Big Decision: Which Asian country is ideal for foreign retirees?

webfact

Some questions to be asked

Are you single, and do you want to find a woman?
What do you enjoy in life? Food, wine, bars, dating, standard of living, hobbies? 
Your age and health? 
How often Travel to and from orign country or any place in the world
Hospitals

Transport or drive yourself

I like to ride motorbikes so Thailand is a good destination for me. I used to kayak, diving and climbing, thats why I ended up in Thailand in first place, and got to know the country before retiring here.

The beauty of Asia fades quickly if you start staying here long enough without leaving, and it takes quite a bit positive thinking at once that fase hits you, at least for me, and you start to learn the real  Asia and overcome the negativity and find your true path. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I have not had any problems there either. But my expat friends who live there have warned me that there is alot of violence there, and unlike here, it is more frequently targeted at foreigners, due to the extreme levels of poverty and desperation. 

I have one friend there who did the long term visa with a deposit. Apparently, there is a clause that allows you to get your money back after a certain number of years. Last time I talked to him he was still struggling to get it back. And he had been working on it for awhile. Part of a Duterte slush fund, perhaps?

I have found many guys there to be quite friendly. Here? Whoa. Astonishing how little interest most Thai guys lack, in having a foreign friend. 

I can be your friend. I am  a foreigner.????

I think many countries can make comfortable retirement homes if one has money and a very easy-going attitude. Those who find problems are usually not that flexible (where's the Watney's Red Barrel then bruv?).

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't agree,

I'm OK with dying if something serious happens, second rate medical care is good enough for me.

Never worry about tomorrow, you might not be here to see it.

If you get a stroke, time and hospital is essential, since you most likely will survive but the outcome can be quite different. Close to a good hospital life goes on as before, or half vegetable for rest of your life. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gejohesch said:

I agree with part of what you say. I don't know however about Penang, never been there. But I lived and worked 1 1/2 years in Kuala Lumpur and did not like it one bit. I found the slogan "Malaysia, truly Asia" is a total misrepresentation of what it actually is, and very misleading.

I far prefer Thailand, with all its defaults and irritating factors (I could list a few but this is not the place). Compared to Malaysia, Thailand is a cultural giant. Food is at least as good, and women at least as beautiful as in Malaysia (and more available).

I checked the website Best Places to Retire in 2022: The Annual Global Retirement Index (internationalliving.com). The OP hides the fact that when looking at the world, not one Asian country makes it to the top 10 list. Obviously, one can always wonder about the criteria used. But this is a sign nevertheless that Asia is maybe not that extraordinary after all. Statements like "great food", "amazing natural beauty", "amazing cultural sites" or "great population diversity" are used too freely left, right and centre, without much sense of relativity.

I personally understand why Mexico, Colombia, France, Spain or Portugal figure in the top 10. Let's take Mexico, for example. Compared with Thailand, Mexico is at least as cheap, has much easier regulations for foreigners, has a lot more diversity and a lot more cultural sites etc.... good food but maybe not as good as Thailand. Very friendly people and much easier to communicate with (Spanish being more accessible for most foreigners than Thai). For those interested in women, I would say Thailand beats Mexico by a few lengths. Security could be an issue but certainly one should not believe that Mexican cartels and other gangsters are everywhere and every day going to jump on foreigners.

Colombia, great also, except for the food (great meat but limited choices). Portugal and Spain, great also, cheap enough, very safe, lots to do and see, good climates.

Etc. Ah, the climates : in my opinion, climates in Asia can be a problem for foreigners used to temperate climates. South European climates (including France) are fantastic. So are the climates in Latin America (especially in the mountains). Thailand climates : I find them brutal, and Malaysia even more.

Mexican food is among the best in the world, why do you think you can find a Mexican restaurant or cantina pretty much anywhere in the world? As far as their women goes,  they are second to none!

Edited by BayArea
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

Vietnam doesn't even have a retirement visa, so much as I like visiting the country, it has no business being on that list.

If Thailand didn't have an incompetent government and nonsensical immigration procedures, it would be pretty much perfect. Even as it is, I think it's pretty good.

Just who is the lnternational Living List? They must be the most uninformed people ever going by nos 1 and 2.

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

Vietnam doesn't even have a retirement visa, so much as I like visiting the country, it has no business being on that list.

If Thailand didn't have an incompetent government and nonsensical immigration procedures, it would be pretty much perfect. Even as it is, I think it's pretty good.

1 hour ago, flexomike said:

Health insurance for OA visa holders

You're right. Plus the 2 months before/3months after rule of the 800k.

I think, the change on 800k was invented to avoid people bypassing the rules by borrowing some money before application and transfer it back one day later. Which happened in many cases.

Health insurance is a hurdle for the O/A-holder and soon to come for all others too, imo. But I think, a mandatory insurance is a good thing. Most of those who insist they want be "self insured" would not have the funds to pay for an expensive treatment. 

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

Hoi An might be nice to live in, although I personally haven't been there yet. Saigon--forget it. Extremely difficult getting around, and overcrowded.

Thought it was horrible, went back to Da Nang after a couple of hours walking around.

Took some nice photos of Chinese tourists though ............ loved Saigon.

IMG_20190705_075137.jpg

Edited by BritManToo