Positive thinking

Sparktrader

1 hour ago, pomchop said:

For far too many "positive thinking" seems to get all wrapped up in prayers.  There is a difference between trying to look on the bright side of various events and begging invisible spirits to give u whatever it is you have deluded yourself into thinking prayer will give you.

Actually... that isn't prayer.  That's just, as you say, begging invisible spirits to give you something.

In most religions, 'prayer' is thanking those invisible spirits for what has already been given and thanking them for what is about to be received.  And that is a very positive mental attitude!  ????  It works for them. Otherwise, billions of people wouldn't be doing it all over the world for the past several thousand years.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Haha 2

I try to be a 'glass half full' guy and I think it works for me.  I just feel better with a positive outlook rather than negative.  In some cases with my life, when something I originally thought had been bad, later it turned out to be good.   Was not hired for this job--bad--but later was hired for that job, which suited me much better--good.  I try to keep 'don't cry over spilt milk' in the back of my mind.  Something bad happens, don't dwell on it too much.  It's just a waste of time and effort.  Learn from it and move on.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Positive thinking

That’s clear and works for me. Like a rule number 1. ????

B5667A39-157E-43F7-B201-46264CE0F929.jpeg

Thinking forward/ahead of ways to improve your situation works if you can maintain it, rather then dwell on the past or dwell of negative / failed things. 

When I was lecturing I often did a session of 'think out of the box' highlighting that:

- If you continue to think/dwell on negative/failed things you keep your thinking within a box/round and round within the same box.

- I asked every student to write the major details of a problem they were encountering and sticky tape it to the wall, no name added. (Every class member gives the lecturer their 'problem page', lecturer tells students to a  leave the room for 10 minutes, lecturer sticks all the notes on a wall.)

- Students come back. Lecturer reads one of the notes then gives the class 5 minutes to think then invites all students to offer a suggested solution. If some students are not offering solutions lecturer changes the approach and says 'from here I will decide who must comment/offer a suggestion.

- Always small classes, perhaps 18 students total. After all the problems have been commented on the lecturer says 'be brave, please share a good/useful suggestion for your problem, that you hadn't thought of.

- Play up the idea that thinking 'out of the box' is possible and can lead to: positive thinking, improvements, problem solving, innovations, creativity and no need to dwell on the problem with an attitude of failure, cannot proceed, I've failed etc.

There's a lot on the WWW about 'think out of the box', worth a few minutes to explore.  

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Actually... that isn't prayer.  That's just, as you say, begging invisible spirits to give you something.

In most religions, 'prayer' is thanking those invisible spirits for what has already been given and thanking them for what is about to be received.  And that is a very positive mental attitude!  ????  It works for them. Otherwise, billions of people wouldn't be doing it all over the world for the past several thousand years.

"When I was a kid, I wanted a bicycle so badly that I prayed and prayed for one... I never got it. So, I stole a bicycle and prayed for forgiveness."

Emo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Reading the many, many negative comments I see regularly on AN forums by members, I reckon you'd be better off asking your questions elsewhere. 

Most are glass half empty guys here. 

I like to see me as an positive related person, but I also do see negativity, absorb negativity and also try to solve negative feelings as well accept them. Analize negativity you might call it, but I always try to mak the negative positive. Your brain is the solution where you constant form your thoughts and how it work by its plasticity, therefor important to use your brain correct to make sure it produce the hormons and chemicals needed to feel happy. 

a good article in my opinio

https://www.inc.com/wanda-thibodeaux/the-1-dangerous-reality-of-too-much-positive-thinking.html

6 hours ago, DaddyWarbucks said:

If Norman Vincent Peale is the “granddaddy” of positive thinking then Emile Coué is the great granddaddy.

Much of what Peale taught was learned from Coué and his books based upon experiences with patients at Troyes and later at his well-known clinic at Nancy.

Quite so.

I should have given credit where credit is due.

Thanks for the reminder.

16446810098198924503326143849185.jpg.98ce2e946d6523088562e3f84cd80f4e.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 9:48 AM, Skeptic7 said:

I agree, but sadly there are many people believing in things such as prayer or "spiritual manifesting" which is only as effective as random chance...which is all prayer really is. People tend to remember the "hits" and not the misses. 

Many people give credit to magical thinking or beings instead of themselves (or doctors, nurses and first responders) They work and/or practice their butts off and then put (or give) credit elsewhere. Athletes do this all the time.

Positive thinking can motivate and help focus a person to improve or do better, but it's not a guarantee, and it's still the individual actually doing what is necessary to succeed. 

Didnt win lotto yet

In a sense, I think thinking like that opens us up to positive opportunities more, as in my mind, life is just a series of opportunities and chances.

Of course it’s not enough to just dream about a new car all day and expect someone to randomly give you a new car, but if you’re thinking about it a lot, you’ll make choices that bring you closer to one. Maybe you're more careful with money because you’re saving for a new car or you just go to dealership "to look" and learn something that could help you buy. Doesn’t guarantee a new car, but it improves your chances compared to just assuming you’ll never have one and forgetting about it. It’s focus, not magic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1