Any techies help with this issue please ?

CharlieH

Its not the end of the world but its just irritating.

Every time the pc starts/restarts it knocks out the wireless keyboard and mouse controller.

The first step is to remove the USB dongles.(keyborad /mouse)

The AMD usb controller at the top of the tree in the device manager has to be removed. Then use scan for changes, then its reinstalled and re-insert the dongles and your good to go.

I have searched the net and tried various solutions but none appear to work, most refer to Windows 2000 so are ancient.

This only started a few months ago after an update, but it's annoying.

Edit:

Acer Laptop used as desktop with added monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse.

42 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Which brings me on to the connected issue, my computer shuts itself down if left connected to the net ? If I just leave it and go out, after a period of time it will totally power off !

I remember this being reported as an issue with Win 7. I am presuming you are on Win 10 although you don't specify?

From memory something to do with a disabling a setting on wake or similar. 

A quick Brave search came up with this - 

https://silicophilic.com/internet-disconnects-when-computer-sleeps/

Apologies if already looked at these settings.

No idea on the USB issues but sounds like a conflict. If it was ok before maybe try rolling back drivers.

An unlikely possibility is perhaps to try changing the batteries in the mouse/keyboard?

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

This only started a few months ago after an update, but it's annoying.

Likely there will be another update which will fix that problem. And maybe that new update is released already and maybe not (yet).

Check all relevant drivers like USB drivers, maybe drivers for the keyboard/mouse, etc.

If you want to ask the experts then do it here: https://superuser.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nearest issue i had to this was the printer always showing offline when i wanted to use it. I would have to power it off and swap the usb port so that it would detect it and connect up again. Very annoying. Eventually fixed it using the Driver genius program. Run it and it automatically updates all your drivers. Worked a charm and it fixed a few other things that were wrong - like one 4k monitor only displaying 1080 on startup. 

Disable the 'Fast Start Up Option' in Power Options - System Settings under Change Settings that are currently unavailable.

All of the drivers which are currently installed on your system would be freshly made to run again on booting up of the system. Therefore, your PC might need a longer amount of time to start up. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Every time the pc starts/restarts it knocks out the wireless keyboard and mouse controller.

What does "knock-out" mean, in techie terms?

These devices no longer work? If so, how do you manage the fix? Booting in Safe Mode.

Motherboard make and model and FW rev?

Keyboard/mouse make model and rev?

Try the dongle on a different USB port, try the MB USB ports first.

In a similar situation I reverted to a wired keyboard and mouse - I spent at least 30 days trouble-shooting.

Recall having such an issue long ago - and another if not remove external drive prior to updates.  Gave up and use USB mouse/keyboards now.  Still have mouse not load on occasion but a restart fixes that.  Computer is old, old but keeps on working so can not justify replacing (but guess will have to do so when Win 10 stops being supported).

Ok, soI  tried a few of the suggestions and no change.

Yes the drivers were checked for updates. As was the OS.

Yes the power profiles have been checked changed adjusted tried.

Yes, the suggested software tool was used, no apparent errors showing.

Here is what is showing on start.restart if the dongles are in the ports. Remove them, uninstall the controller, scan for change, puts it back, plug the dongles back in, all good, until the next start/restart.

image.png.6d8f42c1375cc4dda7ff78d8a7af8568.png

14 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Yes, could try that, from the manufacturers website, not Microsoft.  The OP said he did some updates, so I would start with a roll back first. 

I am not sure if they all work the same. I have had several wifi mouse keyboard combos and when the dongle has been first inserted there has been the message "installing drivers".One would assume that the drivers are on the dongle.

The OP never mentioned if he was getting that message when the dongle was reinserted. Everything points to an issue with the drivers. Only speculating here but maybe Windows has replaced the drivers with a generic version that is problematic. Every time the OP has an issue he puts back the generic drivers rather than proper ones. It may be a question of removing the drivers and then inserting the dongle.

14 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Ok, soI  tried a few of the suggestions and no change.

Yes the drivers were checked for updates. As was the OS.

Yes the power profiles have been checked changed adjusted tried.

Yes, the suggested software tool was used, no apparent errors showing.

Here is what is showing on start.restart if the dongles are in the ports. Remove them, uninstall the controller, scan for change, puts it back, plug the dongles back in, all good, until the next start/restart.

image.png.6d8f42c1375cc4dda7ff78d8a7af8568.png

I am also using a wifi mouse keyboard, not that well informed on drivers but would suggest you look under Human Interface Devices rather than system.

Had a quick look on mine and all the drivers you can see are microsoft from 2006 so not sure what a driver check would actually be looking at.

I have 2 vendor compliant devices listed and 2 USB input devices listed. I would suggest uninstalling those 4 devices with the dongle out and then reinserting it to see what happens.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2022 at 1:10 PM, sandyf said:

I am not sure if they all work the same. I have had several wifi mouse keyboard combos and when the dongle has been first inserted there has been the message "installing drivers".One would assume that the drivers are on the dongle.

The OP never mentioned if he was getting that message when the dongle was reinserted. Everything points to an issue with the drivers. Only speculating here but maybe Windows has replaced the drivers with a generic version that is problematic. Every time the OP has an issue he puts back the generic drivers rather than proper ones. It may be a question of removing the drivers and then inserting the dongle.

I would try that also.  Like I said, rather than updating drivers, roll them back to a working driver.

Could roll the machine back to pre windows updates using a restore point, and then be selective with the windows updates.  

• Like 1