Retirement Visa Non-O - switch to monthly income when renewing?

Hi. I am currently on a non-O for retirement, with a lump sum deposit in a Thai bank. From my current understanding, 3 months before I apply for a renewal later this year, I need to ensure I have 800,000 baht there, and meanwhile I keep 400,000 at all times. 

When I applied, for a number of reasons, I could not do the monthly income option but that is now possible for me. Is it possible to switch to this method, and what would it entail? (not for my current visa obviously, but for my renewal). I imagine I would need to be depositing 65,000 every month for 1 year prior to my renewal date in addition to keeping the 400,000 deposited to meet the current visa requirement. Or, it may not be allowed at all in which case I would leave Thailand for a few months, and then enter and start the process over. 

Thanks for any advice especially from anyone who has faced a similar situation

ML

When you apply for your next extension you would need to show bank book records satisfying the requirements from previous extension..

That being ...800k for 3 months post extension then not below 400k and back up to 800k prior to next application.

To switch to income method you would need to start those income deposits for 2 months prior to your next application.

Obviously there is an overlap.

I suggest taking the bank deposit back up to 800k 2 months prior to next extension just in case their is an issue with immigration..

• Like 2

I think this is a grey area due to the new rules.

By right, the current extension should only look at 12 past months (12 months statement) from application date. That's what my officer did.

So theoretically, your monthly switch should start from the month of your next extension so that the officer can see the past 12 months movement.

In previous extensions, I think a 3 months monthly transfer before extension date would be sufficient but might not apply with the new rules.

It's best to ask the immigration officer to confirm where a 3 months monthly transfer is sufficient instead.

Edited by EricTh

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration would want proof of a year of transfers to prove the income.

Think I've misread the OP.

My understanding is that he  currently has an extension using money in bank method and that for his NEXT extension he wants to switch to income method. 

Would he still require a year of transfers in that situation. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes

Many people have been denied their extension application if they did not have a year of transfers.

When using the money in the bank you are proving the coming year when you apply and when using the income option by showing transfers you are proving the past year.

I thought the non O visa extension based on retirement allowed only the 800k baht deposit method and did not allow the option of monthly foreign transfers of min. 65k baht?

As far as I understand, Phuket immigration will do the monthly transfer method, but only combo. You must keep 400,000 in the bank at all times, but can meet the remainder of the requirement with monthly transfers.

No straight income 65k transfer method allowed. So, it may also depend on which office you use.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'd be happy to unlock those funds.

26 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

I thought the non O visa extension based on retirement allowed only the 800k baht deposit method and did not allow the option of monthly foreign transfers of min. 65k baht?

Transfers from abroad to prove the 65k baht income has been allowed since December of 2018.

• Thanks 2

I too would love to convert to the monthly deposit method, but looking at Koh Samui immigration requirement is that 65k needed 12 months prior…with. Letter from the embassy.

Anyone gone through the process of acquiring that letter?

Im considering letting my non O expire in June since I will be in the States for the Summer months, and applying for a new 90 day Non O (since the covid insurance costs will be reduced to a 90 day term vs. a 270 day term)…then apply for the extension in TH 2 weeks prior to expiration. 
Sound feasible?

9691497B-EAD0-4D53-9B94-AA33E2182347.jpeg

4 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

I too would love to convert to the monthly deposit method, but looking at Koh Samui immigration requirement is that 65k needed 12 months prior…with. Letter from the embassy.

It is not both. Note it has or after each option.

53 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

Anyone gone through the process of acquiring that letter?

Im considering letting my non O expire in June since I will be in the States for the Summer months, and applying for a new 90 day Non O (since the covid insurance costs will be reduced to a 90 day term vs. a 270 day term)…then apply for the extension in TH 2 weeks prior to expiration. 
Sound feasible?

9691497B-EAD0-4D53-9B94-AA33E2182347.jpeg

US Embassy Bangkok does not offer that letter.  US citizens cannot use that method.  Has been that way ever since US, UK, and Australia unilaterally stopped issuing those letters for their citizens. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Srikcir said:

800K in the bank.

Or 65k monthly income.

Or a combination of both.

On your next visa extension you must show $800k/400k requirements or the last 12 months of monthly statements…

why duplicate it? Just do the lump sum method until your next expiration date and then start the monthly income of your new extension in that first month….

has to be foreign income from the outside into your account 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

On your next visa extension you must show $800k/400k requirements or the last 12 months of monthly statements…

why duplicate it? Just do the lump sum method until your next expiration date and then start the monthly income of your new extension in that first month….

has to be foreign income from the outside into your account 

I stated similar above in thread.

I'm still confused about this. 

I was thinking same.

Do one year of money in bank method then prior to obtaining next extension commence income method few months prior to application and continue money in bank at same time. 

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I stated similar above in thread.

I'm still confused about this. 

I was thinking same.

Do one year of money in bank method then prior to obtaining next extension commence income method few months prior to application and continue money in bank at same time. 

Only for the first extension of stay can a few months of income transferred into the country can be used. If on a extension already or you have been in the country for some time it has to be a year of transfers.

This from the immigration order allowing the transfers option is what immigration uses to deny less than 12 months of transfers.

image.png.96984826fcc4c233e056ce94ac4600b0.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1