

Yes, we all know about the island bars playing Reggae music, many of which had big bashes on Feb. 6.

The issue the regime has is that there is no significant market for "real" cannabis. There's already a glut of flower going to waste as the medical/extraction for the GPO is over-supplied. 

2 minutes ago, UKJASE said:

or is my mate imagining that he is getting stoned / placebo effect?

This one.

Can you not ask your mate "What are you smoking Dude?"

Production (unless authorized and monitored by the authorities) remains and will remain illegal, as will distribution, possession and use.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Just thinking, hope this new recreation law allows for the reggae bars to spring up again. Anyone remember in the mid 90s they were everywhere, some great ones on the beach pumping out Bob Marley at all hours. Coffee shops are too intellectual, Thailand did reggae bars so well. Happy days.

Before covid those reggae bars were still alive on koh Samui and Koh Chang and i can imagine on a lot of other islands too.

Not so many as before, but still enough to cover the need for space cakes and joints if you are into that thing.

I'm not, but i just like the chilled atmosphere at those places and like to get a beer or ten there, while having a game of killer if possible.

Never experienced any problems at those places, so it's not like stoned people are famous for bar brawls.

Here in Denmark cannabis is classified as class A drug along with heroin and opium, but the authorities still let it go most of the times if people only carry a gram or two for their own consumption.

You can still get fined or worse, but most of the times they let you go.

It all depends what kind of cop you meet.

We have a place in Copenhagen that is famous for selling hash.

Christiania Freetown.

Not my kind of place but it's there.

https://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/planning/christiania-gdk957761

• Like 1

"The administration said the use of cannabis for recreational purposes will be allowed in designated areas..."  I think they have already allowed it in most government offices.  With the rubbish that comes from senior leaders on a daily basis, they have to be smoking something.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

This one.

Can you not ask your mate "What are you smoking Dude?"

Production (unless authorized and monitored by the authorities) remains and will remain illegal, as will distribution, possession and use.

Can i ask what is your connection to the cannabis liberalization movement in Thailand?

You often post quite negatively regarding the various announcements (perhaps reasonably so given we are talking about the Thai government) but it all started with a government initiative to liberalize..

Illegal is a questionable word under the circumstances.. Various international media have already announced that Thailand has decriminalized marijuana.

That would mean that it is not illegal, only a civil offense subject to fines. Also, they are still talking about recreational sandboxes for the islands and Pattaya.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how Thailand will get around its treaty obligations (the same thing that keeps Western countries from fully legalizing). The Commission on Narcotics Control still doesn't seem eager to rewrite the international conventions that govern cannabis legislation.  

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, pathologix said:

I'm not sure how Thailand will get around its treaty obligations (the same thing that keeps Western countries from fully legalizing). The Commission on Narcotics Control still doesn't seem eager to rewrite the international conventions that govern cannabis legislation.  

Gee.. I wonder how Canada, a G7 economy, dealt with that conundrum..

Here's a hint.. they ignored the treaty

• Like 2