Big Decision: Which Asian country is ideal for foreign retirees?

webfact

17 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:
35 minutes ago, blazes said:

Tell us more about Mauritius, pros and cons.  Everything I've ever heard of it suggests it is paradisal....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10507805/Ex-partner-one-UKs-richest-financiers-leave-Mauritius-ill-father.html

Divorce $hite that could take place anywhere in the world.  Nothing to do with Mauritius.  Disappointing response.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

A staggering 8.54% of the total Sri Lanka population has HIV.

Source? It's all over the web (although these numbers are from 2020).

Your 'facts' are fake!!!

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_HIV/AIDS_adult_prevalence_rate ) Sri Lanka is on position 118 (4000 people with AIDS) and the usa (for example) on position 11 (1,189,700 people with AIDS). These numbers are from a few years ago.
Even so, 8.54% of 22 million is roughly 1,880,000 people. How can just 4000 people infect 1.8 million people in a few years?!? They are people, not rabbits.

Very, very hard to believe without mentioning a source...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

Your 'facts' are fake!!!

A lot of folks chuck things out there... I have learned to investigate further if I do not feel the statement is likely. Often find they are untrue or misrepresented for effect.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JulesMad said:

Your 'facts' are fake!!!

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_HIV/AIDS_adult_prevalence_rate ) Sri Lanka is on position 118 (4000 people with AIDS) and the usa (for example) on position 11 (1,189,700 people with AIDS). These numbers are from a few years ago.
Even so, 8.54% of 22 million is roughly 1,880,000 people. How can just 4000 people infect 1.8 million people in a few years?!? They are people, not rabbits.

Very, very hard to believe without mentioning a source...

You need again to read between the lines, as I've said above, I cannot legally provide you with a source because:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Sri_Lanka

Prostitution in Sri Lanka is illegal, and related activities such as soliciting,[1] procuring,[2] and brothels[3] are outlawed.

https://www.equaldex.com/region/sri-lanka

Homosexual activity in Sri Lanka is illegal (imprisonment as punishment).

Current status Since Jan 1, 1885

Illegal (imprisonment as punishment)

Homosexuality is considered illegal in Sri Lanka, with up to 10 years of prison for "carnal knowledge" against order of nature.

Also from that page:

Jan 1, 1885–Sep 9, 2018

Male illegal, female legal

8-14 years in prison and fine under Section 365 and under article 365 A. Not enforced. Just got ruled unconstitutional in India on June 17, 2018.

So again, Sri Lanka:

Prostitution is illegal. Sex workers have ZERO rights. Homosexuality is illegal as well. Gays have ZERO rights and face 10 years of prison, therefore they cannot be added to the OFFICIAL statistics.

To compute the number I came up with, you first need to account for the amount of infected females from official sources then the amount of infected heterosexual males THEN on top of that the officious number of infected GAY males.

My sources? Several concatenated reports from: https://www.ohchr.org/EN/pages/home.aspx

OHCHR: Office of the High Commissioner of Human Rights. United Nations.

7 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

Okay what about Malaysia and it's LEGAL TORTURE SYSTEM then?

Still skeptical? Read on:

Article 1 of the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (UNCAT) defines the term “torture” as any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person.

While most countries have condemned and criminalised torture, Malaysia remains one of the very few countries yet to commit to becoming a torture-free nation.

In Malaysia caning is used as a judicial punishment for criminal offences. Amnesty International estimates that as many as 10,000 people each year are subjected to caning in Malaysia, and many of them are foreign nationals.

Source?

https://www.amnesty.my/stop-torture/

Singapore also uses judicial caning, often held-up as the most advanced and sophisticated society in SE Asia.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

Article 1 of the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (UNCAT) defines the term “torture” as any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person.

While most countries have condemned and criminalised torture, Malaysia remains one of the very few countries yet to commit to becoming a torture-free nation.

In Malaysia caning is used as a judicial punishment for criminal offences. Amnesty International estimates that as many as 10,000 people each year are subjected to caning in Malaysia, and many of them are foreign nationals.

Source?

Singapore is famous for it's Caning Laws, you can get 8 lashes for Graffiti on  public bldg, street sign, sidewalk or wall.   or Malaysia, I do not believe it is because of Sharia laws, they tried that back in the noneties, but once they started dictating to the Banks, the whole Sharia Law movement collapsed  -  read - they were kicked out.   I wouldn't pick Malaysia over Thailand or Vietnam as I own property in both countries, but the Visa situation in Malaysia is more retirement friendly.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JohnHans said:

PHILIPPINES, half the "real" cost of Thailand.

Until you need extensive health care!  Hospitals up to western quality standards are scarce and VERY expensive; pretty much non-existent in the provinces. 

Compare the cost of both prescription and OTC medicines and the Philippines is much more expensive than Thailand with much less selection.

Sad to say but all the best Filipino doctors and nurses work outside the Philippines. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Laos is more of a retirement destination for "pioneers" but the Philippines has one of the most robust formal retired expat programs in the world, the SRRV, and has for a long time. 

Do you have any idea if that SRRV program has an option for foreign retirees and foreign dependant spouse and family members....or is it only for single travelers.

Thanks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I met a guy in a bar in Penang a few years back and he said he  came from the USA to marry his GF. Her whole family said he had to become a Muslim, so he was booked on the next flight back home Poor Guy!!!

That is true in any Muslim country............non-muslim cannot marry a muslim in their home country IF it is predominately Muslim.  Granted most times this is only a symbolic gesture to show respect for the family.  It doesnt mean you have to face Mecca and pray five times a day.

9 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

That is true in any Muslim country............non-muslim cannot marry a muslim in their home country IF it is predominately Muslim.  Granted most times this is only a symbolic gesture to show respect for the family.  It doesnt mean you have to face Mecca and pray five times a day.

I believe it is simply more accurate to say a muslim woman cannot marry a non muslim man. A man is restricted to muslim, Jew or Christian women....Saudi women can only marry Saudis I believe.

Not sure how strict that is worldwide, but it is 'traditional'...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, muratremix said:

Malaysia would be great if they weren't favoring muslims and have a dual law system (sharia + civil) where Muslims hold advantage over non-muslims (or infidels)

Agree. There is no way I would be retiring anywhere that is a muslim dominated society. Absolutely NO way. Why would you? No short time girls. No go go bars. No bikinis. Ugh, can't think of anything worse! Long live the infidel girls!!

Edited by Inala
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

That kind of sordid, sleazy, 15 minute wham bam on sweat stained sheets with a pimped, trafficked junkie is not comparable to night life here in Thailand

GEEZUS! You sound embittered. Did you really expect to find true romance on Calle Robador? ????

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

Source?

And then there's always the death penalty for possessing more than a couple of grams of any illicit recreational drug.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

You got that right. If you want a lunch without a ton of sugar in it, you have to either make it yourself from western-imported goods or else dine at a five-star hotel.

Good post. However my experience during my numerous trips to the Philippines is that there are many many good quality restaurants serving good quality western food in the tourist areas of the Philippines.

Edited by tlcwaterfall
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

For once (but just once) I'll have to agree with you. That place is sordid, drugs den and HIV nest.

Not the typical GFE experience you would be getting in Thailand.

There were no drugs or HIV when I was there in 1962. Franco ran a tight ship.