Big Decision: Which Asian country is ideal for foreign retirees?

webfact

1 hour ago, geisha said:

I’m lucky enough to live in the south of France near Cannes, 200 m from beach, perfectly clean and water checked regularly to get the blue flag. I’ve nearly always spent winters in Thailand, sometimes Bali or S America. I think, probably with age creeping up, I’ve had my dose of Thailand. Nothing functions here, the place is falling apart. Corruption is rife and poverty on the rise. For my future getaways, I’m planning the south coasts of Italy, went to southern Spain last year …Seville and Granada , I was blown away. Great people. Can speak there too, hold conversations is becoming a necessity. Then, as soon as the worse of this pandemic is over, I’m planning on French Polynesia . Loads of the most beautiful islands in the world to visit , and why not Fiji etc after. Don’t think I’ll settle anywhere for very long, 3 months is fine .I think there’s an age where you can be adventurous, tread unknown paths, take a few mild risks, ( the jungles trecks in Borneo being one) . Seen so many beautiful,places, Machu Picchu, lake Titicaca, Equator, Brazil and jungles , Guatemala volcanos and Mexican lost temples, everything is beautiful . Why limit yourself to Asia, I’ve been nearly everywhere, except North and South Korea, the world is huge and we have a choice. As someone above said, you don’t have to retire all year in one country . Of course, those are my views not for the average retiree I suppose. 

I love France, but so much found of french, as many other nathionalites with to much pride and arrogance (generally speaking out of my own experience) 

I could enjoy Switzerland, but then again, the need for sun and hot weather in the winter would rule out Switzerland

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

Vietnam doesn't even have a retirement visa, so much as I like visiting the country, it has no business being on that list.

If Thailand didn't have an incompetent government and nonsensical immigration procedures, it would be pretty much perfect. Even as it is, I think it's pretty good.

Been to Vietnam several times, over a 20 year period. Both the north and the South. Generally found the people to be heavy hearted, not particularly friendly, a bit like cold fish, and not playful like the Thais. 

Been there as a single man and with my Thai woman. They were even worse with my woman. Rude and cold. No thanks. 

• Like 1

Who wrote this no-research, no-reality "article"? There are a whole list of non-gems that should be mentioned for various of the listed countries... Not wanting to be negative, but solid information before you decide to move to a country is what it takes, not a page filler.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NanaSomchai said:

Singapore is THE true gem of South East Asia.

PROS:

- Amazing infrastructure.

- Best healthcare of the entire region.

- Regional internet hub (think of fiber internet symmetrical 1Gbps installed in every homes).

- No censorship laws of any kind.

- Helpful police/government officials.

- Zero tolerance to drugs or corruption.

- Reasonable real estate laws.

- One of the most fair legal/laws system in the World.

CONS:

- Real estate is unaffordable to most of us.

- Bad/terrible food with arguably poor hygiene (but this is very subjective).

- Poor pay4play female interactions.

Basically Singapore is the Switzerland of Asia.

Nothing else comes even close to it, not even Hong Kong.

For working expats.

Its not a place for retired expats.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, geisha said:

As someone above said, you don’t have to retire all year in one country . Of course, those are my views not for the average retiree I suppose. 

In the words of Han Solo:

Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other; I've seen a lot of strange stuff...

I traveled in Asia for work for almost 20 years and nowadays have no desire to travel unless there is a need to travel. And living in what would be the equivalent of Iowa in Thailand doesn't bother me at all.

• Like 1

Thailand does NOT have an easy to renew annual retirement visa. You need to prove THB 800,000 (USD$25K) income p.a. or income/fixed deposit in a bank which is higher than social security pensions from most countries. In addition you require expensive health cover. I do not understand why Thailand isn't content to settle for annual income/assets of say THB 500,000 paid by Social Security in the vatious countries directly into a Thai bank, considering that it is coming in as foreign currency and EVERY BAHT OF IT IS GOING TO BE SPENT IN THAILAND. What's the downside?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

I recently moved to live on the island of Mauritius... wait!  I think I mentioned that before ????

Tell us more about Mauritius, pros and cons.  Everything I've ever heard of it suggests it is paradisal....

12 minutes ago, Brian Hull said:

Thailand does NOT have an easy to renew annual retirement visa. You need to prove THB 800,000 (USD$25K) income p.a. or income/fixed deposit in a bank which is higher than social security pensions from most countries. In addition you require expensive health cover. I do not understand why Thailand isn't content to settle for annual income/assets of say THB 500,000 paid by Social Security in the vatious countries directly into a Thai bank, considering that it is coming in as foreign currency and EVERY BAHT OF IT IS GOING TO BE SPENT IN THAILAND. What's the downside?

Transfer minimum 65 000,- bath a month 12 months, or embassy approved income, no insurance proof needed when renewed in Thailand

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

If starting again Japan, Israel or Indonesia

Uruguay, Paraguay, Ecuador, Portugal, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama -- all of them offer easy retirement conditions and a favorable cost-of-living index. 

Edited by Misterwhisper

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

That kind of sordid, sleazy, 15 minute wham bam on sweat stained sheets with a pimped, trafficked junkie is not comparable to night life here in Thailand

For once (but just once) I'll have to agree with you. That place is sordid, drugs den and HIV nest.

Not the typical GFE experience you would be getting in Thailand.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Uruguay, Paraguay, Ecuador, Portugal, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama -- all of them offer easy retirement conditions and a favorable cost-of-living index. 

- Ecuador, Portugal, Costa Rica: Yes.

- Panama, Mexico: So, so.

- Uruguay, Paraguay: Not at all.

Off that list two retain my attention:

- Portugal has decent healthcare and hospitals, should things go bad, you can rely on it's hospital system, if not, in case of a lethal injury, Spain and France are next door.

- Mexico has poor healthcare and the quality of hospitals is less than desirable, however it is geographically on USA's doorsteps, therefore; if you have the $$$ and can afford it, in case of a serious trauma, it's always good to know the good ole' USA are next door.

Again, my two cents.

Edited by NanaSomchai
  • Thanks 1